Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Phroobar

Can I gloat for being right about the Stuntronic coming to the campus?
Until they actually open the campus and the stuntronic performances are cut from the budget thanks to Shanghai.

Seriously, how often do we really expect them to be launching that thing every day? How many weeks will go by until we never see it again?

I can't wait for the Disney lawyers to find out and kill it because it might get shot too far/short injuring a guest.

ProjectXBlog

Until they actually open the campus and the stuntronic performances are cut from the budget thanks to Shanghai.

Seriously, how often do we really expect them to be launching that thing every day? How many weeks will go by until we never see it again?

I can't wait for the Disney lawyers to find out and kill it because it might get shot too far/short injuring a guest.
i would love to be wrong but i totally agree. i cannot see this being something that is done consistently. i can easily see this becoming another observatron.

The Pho

I expect this to be like the Dragon or X Wings. A one off thing essentially. The TIE fighter didn’t even get to make an appearance before it got budget cut, even though it was ready.

Of course if it’s around longer that would be much better. It’s a cool animatronic.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

i would love to be wrong but i totally agree. i cannot see this being something that is done consistently. i can easily see this becoming another observatron.

Well, seeing as how it's pretty much automated aside from hooking up the figure, I don't think it would be a big deal... and they seem to have figured out how to get it to launch and land perfectly. I would expect it to happen randomly throughout the day, or perhaps at specific times.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

I don't see how a Marvel Superhero Land doesn't have a perennial Spider-Man M&G, especially since he has his own ride. It'll be like Ariel's Grotto next to the VotLM ride. So, I'd expect every hour or half hour, they'd catapult Spider-Dummy, and announce he's arrived at his M&G.

Not to mention a catapult happening right before he appears in any outdoor stage show.

It'd be like the dragon belching fire at Potterland.

SuddenStorm

Can I gloat for being right about the Stuntronic coming to the campus?

Please do! I don't think it was something anyone on here was expecting. Honestly, we don't follow WDI or Disneyland too closely on here so it's kinda nice when someone can connect the dots for us.

Well, seeing as how it's pretty much automated aside from hooking up the figure, I don't think it would be a big deal... and they seem to have figured out how to get it to launch and land perfectly. I would expect it to happen randomly throughout the day, or perhaps at specific times.

I'm trying to think of other automated effects/figures in lands and rides that were short lived, despite being automated. Or technology advertised by WDI that never actually makes it into the finished product (looking at you, Galaxy's Edge). There surely can't be many examples, since if something is pretty much automated it's not a big deal- and always works perfectly and just as WDI designed in their workshop.

Let's start with Adventureland's Barker Bird- said to be removed to help alleviate congestion it caused at the entrance.

1580421825512.png

Further along Adventureland there's Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the broken ice machine. An ambitious effect designed to provide a sense of realism to the attraction, it worked sporadically and was turned off completely within a year or two. And this is ignoring the vehicle randomization and audio tracks that haven't been heard in years. Footage can be found here (4:55 mark)-

Moving along the river, there's the old, abandoned yet remarkably well maintained Mansion that's now offerings tours to thousands of unsuspecting tourists a day. Little do they know, the Mansion is home to a forlorn ghost bride and her groom has the remarkable ability to lose his head. Or at least, it was for a couple weeks back in '69 until the groom disappeared for decades until remarkably reappearing in 2015.

1580422330947.png

Just past this immaculate let eerily creepy Mansion we wander into the Bayous, and happen to stumble into a river populated by singing geese, cabin fever ridden rabbits, and hungry foxes. There's also a bear that's 'mounted on truck shocks, connected via springs to the figure. The hydraulics fire randomly making the figure flail in incredible ways" (Bruce Gordon, in a presentation given in 1988)- at least the figure did, until it went completely static, never to flail or shock again-

1580423314657.png

Hopping on over to the other side of the hub, there's the Observatron in Tomorrowland. A skinned version of the '67 iteration of Rocket Jets, it used to turn on at regular interviews, appearing as if it was receiving a transmission from another world. I can't even remember the last time I saw that thing move.

1580421895866.png

And does anyone remember the completely automated asteroid in Space Mountain? You know, the one that hasn't been lit in years in Anaheim despite operating daily (or, at least daily until a few days ago) in Hong Kong's clone of the attraction? Here's a photo of the one built for Hong Kong-

1580422465822.png

I also remember the Jolly Trolley in Toontown. If only that darn thing was still Jolly, and working as a trolley- instead of a static road block it is today.

1580422554312.png

Anyways, congratulations for predicting that this figure WDI advertised all over the internet a couple years ago that moves remarkably similar to our friendly neighborhood teenage arachnid was, in fact, intended for that exact purpose. If you could tell me the first few numbers that pop into your head I would really appreciate it. The holiday season took it's toll financially and I could really use a lotto win or two.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

I’m honestly a little surprised. They must feel strongly that it’s safe. I figured we’d be a few years away considering that he ll be swinging very close to guests standing below him.

Definitely. It's really an amazing figure, and it's remarkably ambitious- it's exciting to see it implemented. Though I share many others reservations on the safety/reliability of the figure.

Disney Analyst

Definitely. It's really an amazing figure, and it's remarkably ambitious- it's exciting to see it implemented. Though I share many others reservations on the safety/reliability of the figure.

I mean, it is WDI so of course it could vanish after the first year... But I am hopeful in 2020 they can hopefully work out to be reliable for years to come... I'm an optimist.

ProjectXBlog

I’m honestly a little surprised. They must feel strongly that it’s safe. I figured we’d be a few years away considering that he ll be swinging very close to guests standing below him.
will guests be below, though? i assumed we would just see him springing up from the roof of the ride building at random intervals

BrianLo

Original Poster
Welp... there it is! Movements are identical to the "dummy testing" seen in Imagineering Story ep 6.

After all the ambitious (quite frankly less so) pipe dreams for Galaxy Edge land kinetics were cut, I’m very impressed to see them try to carry this forward.

An AA essentially shot out of a canon is not something one would have expected to make it out of R&D... I mean it still might not, but they clearly held it back long enough to be confident.

D

Deleted member 107043

Yeah OK but how often has the DP&R official Twitter account hyped something a few months before launch that didn't come to pass? It's pretty rare, if ever.

D.Silentu

the Observatron in Tomorrowland. A skinned version of the '67 iteration of Rocket Jets, it used to turn on at regular interviews, appearing as if it was receiving a transmission from another world. I can't even remember the last time I saw that thing move.
I know it hasn't moved in years, but I recall they added some interesting lighting features for the first Tomorrowland Star Wars promotion. Are those still active?
And does anyone remember the completely automated asteroid in Space Mountain? You know, the one that hasn't been lit in years
Beg pardon, but was our asteroid ever lit? I know I haven't ever seen it, save for the WDI photo that you posted.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom