Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

mickEblu

We'll have to see how Epcot's Guardians turns out and make the comparison in a few years. I presume the Roller Coaster system would have been a similar play to what they are doing.

I don't know if a coaster in a box helps round out DCA's library though or does more for Marvel. I'm still not convinced WDI has really achieved a great indoor coaster outside of Space Mountain. Given "Tron" or "Flight of Passage", the later probably will help DCA out more and be more fitting of that property

But in a different world a ride like RoTR and Mickey and Minnie would have been the perfect compliment to DCA. I'd love for their next E-tickets after Marvel to skew closer to Tokyo Disney Seas' FantasySprings with a couple heavily laden E-ticket dark rides.

I also know I exist out on a weird limb, but I perceive Mission Breakout to be a relatively practical ride.

I also am starting to think Mission Breakout is my favourite ride in that park. This is a blockable offence.

I think you mean favorite Ride System**

As a frequent visitor of Disney parks around the world, I think the fact that it’s a novelty in the Disney Parks universe also factors into your decision.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Have you seen the flight of passage building?
Not in person, but yes I have. I get what you are saying with regards to size of building and my comment on simulators. But there has already been a statement from Disney stating this won't be like FoP. That is confirmation that this will not just be FoP with different vehicles.

So until otherwise confirmed by either an insider here (which I don't believe there has been yet, correct me if I'm wrong) or Disney themselves. I'm going on the basis so far that this is not a pure simulator ride or maybe even not a simulator at all.

mickEblu

I’d say it is. Avengers is an action heavy property. The universe leans strongly into the use of CGI, building something with practical effects that live up to the film would be a tall order. A mix with primarily screens (like Spider-Man) is really the ideal format for a superhero attraction.

I agree. I think a coaster or advanced simulator are the only options. A dark ride would end up being some weird hybrid where the sum would be less than all its parts.

spiderman however I think could have been more physical with screens just simulating Spider-Man’s movement.

Unfortunately Marvel and Star Wars just don’t lend themselves to long passive experiences like POTC and HM.

planodisney

This sounds pretty freakin cool!!!
So when Avengers Campus is finished it will be a very complete land. GOTG, Spiderman and Avengers rides, a themed sit down eatery and the Dr. Strange effects show. I just rode FOP for the first time last month. Been to Pandora 3 times but never could brave the stand by wait.
All I can say is if the Avengers ride/ride system is a step up from that, which is basically stated in that OC Register article, then HOLY CRAP!!

britain

Not in person, but yes I have. I get what you are saying with regards to size of building and my comment on simulators. But there has already been a statement from Disney stating this won't be like FoP. That is confirmation that this will not just be FoP with different vehicles.

So until otherwise confirmed by either an insider here (which I don't believe there has been yet, correct me if I'm wrong) or Disney themselves. I'm going on the basis so far that this is not a pure simulator ride or maybe even not a simulator at all.

They also consider FoP totally unique, not an evolution of Soarin.

Their recent statements do nothing to make me think this isn’t going to be FoP with a different loading rig/mechanism.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Their recent statements do nothing to make me think this isn’t going to be FoP but with a different loading rig/mechanism.

I wonder if it will be a similar system but with a way to gather the seats together inside a ship, then move the seats apart so the ride becomes independent?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Their recent statements do nothing to make me think this isn’t going to be FoP but with a different loading rig/mechanism.
Well either way it’ll still be an interesting couple of years to discuss it while we wait.

Personally I’m leaning toward it being a Kuka arm ride system, as others have mentioned.

BrianLo

Original Poster
I think you mean favorite Ride System**

As a frequent visitor of Disney parks around the world, I think the fact that it’s a novelty in the Disney Parks universe also factors into your decision.

Definitely, but formerly Tower of Terror wasn’t my top pick. Novelty helps. The ride profile changes helped for re-rideability. The fact RSR is no longer the spring chicken and there aren’t really other major attractions of merit at DCA all help prop it up.

Animaniac93-98

there aren’t really other major attractions of merit at DCA

That's one of my biggest problems with DCA and why I'd rank it low on a list of Disney second gates.

The park has many rides, but most of them are junk or just OK. RSR and Grizzly River Run are the only truly good rides, and one is weather dependent. ToT and California Screamin' were also fun, but now they've been "improved". Soarin's many clones now make the once unique ride no longer interesting.

BrianLo

Original Poster
That's one of my biggest problems with DCA and why I'd rank it low on a list of Disney second gates.

The park has many rides, but most of them are junk or just OK. RSR and Grizzly River Run are the only truly good rides, and one is weather dependent. ToT and California Screamin' were also fun, but now they've been "improved". Soarin's many clones now make the once unique ride no longer interesting.

Indeed. I don’t dislike Grizzly either. But Shanghai essentially replicates the whole area with Adventure Isle. A longer raft ride with a Big AA. A better dressed soaring. A better QS. + a show AND a way better play area with something for adults.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I thought Universal had an exclusive license for the Kuka arm technology. No?
No, there is no such agreement between Universal and Kuka that I could ever find. That was an internet rumor debunked the moment Sum of All Thrills opened in Epcot 10 years ago which used Kuka technology (almost a full year before Forbidden Journey opened at Universal).

mickEblu

Grizzly River Run is easily the best ride at DCA.

And unfortunately its the E ticket I ride the least. Between the weather factor, getting soaked and other members of my party not wanting to ride it. The best ride at DCA used to be TOT. I still ride GOTG way more often for Grizzly River Run due to the factors listed above. I guess Im able to separate the concepts of 'best' and 'most fun.' To help with that i do the "which one would i save if they were hanging off a cliff' test. So in the hanging off the cliff test nothing beats POTC at DL or Grizzly River Run at DCA.

PymParty

I hope the Avengers ride will be Disney's answer to Forbidden Journey : a kuka arm ride, that gives riders the illusion of flying while moving in the showbuidling, with screens and a DECENT AMOUNT of practical effects and AA.
I agree an updated Kuka arm ride system would be perfect for this attraction and seems possible after what they have announced.

I really don't think it will be another simulator or FoP style ride.
We have to keep in mind that FoP opened in a park with almost no screen-based ride / simulator (ITTBAB is the only one I can think of) so the ride system complemented DAK's offering perfectly.
The case is not the same at DCA, which has a lot of screen based rides and especially FoP's older brother Soarin'.
If this ride is supposed to be DCA's new headliner, I hope it will be something there isn't yet : a massive dark ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom