Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

TP2000

View attachment 448792
New theme park land at world famous Disneyland Resort, or Pepsi sponsored student union at my SUNY state school?

Alex, I'd like to go with SUNY student union building for $200. And a Pepsi, please.

Mg1nUYU726Y3fyIeszDRemwU8jjmrLxnS03xXgN7rsRk4QwdG6l3iP7Fi6q8kzC22-yAYU3vwN9sl8M7dHIP_DqdNFGZP8_3rOEiV-J43CCpuC0aD9EcDghlklGygNcdPav2oNvHFvJ0v10XYVW4AbaWMyM-efzFXat-eJJDO80ZQhh0rqp72XuxPzCOjkRl8A

CraftyFox

This entire land just has the blandest massing. A lot of the buildings just kinda look like straight rectangles. Not really digging the whole industrial warehouse aesthetic. At the moment it’s too ordinary. They could have gone further with the futuristic look or stuck with more historical styles (everyone agrees Buena Vista Street is gorgeous). I would have liked to see some Googie architecture in homage to some of the original Marvel comics. It’s quirky while staying modern.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Guys, it’s what’s INSIDE the student union that matters. I’m hoping for a bowling alley and a movie theatre running first-run films with free popcorn! Perhaps a bougie coffee stop staffed by kids who didn’t do their homework and have an IDGAF attitude? Those actually shouldn’t be hard to find in SoCal.

Ismael Flores

I know the land opening is slated for early summer of this year, but would that mean a June timeframe which is an early summer opening according to the seasons, or would it be a May timeframe which is an early summer opening according to the school year?

I am guessing they would love to get it open by memorial day weekend but I have a feeling that it is most likely mid to late June.

looks like they still have quite a bit of cosmetic to do on all the buildings and its already mid February. Which we could see how far along the Doctor Strange area is.

Last edited:

trainplane3

From over at the other thread:
I've just been given confirmation that the Avenger's E-Ticket and Disneyland version of MMRR have been frozen in place. No work will continue on them until they are greenlit to be restarted. This is directly due to the Coronavirus. Walt Disney World cutbacks are being determined Tuesday... not sure when we'll get that info leaked.
Credit is obviously to @WDW Pro

Ismael Flores

Maybe they're changing it so it no longer resembles Circuit City?

that would be interesting if they did do a design change but it looks like maybe my suspicion was correct. I previously said that maybe they discovered something after the rain and that maybe moisture had gotten into building.
i know people pointed out the the shells were not the weather proofing which i knew that but the underlying wrap seemed to also not be enough.
some new pictures show another layer or a replacement layer of moisture wrap.

It could be that the previous wrap did not work or that this second wrap was missed. we might actually see those panels go up soon again untouched.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

that would be interesting if they did do a design change but it looks like maybe my suspicion was correct. I previously said that maybe they discovered something after the rain and that maybe moisture had gotten into building.
i know people pointed out the the shells were jot the weather proofing which i knew that but the underlying wrap seemed to also not be enough.
some new pictures show another layer or a replacement layer of moisture wrap.

It could be that the previous wrap did not work or that this second wrap was missed. we might actually see those panels go up soon again untouched.
Buildings get built in the rain, so that really should not be a problem. The first wrap that was installed is Perm-A-Barrier Wall Membrane which is a complete self-adhered system. The second wrap is Tyvek CommercialWrap, part of a completely different system that is more vapor permeable than the Perm-A-Barrier beneath. The Tyvek wrap appears to be incorrectly installed. First it is arranged vertically which is an incorrect installation method (for both systems you apply horizontally from the bottom up) and you do not see attachments every 12” - 18” vertically and every 24“ horizontally (which would also compromise the integrity of the Perm-A-Barrier underneath). My guess is that the Tyvek is a temporary measure to protect the Perm-A-Barrier which will degrade under UV light. Placing it vertically means you can temporarily secure it at the top and bottom and leave the bulk of the Perm-A-Barrier free of penetrations. Looking back at photos with the panels installed, there are some sizable gaps where the Perm-A-Barrier is visible between the panels. My guess now is that the panel spacing was incorrect as having such gaps would compromise the integrity of the weather barrier.

Ismael Flores

Looking back at photos with the panels installed, there are some sizable gaps where the Perm-A-Barrier is visible between the panels. My guess now is that the panel spacing was incorrect as having such gaps would compromise the integrity of the weather barrier.

They were actually also adding covering in the gaps with the same red material but at a different depth then the main panels. it Iooks like maybe those horizontal gaps were purposely design that way to help add some additional design to the facade.
The concept art shows those gaps going horizontally across the wall. The grey panels also seem to have gaps from one panel to the other and they did start adding the trim between them as well

lazyboy97o

They were actually also adding covering in the gaps with the same red material but at a different depth then the main panels. it Iooks like maybe those horizontal gaps were purposely design that way to help add some additional design to the facade.
The concept art shows those gaps going horizontally across the wall. The grey panels also seem to have gaps from one panel to the other and they did start adding the trim between them as well
Metal panels like they are using are typically a modular system with built-in joints that connect the panels together. This gives you a nice uniform recessed joint where the panels can be attached to the wall that provides continuous protection for the wall behind. Having to insert additional metal between the panels because you have gaps large enough to see the weather barrier beneath is not something that should be happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom