Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Blu

I am guessing they would love to get it open by memorial day weekend but I have a feeling that it is most likely mid to late June.

looks like they still have quite a bit of cosmetic to do on all the buildings and its already mid February. Which we could see how far along the Doctor Strange area is.
any time Disney builds this fast, like there doing with avengers, we always get second rate everything. The China parks closures will most likely derail any announcement for an e ticket behind the tower for 18-24 months, so no mega attraction to save the land. I’m personally nervous about some DCA1 level production with marvel on this one.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just catching up... the stunt-droid seems like a cool research project.. But if they are just going to throw him between two fixed points over roof tops where the space below the performance is all obscured anyway... Why not just use a live trapeze artist? Since the performance is all above the crowd area, you could net the whole thing under neath... Why spend so much money to make things a robot where a simple actor can do it?

It's not like the robot will reduce labor needed...

flutas

Just catching up... the stunt-droid seems like a cool research project.. But if they are just going to throw him between two fixed points over roof tops where the space below the performance is all obscured anyway... Why not just use a live trapeze artist? Since the performance is all above the crowd area, you could net the whole thing under neath... Why spend so much money to make things a robot where a simple actor can do it?

I'm sure it will reduce labor eventually. Why have a high paid person who risks himself and their supporting crew over a robot and some (lower but not entry level) paid CMs. It probably saves on insurance in some way or another as well.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm sure it will reduce labor eventually. Why have a high paid person who risks himself and their supporting crew over a robot and some (lower but not entry level) paid CMs. It probably saves on insurance in some way or another as well.

Here's some of the thoughts driving my comment... consider these things...

There is no way this thing is light... so let's assume it weighs at least 100lbs (and likely several times that). It also can't pick itself up, walk around, get up, etc. That means it will probably require an assisted lift device every time you want to move the thing.. and maybe 2 or more people. Every time it lands, needs to be moved, needs to get staged, etc. Contrast this to a performer that literally stands up and walks across the room on their own.

Since this thing can't move itself... every task to relocate it will be a process that includes predefined steps for safety, activation/deactivation so it doesn't move unintentionally, positioning so it doesn't get broken, etc. This means anytime you gotta move this thing, it's going to be a very specific process taking time and probably multiple disciplines. All this means nothing happens fast. So any kind of 'reset' will be prolonged and complicated... and that's before you even include anything about throwing the thing. Again, contrast this with someone who can literally just stand up and walk themselves.

Moving a big heavy object means safety procedures and equipment to protect employees. More gear, more steps, more checks. Again.. vs someone who can just move on their own.

so with all that.. you can pretty much gauruntee no figure is going to make more than one 'jump' in any amount of time. On top of that, one jump to one landing zone.. is probably all that can happen, because it will take a significant process to 'clear' the landing zone of the figure. To have multiple 'jumps' you're going to be duplicating figures and staging. Pretty complex vs someone who can do multiple 'jumps' within a reasonable amount of time as long as rigging and safety is handled.

The figure itself will require techs to operate. But then you will still need the people who will move it, do the safety checks, etc. This may not differ much for performers vs robots.. but maybe its 1-2 techs different.

And task that is heavily automated, is heavily controlled. Any task that has heavy automation and includes safety around guests is even far worse. That means lots of training, process, checks, validation, etc. Add into the mix doing something very unique and new... and all that gets amplified even more. Contrast that with performers who are performing acts that have been understood for over a century. Yes, we're dealing with human life so safety concerns are high... but you find processes to enable trust in automation are often a greater burden than processes to ensure human's do what they are supposed to.

How many cirque du soleil veterans do you think you could hire for what you think Disney spent developing the R&D, and then will spend to move this around, maintain, and operate?

When you look at all of the above... I just don't see how doing it with a robot would be superior to doing it with a performer... These kinds of performers are out there and it's not like hiring the top 5 people in the world.

Imagine how lame people would think it would be if all Disney did was throw one of these robots across the gap 3 times a day on a fixed schedule. If this is 'he goes by once' and that's it... people are going to be let down. They better be dealing with multiple 'jumps', different characters, etc.

DavidDL

I wonder if there will be more than one stunt robot made. Would make sense right? It would be much easier to put on a "show" or create a scene more fluidly/with less downtime. You have 3 or 4 of these things ready to fire off at various points in time, Spider-Man launches from one area into another, then instead of having the techs ready the old figure, the scene can continue by launching the next figure shortly after the previous one lands.

SSG

Hastin, @hastin ;

"Walls are down in front of Guardians. Besides the "barcode bricks" and a little metal flourish on the Red Car tracks, the changes that appeared in the concept at D23 (new railings, new "exotic plants" light poles) didn't happen yet (and, I'm guessing, will not happen)."

Last edited:

Blu

See now we’re closing in on cirque du soleil meets marvel... and I’d pay to see that performed in the Hyperion.... yeah 2-3 performers on large salaries vs millions on robotic R&D seems much cheaper.

George Lucas on a Bench

Hastin, @hastin ;

"Walls are down in front of Guardians. Besides the "barcode bricks" and a little metal flourish on the Red Car tracks, the changes that appeared in the concept at D23 (new railings, new "exotic plants" light poles) didn't happen yet (and, I'm guessing, will not happen)."

Plants and theming? No, no, no. Never happening. Enjoy the concrete.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom