Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

mickEblu

Out of all the things in the MCU and Marvel comics history, I'd be curious to know why the spider-bots were singled out as the potential big merchandise thing.

The same reason Galaxies Edge is depressing. They re trying to stick to a hyper real story as opposed to giving the fans what they want. I’d imagine it went something like this.

1.Avengers Campus is the best idea for this plot of land due to its location, size constraints and budget

2. Spider-Man is the most iconic Marvel character. We need to have one attraction based on him.

3. The Spider-Man attraction needs to make sense in Avengers Campus.

4. We ll set the Spider-Man ride in a warehouse/ factory/ lab where spider bots escape. (Not saying this is the only route they could have taken here but it’s how they ended up here I think).

The other possibility is between # 3 and #4 they actually designed the toy first and then adapted the story for the attraction after kind of like they do with some children’s cartoons. If that’s the case it’s kind of a head scratcher because these things aren’t cool, cute or charming and I can’t see how the attraction would change that but I could be wrong. It’s hard to imagine them having any sort of charm or personality or for the story/ attraction making them more desirable outside of just their mere presence.

MarvelCharacterNerd

As a themed area in and of themselves, Pacific Wharf and BVS are much better than Hollywoodland. Again we re talking about THEME park lands. Shouldn’t they primarily be judged on how well they are themed/ designed and the atmosphere they provide as opposed to primarily being judged by the contents within their boundaries? Best rides and best entertainment should be other categories/ comparisons altogether. For example if you compare the rides of Hollywoodland with the rides of Grizzly Peak, it’s not really telling you anything about the lands themselves other than where these rides are located and maybe how their facades or outdoor portions of those attractions add to the context of the land.
Perhaps the disagreement here is in the semantics: you are saying that Hollywood Land objectively has the worst THEMING of any DCA land. That's a reasonable argument and one I've not disputed - theming is its weakness. But that's not an argument that the land is the worst LAND objectively, which is my point. It's not, for the reasons I've noted above.

Assessing only one aspect of the lands - the theme - without considering what is offered there in the land itself is not an objective assessment of the totality of the land. It's the same as my saying the entertainment or character offerings are better in one land or another. Those are subjective valuations or, if you prefer, each are only pieces of the objective total valuations.

If you only judge a land by theming and nothing else, then by your measure, Galaxy's Edge is the greatest land ever. ;) And objectively, yeah, there are some other lands like New Orleans Square and Fantasyland that would like to have a conversation with you... :D

But I think at this point we should simply agree to disagree as we've probably run the discussion into the ground and it's veering too far off thread topic. :)

SuddenStorm

Hahah at the Cinderella metaphor. Side note: For a while I considered it the greatest Disney animated feature film but I think Pinocchio has taken the top spot for now.

So why can their be an objective best land but not an objective worst?

Pinocchio is definitely the best Walt Disney animated film. None of the others come close- though I'm sure animators would want to give the top spot to Sleeping Beauty.

mickEblu

Pinocchio is definitely the best Walt Disney animated film. None of the others come close- though I'm sure animators would want to give the top spot to Sleeping Beauty.

Those animators would be a little biased and be basing that on the animation/ backgrounds alone. Both beautiful of course but if we re judging the whole package then it’s hard to put it first. Granted I’ve only seen Sleeping Beauty a 3 times and it’s been a few years but I remember it lacking in some other areas.

mickEblu

Perhaps the disagreement here is in the semantics: you are saying that Hollywood Land objectively has the worst THEMING of any DCA land. That's a reasonable argument and one I've not disputed - theming is its weakness. But that's not an argument that the land is the worst LAND objectively, which is my point. It's not, for the reasons I've noted above.

Assessing only one aspect of the lands - the theme - without considering what is offered there in the land itself is not an objective assessment of the totality of the land. It's the same as my saying the entertainment or character offerings are better in one land or another. Those are subjective valuations or, if you prefer, each are only pieces of the objective total valuations.

