Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Phroobar

Amazing that the biggest blockbuster series of the 21st century thus far would be developed into a Disneyland expansion that's expected to get "low ratings" once it's open.
The biggest blockbuster series of the 20th century that was developed into a Disneyland expansion was given "low ratings" once it's was open. Why wouldn't this too?

Phroobar

SW opened with no entertainment and a fairly lackluster ride. If it had opened with the other ride, it most definitely would have been received better.
Avengers Campus will open with no entertainment outside of meet and greets and a fairly lackluster ride. If it had opened with the other ride, it most definitely would be better received.

It is exact same situation as we saw last year. I bet the stuntbot will be seen for the opening ceremony and disappear forever.

Supreme Leader

Avengers Campus will open with no entertainment outside of meet and greets and a fairly lackluster ride. If it had opened with the other ride, it most definitely would be better received.

It is exact same situation as we saw last year. I bet the stuntbot will be seen for the opening ceremony and disappear forever.
With the whole Covid restrictions will meet and greets even happen???

planodisney

I haven’t been following this but has the Dr. Strange show been cancelled/postponed?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I haven’t been following this but has the Dr. Strange show been cancelled/postponed?
As of now the show is still slated to be part of the land when it opens. Recent aerial photos show the area still being built. We'll have to see as we get closer to its opening if it actually makes the cut.

Did they ever announce when this is opening? Is it opening with the park in July?
No they haven't updated the opening date yet. Some have suspected it'll be pushed back the same number of days the parks will have been closed which put it at around Thanksgiving.

TP2000

Did they ever announce when this is opening? Is it opening with the park in July?

Judging from that flyover photography taken a month ago, this project wasn't touched during the shutdown and is months behind it's original July 17th opening date.

Assuming they restarted construction in June, maybe it will open by Halloween? But assuming it's still abandoned and won't resume construction until the park opens July 17th, a Thanksgiving-ish opening seems more plausible.

I can't imagine they'll not restart construction sometime this summer. It's too close to completion to just let it sit for too long. But in a worst case scenario, they don't restart construction until the new fiscal year starts in October and then it opens next spring.

choco choco

Amazing that the biggest blockbuster series of the 21st century thus far would be developed into a Disneyland expansion that's expected to get "low ratings" once it's open.

Disney put no effort into this land. It is, basically, a retheme, a forced fit (deigning to even build a new building but mandating imagineering try to fit a ride into what was originally a one room theatre), and an unimaginative visual schema.

What's even more amazing to me is the lack of overall planning to balance out the two parks. It is Disneyland that needs another coaster/thrill ride and DCA that needs the long, height-restriction free dark ride. So DCA desperately needed the Mickey Railway ride and the Marvel thrill-thingie was actually the better fit at Disneyland, incorporating it into Tomorrowland (Tony Stark's Malibu mansion is literally John Lautner based architecture - the inventor of the Googie style that Tomorrowland uses). Going back even further, the Marvel work could then have funded the renewed Tomorrowland and Star Wars added to DCA, and the two parks could have then been a more balanced composition of e-tickets and varied ride experiences (DCA's current future is going to be very, very screen heavy), while still incorporating Disney's two favored adolescent male franchises.

thequeuelinelectures

It is a bit reassuring, knowing that Disney is obligated to build the ride in Hong Kong, making it less likely that they would back off replicating it here as the legwork is already complete.
Totally agreed. Even though the clones of rides are still shockingly expensive, it makes it just that much harder for the project to drop off the radar

Professortango1

Disney put no effort into this land. It is, basically, a retheme, a forced fit (deigning to even build a new building but mandating imagineering try to fit a ride into what was originally a one room theatre), and an unimaginative visual schema.

What's even more amazing to me is the lack of overall planning to balance out the two parks. It is Disneyland that needs another coaster/thrill ride and DCA that needs the long, height-restriction free dark ride. So DCA desperately needed the Mickey Railway ride and the Marvel thrill-thingie was actually the better fit at Disneyland, incorporating it into Tomorrowland (Tony Stark's Malibu mansion is literally John Lautner based architecture - the inventor of the Googie style that Tomorrowland uses). Going back even further, the Marvel work could then have funded the renewed Tomorrowland and Star Wars added to DCA, and the two parks could have then been a more balanced composition of e-tickets and varied ride experiences (DCA's current future is going to be very, very screen heavy), while still incorporating Disney's two favored adolescent male franchises.

Yeah, but an Avengers ride wouldn't fit in Tomorrowland unless it involved us using Primm Particles to travel backwards in time to help them in the past.

mickEblu

I mostly agree. In my perfect DLR world, Star Wars Land would have went to DCA In the Simona lot/ DCA expansion as well as MMRR in the Holllywood backlot. Marvel Land goes to TL but not as a full on “Marvel Land.” Maybe one new attraction taking over Launch bay / Part of Autopia and a Buzz retheme (or new dark ride) and Star Tours retheme. In the process TOT is saved (as well as Big Thunder Ranch/ BBQ, Hungry Bear on the water, the old ROA / TSI) and you have a much stronger Hollywoodland. Star Tours would be a loss but I’d rather have TOT back.

My one caveat is Tomorrowland. If all of this means they bring it back to its former glory then maybe it’s worth it. Something tells me they won’t and I would have been happier with a Marvelized Tomorrowland and all dominoes that fell with it.

Last edited:

choco choco

Yeah, but an Avengers ride wouldn't fit in Tomorrowland unless it involved us using Primm Particles to travel backwards in time to help them in the past.

There's actually a ton of land available in Tomorrowland, there just needs to be a willingness to level most of it. It also depends on what form the Avengers ride takes. I'm not a fan of the simulator-thingie they've announced, but a coaster might have worked ok if they wove it in and around the land.

Stevek

I disagree with your comment about no effort but no sense debating as that's subjective.

It's not really a retheme. If they had taken the existing rides and turned them into marvel themed version...that would be a retheme. They've bulldozed everything but the fairly large Bugsland Theater and yes, they fit the ride within that footprint but if the ride works, it works. Time will tell if it's popular or not

Stevek

Or if they just completely gave up on the Tomorrowland theme and made it more of a Sci-fi land. Not that I'm advocating that. As we all pretty much know, Tland has been a mess for a very long time. Will likely always probably be problematic

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Due to covid-19 I don't think there will even be meet and greets. more like take a selfie with so and so from a distance.

Phroobar

I hope this whole meet and greet thing goes away completely. I want to come back to the days when characters could run around the park and play with kids.

I remember when my oldest was four, he was coloring in Big Thunder Ranch. Tigger was board because no other kids were around so Tigger decided to color with him. It was like a twenty minute thing and my son barely noticed. Tigger doesn't stay within the lines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom