Avengers Campus - Construction/Specifics

George Lucas on a Bench

Advertisement
Can you sign me into the park when it opens back up ?

TamvHnzyPPcDcJu-800x450-noPad.gif

J4546

i think the new land looks great! having 2 rides at the start (GoG and Spiderman) with the big 3rd ride being built later, a dr strange experience thingy, a restaurant, brewery, food carts, store, meetngreets, flying robots and whatever other scripted events happen....shaping up to be a fun addition. I know GoG has been around for a while (years really considering ToT) but it is obviously a part of the avengers campus

October82

i think the new land looks great! having 2 rides at the start (GoG and Spiderman) with the big 3rd ride being built later, a dr strange experience thingy, a restaurant, brewery, food carts, store, meetngreets, flying robots and whatever other scripted events happen....shaping up to be a fun addition. I know GoG has been around for a while (years really considering ToT) but it is obviously a part of the avengers campus

I don't think GotG really fits thematically, aesthetically or geographically in Marvel land. It's clear they didn't have a plan for the land when they axed ToT for it.

I'd also be really surprised if we ever see a third attraction at this point.

mickEblu

I know GoG has been around for a while (years really considering ToT) but it is obviously a part of the avengers campus

Obviously. The fact that it’s facing away and completely different colors than the rest of the land really tie it all in together. TOT was more sympatico with Bugs Land then GOTG:MB is with the actual land it’s supposed to be in.

Captn EO

I just finished reading the past few pages of this thread and I agree with most people here. My main problem is it seems like it's doing the exact same thing GE did, taking up a large amount of land for 1 (2 eventually) ride and a handful of shops and restaurants to get you to spend money. I know they have the Dr. Strange theater and meet and greets planned but it seems like so much space for so few actual things. I loved using Bugs Land as a getaway spot, there were plenty of seats, shade, they had the animal cracker box bathroom, and a few carts to buy a drink / snack while you relax. When I was younger my brothers and I loved the water feature there to run through and cool off during summer, and even on recent visits if there weren't any children running through me and my friends would either do a little walk through and see if we could make it out without getting splashed or even used it two summers ago when I was sweating my pants off to cool down in the park really quick.

Also, from looking at all those aerials it really makes me hate Guardians even more than I already do, it looks so terrible in every way. It genuinely feels like they used this ugly brown / bronze scheme so they could keep the base color from the ToT and just add on to it to save money / time instead of completely repainting. I know that's very very unlikely and they almost certainly had to repaint the entire thing, I just wish they went with some other color. It's so dang ugly. Another point everyone has brought up is delaying the land opening to 2021. I understand the reasoning and honestly I think the best course of action would be to delay the park until the big E-Ticket ride would open at the same time as the land, although I am not so sure that's on the table given the hold on spending the parks are all going to be going through for a while and especially since no progress has been made on the ride at all. I just feel like it would help avoid another GE fiasco, if they have a long with only the supplemental ride at opening people will go to the land, try the Instagrammable foods, take pictures with their favorite superheros, buy some merch, ride the one ride there, and leave. Especially since this land looks like it's gonna look like a community college campus there won't even be as much to go explore as there seems to be in GE (I haven't been yet so I can't talk from personal experience, just from photos and videos I've seen).

Aside from all this it still blows my mind that the land was supposed to be opening so soon and yet here we are. The parks have been having a pretty rough time for the last year or so but seeing the land at this stage when it was supposed to be open so soon really highlights how insane it has been, especially with the last 4ish months being closed.

Looking at the "IP Land" concept, it's so funny to me that Universal's Harry Potter Land and their upcoming Super Nintendo Land are better than efforts by Disney, who was once the king of themed entertainment.

Pandora is great, but the mega franchises Star Wars and The Avengers opened with ugly looking scenery and one mediocre ride amidst shops and restaraunts.

Cars I guess would be their only other good attempt at a land (although it has too much wasted space and takes up a huge foot print for no reason).

Is the common denominator that Cars had an advocate for making it good (Lasseter) and Pandora had an advocate as well (Cameron)? Maybe Disney on their own will just cheap out and needs someone continually yelling at them to just make something nice?

Smooch

Looking at the "IP Land" concept, it's so funny to me that Universal's Harry Potter Land and their upcoming Super Nintendo Land are better than efforts by Disney, who was once the king of themed entertainment.

Pandora is great, but the mega franchises Star Wars and The Avengers opened with ugly looking scenery and one mediocre ride amidst shops and restaraunts.

Cars I guess would be their only other good attempt at a land (although it has too much wasted space and takes up a huge foot print for no reason).

Is the common denominator that Cars had an advocate for making it good (Lasseter) and Pandora had an advocate as well (Cameron)? Maybe Disney on their own will just cheap out and needs someone continually yelling at them to just make something nice?

Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley were incredible when I went to Orlando last year, and I'm not even a Harry Potter fan. It was so fun to see people with their wands going around casting "magic" that wasn't activated by playing a dumb game on your iPhone inside a theme park. And the effects were practical and interesting, not just lights and beeping noises. And the theming was even better that what Disney has come up with recently because they don't consider the land "canon" and limit themselves to certain choices just to make a claim I'll never understand that you get to be within the real universe of Avatar or Star Wars when you're inside a theme park as a tourist.

Cars Land is the best single IP land in my opinion in any park, yes it is really big but it is something DCA desperately needs. Aside from Grizzly Peak DCA is a pretty ugly park and Cars Land is an IP that meshes with the whole California theme while incorporating an appropriate IP. The E-Ticket is really fun, I haven't tried the other ride before, and while there are still a decent amount of shops and restaurants / snack vendors for you to spend money on there are characters going through the land. How can Disney have multiple Cars driving through the land giving kinetic energy and sounds to the area which I can only imagine are more expensive than having some alien walkaround characters / droids roaming GE. Pandora doesn't have the ability to make Na'vi walk through the land so we just get that one guy that walks around in the mech suit while we have normal humans that practice Na'vi traditions like the drum show or whatever, it's a disconnect when there is literally only one physical Na'vi in the entire beautiful land and it's at the end of the supplemental ride of the land.

It seems like Disney left to its own devices will just cheap out and create poorer quality lands and rides when there isn't an external force making them create something better like you said with Cameron and Lasseter and even OLC for Tokyo Disneyland Resort (Disney Sea). It makes me really sad to see that Disney has honestly fallen from grace within the recent years with so many cheap overlays / attractions aside from Rise of the Resistance which has incredibly limited capacity and breaks down incredibly often (I know it's new and needs to work the kinks out but it's amazing how unreliable and low capacity the ride has been) inside of a land that lacks so much to make it feel like a real Disney land.

Captn EO

Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley were incredible when I went to Orlando last year, and I'm not even a Harry Potter fan. It was so fun to see people with their wands going around casting "magic" that wasn't activated by playing a dumb game on your iPhone inside a theme park. And the effects were practical and interesting, not just lights and beeping noises. And the theming was even better that what Disney has come up with recently because they don't consider the land "canon" and limit themselves to certain choices just to make a claim I'll never understand that you get to be within the real universe of Avatar or Star Wars when you're inside a theme park as a tourist.

Cars Land is the best single IP land in my opinion in any park, yes it is really big but it is something DCA desperately needs. Aside from Grizzly Peak DCA is a pretty ugly park and Cars Land is an IP that meshes with the whole California theme while incorporating an appropriate IP. The E-Ticket is really fun, I haven't tried the other ride before, and while there are still a decent amount of shops and restaurants / snack vendors for you to spend money on there are characters going through the land. How can Disney have multiple Cars driving through the land giving kinetic energy and sounds to the area which I can only imagine are more expensive than having some alien walkaround characters / droids roaming GE. Pandora doesn't have the ability to make Na'vi walk through the land so we just get that one guy that walks around in the mech suit while we have normal humans that practice Na'vi traditions like the drum show or whatever, it's a disconnect when there is literally only one physical Na'vi in the entire beautiful land and it's at the end of the supplemental ride of the land.

It seems like Disney left to its own devices will just cheap out and create poorer quality lands and rides when there isn't an external force making them create something better like you said with Cameron and Lasseter and even OLC for Tokyo Disneyland Resort (Disney Sea). It makes me really sad to see that Disney has honestly fallen from grace within the recent years with so many cheap overlays / attractions aside from Rise of the Resistance which has incredibly limited capacity and breaks down incredibly often (I know it's new and needs to work the kinks out but it's amazing how unreliable and low capacity the ride has been) inside of a land that lacks so much to make it feel like a real Disney land.
Great points! Even if I think Cars Land is too big, at least its meant to be fun.

That's hillarious that you mentioned how Cars Land has roaming Cars and even a Dance show yet Star Wars gets 2 Stormtroopers that were from Tommorowland.

Avatar definitely did make for a beautiful land but you are right about the lack of Navii. At the very least Avatar made a land people actually wanted to be in visually and thematically. It was something relaxing and fun.

Community College and Third World Country warzone don't give me the same feelings as trees/plants.

Rise is an awesome ride but I agree the 12 hour maintenance is rediculous. No reason the vehicles couldn't have been double the capacity they are now. Bigger vehicles can fit bigger batteries, not sure why anyone thought that ride's capacity was a non-issue.

Mousertainment

That's hillarious that you mentioned how Cars Land has roaming Cars and even a Dance show yet Star Wars gets 2 Stormtroopers that were from Tommorowland.
Sadly the dance show was pulled a while ago. They sent the DJ car to FL to use for a show there, but I don't know if they kept it going for long.

lazyboy97o

The Wizarding World has also had strong advocates in Rowling and Warner Bros. The original concepts for Hparry Potter was barely a redressing of Merlinwood. Super Nintendo World similarly has a strong advocate in Nintendo.

MansionButler84

In the Parks
No
The Wizarding World has also had strong advocates in Rowling and Warner Bros. The original concepts for Hparry Potter was barely a redressing of Merlinwood. Super Nintendo World similarly has a strong advocate in Nintendo.
And that’s how the same company that gives us Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey also gives us the Fast and the Furious ride.

Mike S

Try saying that to poor Orlando, which seems to always get the Studio Tour's leftovers as Screens: The Ride.
I mean, last time they did it they added way more to it and we got quite a few animatronics out of it including one of the best in Orlando. It really shows that there was a totally different mindset when bringing over Kong vs. bringing over F&F.

waltography

I mean, last time they did it they added way more to it and we got quite a few animatronics out of it including one of the best in Orlando. It really shows that there was a totally different mindset when bringing over Kong vs. bringing over F&F.

Fair enough. I still have my problems with Skull Island as a screen-based attraction that's lacking on pacing among other thing, but I concede it's the best they could do given the original attraction and the Kong animatronic is fantastic.

It’s still a ride. A very terrible ride at that, but factually, it is a ride.

I agree. It's a motion simulator - whether it's a good one or not is up for debate, but it's a simulator in the vein of Star Tours.

Top Bottom