If you only judge a land by theming and nothing else, then by your measure, Galaxy's Edge is the greatest land ever. ;) And objectively, yeah, there are some other lands like New Orleans Square and Fantasyland that would like to have a conversation with you... :D

But I think at this point we should simply agree to disagree as we've probably run the discussion into the ground and it's veering too far off thread topic. :)

hahah ok fair enough. 👍

SuddenStorm

Those animators would be a little biased and be basing that on the animation/ backgrounds alone. Both beautiful of course but if we re judging the whole package then it’s hard to put it first. Granted I’ve only seen Sleeping Beauty a 3 times and it’s been a few years but I remember it lacking in some other areas.

Sleeping Beauty is one of those properties where the stuff surrounding it is better then the film itself. I found it to be a bit of bore. I care more about its impact on the park then I do the film itself.

Sleeping Beauty Castle in Disneyland is one of the most iconic structures built. Maleficent's Dragon is regularly used in the parks- most famously as the finale for Fantasmic, the greatest live show Disney's done.

Pinocchio does everything right. It's beautifully utilizes the best animation Walt Disney's studio could produce at the time. It's story is among the archetypal stories that western society was built on- and is relatable to every person worldwide. The opening song 'When You Wish Upon A Star' is basically Disney's theme song- rivaled only by Zip a Dee Doo Dah (at least until a couple months ago).

I'm about halfway through a mandatory quarantine due to testing positive from Covid, perhaps I should watch a few of these films again.

mickEblu

Sleeping Beauty is one of those properties where the stuff surrounding it is better then the film itself. I found it to be a bit of bore. I care more about its impact on the park then I do the film itself.

Sleeping Beauty Castle in Disneyland is one of the most iconic structures built. Maleficent's Dragon is regularly used in the parks- most famously as the finale for Fantasmic, the greatest live show Disney's done.

Pinocchio does everything right. It's beautifully utilizes the best animation Walt Disney's studio could produce at the time. It's story is among the archetypal stories that western society was built on- and is relatable to every person worldwide. The opening song 'When You Wish Upon A Star' is basically Disney's theme song- rivaled only by Zip a Dee Doo Dah (at least until a couple months ago).

I'm about halfway through a mandatory quarantine due to testing positive from Covid, perhaps I should watch a few of these films again.

Well said and agreed.

Oh no! How are you feeling buddy? Hopefully you are non symptomatic. Definitely a great time to watch some of those classics. I think I’ll do the same.

SuddenStorm

Well said and agreed.

Oh no! How are you feeling buddy? Hopefully you are non symptomatic. Definitely a great time to watch some of those classics. I think I’ll do the same.

I can't smell or taste a darn thing, which is how I knew to get tested. Had some minor cold symptoms, but have otherwise been fine!

Though being stuck in your bedroom kinda gets old after a bit! Though ive been able to watch an unhealthy amount of TV.

mickEblu

I can't smell or taste a darn thing, which is how I knew to get tested. Had some minor cold symptoms, but have otherwise been fine!

Though being stuck in your bedroom kinda gets old after a bit! Though ive been able to watch an unhealthy amount of TV.

Aw man you couldn’t taste anything on Thanksgiving? Sorry to hear this but glad to hear you re doing Ok!

Californian Elitist

I hope you get better as soon as possible!

SuddenStorm

Lol true but you want to tell me mom didn’t ship a plate to your room ?

I don't live near my parents, though some extended family that lives nearby dropped off some dinner, which was quite flavorless.

Which is in no way a slight on their cooking which looked divine. It's quite weird only being able to pick up on hints of sweet, salty, and spicy when eating.

DrAlice

I don't live near my parents, though some extended family that lives nearby dropped off some dinner, which was quite flavorless.

Which is in no way a slight on their cooking which looked divine. It's quite weird only being able to pick up on hints of sweet, salty, and spicy when eating.
I hope you get well soon! Please don't hesitate to call the doc if your symptoms hint at getting worse.
(Is there a font for mom voice? ;))

Take care of yourself.

Giss Neric

Being sick with COVID-19 alone inside a room?
If it's a mild case, you're basically just being legit quarantined for a while. Being positive has it's levels and it does have a high recovery rate as long as it's mild. It's avoiding the spread to fragile folks is what's most important.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom