Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Brer Oswald

Is he appearing without a shirt?
3DC39F27-D4E6-44A4-9327-E62DC29B3B3D.png

mickEblu

Avengers Campus looks cool at night but it appears to be kind of disjointed. Kind of like we re at a Convention and every super hero has their own “booth.” I knew it wasn't going to be as charming or cohesive as Bugs Land but I’m sure for the majority of people this will be seen as a net gain just for having one real ride alone, let alone all the popular Marvel characters.The jury is still out for me. ITTBAB was a real Disney quality experience from the queue to the show. The land worked better next to Cars Land and had a lot of trees/ greenery. That back path from Cars Land to Bugs Land was one of the only areas in DCA that had a more intimate DL side path/ alley feel.

I’ll sum it up as Bugs Land even with its cheap carnival rides felt more Disney. It was a pleasure walking through there. But I guess there lies the rub. “Walking through.” Marvel land is flashier, edgier and probably more fun for a wider demo.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I agree. It's a combination of lack of space, conflicting design styles and the fact that it's still not complete.

When currently makes up Avengers Campus in HKDL is even smaller, but it's at least more consistent in design.

Yeah they just wanted to fit as many popular Marvel characters/ experiences as possible into a very confined space. In and of itself that Dr Strange area looks cool but it’s like 20 feet wide and in between a warehouse and a slick Avengers building.

mickEblu

And it seems to lack shade. BugsLand was a pleasant, charming space to sit and people watch while eating a Mickey-shaped ice cream. From what images I've seen, Avenger's Campus does not have that charming "I want to sit here for awhile" feeling. I hope I'm wrong.

I’m betting you are not wrong from what I’ve seen. You want shade? Go buy a $20 pretzel and sit inside Pym. Haha.

I would have liked to see Pym with a second level seating area under a pergola with vines or something with a nice beirgarten vibe.

Californian Elitist

Avengers Campus looks cool at night but it appears to be kind of disjointed. Kind of like we re at a Convention and every super hero has their own “booth.” I knew it wasn't going to be as charming or cohesive as Bugs Land but I’m sure for the majority of people this will be seen as a net gain just for having one real ride alone, let alone all the popular Marvel characters.The jury is still out for me. ITTBAB was a real Disney quality experience from the queue to the show. The land worked better next to Cars Land and had a lot of trees/ greenery. That back path from Cars Land to Bugs Land was one of the only areas in DCA that had a more intimate DL side path/ alley feel.

I’ll sum it up as Bugs Land even with its cheap carnival rides felt more Disney. It was a pleasure walking through there. But I guess there lies the rub. “Walking through.” Marvel land is flashier, edgier and probably more fun for a wider demo.
I thought the exact same thing. There’s no cohesion. Every attraction/food spot/meet & greet seems to have their own individual look to them but there doesn’t seem to be anything pulling the land as a whole together. Because of this, the aesthetics of the land aren’t cohesive either, it looks like. It seems random. Nothing is screaming Marvel/comic books to me. I know I’m going to have to see it in person to be sure of this, but that’s what it’s looking like, based on photos and footage.

I’ve always admired a bug’s land. Many people made fun of it, but it can’t be denied that it had cohesion and actually felt like a land. The theme was pulled together very nicely and I actually felt like I was supposed to be an insect.

ToTBellHop

It is meant to be a campus where all of the Avengers train, which I buy, and it would not be hard to explain you travel through one of those Dr. Strange portals (I’m sure they have a name) to get to him. It is oddly the first ride, Guardians, that I struggle the most to explain. Why on earth (or Knowhere or wherever) would it be there? Is it explained in the story? The Collector is just showing off his crap on earth and built this enormous, crazy-looking structure?

1618084915437.gif

mickEblu

It is meant to be a campus where all of the Avengers train, which I buy, and it would not be hard to explain you travel through one of those Dr. Strange portals (I’m sure they have a name) to get to him. It is oddly the first ride, Guardians, that I struggle the most to explain. Why on earth (or Knowhere or wherever) would it be there? Is it explained in the story? The Collector is just showing off his crap on earth and built this enormous, crazy-looking structure?

View attachment 547221

It’s there because of KABLAM! Remember?

It’s only a campus because that’s the backstory they decided to give this land where they could dump a bunch of Marvel characters into a confined space and also the cheapest way they could make it work aesthetically in DCA. They should of went with San Francisco or something.

J4546

i think this area is a huge improvement from bugs land, but thats just like, my opinion man.

The spiderman ride looks ok its a c-ticket attraction, a family friendly dark ride, not a big deal to me but CA needs more dark rides so Im all for it and Im sure it will be a fun addition. Plus the flying robot spiderman on the roof give the land some kinetic energy up front at the main entrance area. I think the GotG tower looming behind the spiderman ride looks cool as well from the main entrance approach angle.

The GotG is what it is, a rethemed tower of terror that was built 10 years ago. I like it a lot and its the main e-ticket attraction for the land at the moment. Some people like the og ToT better and thats cool. But regardless the ride itself is very fun to me.

The dr strange area is really neat looking, though im not sure what all is there, but the lighting looks fantastic.

The food options are cool, I dont drink so I dont really care about the microbrewery but Im sure a lot of people will enjoy it. There Pyms, A shwarma cart, and some kind of dessert/treats cart, so 3 food options.

Theres also a store. I dont really care about the store and the spiderman robots look not that great to me, not nearly as cool as the remote control bb8 we got from star wars land. But whatever ,its a store.

There also a stunt show thing that happens on the roof of the building with the quinjet on top, that adds a lot of kinetic energy to the main courtyard of the land. I think the building looks cool but will look a lot cooler when the major e-ticket expansion is built. speaking of which...

The expansion plans are really gonna take this area to the next level, I dont know when they are gonna build the major e-ticket ride or what it will be, but when they do, that area is so large, it will def be a huge ride and will be pretty amazing. probably. Unless they build like a tron lightcycle coaster thats been rethemed to thor or something. I mean, that would be cool but its a 1 minute ride. give me a 10 minute ride at least damnit!

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I wonder what the time intervals will be for the jumping Spidey AA ? Every hour on the hour? Every 15 minutes?? I wonder if they will have it going at first because it may cause people to gather and stand around in one area to look at it and that would be bad for social distancing.

mickEblu

My DCA would have a Marvel land based in San Francisco. Hollywoodland would get the BVS treatment. MMRR and the ink n Paint club would be in the backlot with the Red Car Trolley going through it. TOT would still be there of course. Paradise Pier got the full 3.0 treatment with a Coco suspended dark ride. Then they finally put in an E ticket boat ride in the eastern gateway expansion area or the Simba lot.

EDIT: how could I forget? Full time Soarin Over California

mickEblu

I wonder what the time intervals will be for the jumping Spidey AA will be? Every hour on the hour? Every 15 minutes?? I wonder if they will have it going at first because it may cause people to gather and stand around in one area to look at it and that would be bad for social distancing.

It will be at the grand opening and you’ll never see it again. Lol

mickEblu

A good way to think about it is If Avengers Campus didn’t have a name or a backstory what would people think the theme is? If there was no back story on the parks blog or a land marquee what the heck would people think it is? The best name for it is just Marvel Land. Because that’s what it is. Same thing with Pixar Pier. Just a place to dump a bunch of IP at the same place/ time.

ToTBellHop

A good way to think about it is If Avengers Campus didn’t have a name or a backstory what would people think the theme is? If there was no back story on the parks blog or a land marquee what the heck would people think it is? The best name for it is just Marvel Land. Because that’s what it is. Same thing with Pixar Pier. Just a place to dump a bunch of IP at the same place/ time.
Sure. Marvel is a bit tough—if you pick a location used in a current movie, it is dated in a couple years. It isn’t like Harry Potter with one location they go to again and again. Placing it in a California park increases the challenge. I honestly can’t think of a location other than NYC where you’d expect to see all of the Avengers, but that doesn’t work at DCA. They don’t have any iconic locations in CA (i.e. cities that they blow up).

G.L.A.D.I.O

A good way to think about it is If Fantasyland didn’t have a name or a backstory what would people think the theme is? If there was no back story on the parks blog or a land marquee what the heck would people think it is? The best name for it is just Disney animated features land . Because that’s what it is. Same thing with Pixar Pier. Just a place to dump a bunch of IP at the same place/ time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom