Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

BrianLo

Original Poster
Phased Opening Dates 2020 - Ride additions (2021/2022)

It's that time again, in the same vein as the Galaxie's edge thread, we need a dedicated construction thread.

This thread is NOT meant to discuss whether Star Wars Marvel Land has a place in Disneyland DCA, the loss of Bugs land, your thoughts on the direction of DCA, your undying eulogy of love for Heimlich's Choo-Choo Train or again your hatred of Mission breakout. Please instead see Upcoming Marvel Land, Bye Bye Bugsland, Mission Breakout Review Thread for excellent ongoing discussion of those topics.

Construction photos, concept art, specific details regarding the contents of the expansion, aerials and generalized speculation about the above are all appropriate. Expect topic drift to set in around 2019 though....

Rumours pertaining to the roll out and content of the land can be seen here: Disney Tourist Blog

Speculation from our own forum states two attractions are slated, one involving the Bugsland Theatre Space, one involving the Timon lot. Previous incarnations included a Spiderman pendulum ride, which seems to have been sent to the back burner. Long Standing rumours relate to an Avengers coaster potentially in the similar vein to the new Guardians Coaster in Epcot. However, both rides appear to have been phased with capacity concerns being cited by our @TP2000

Expect the land to initially be headlined by Mission Breakout.

Edit Addition: This is a really good (BRIEF) to read thread to catch up on some of the internal logistics of how Marvel is being handled between various resorts. There is a consistent push towards NO clones.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/how-will-wdw-fit-into-the-marvel-theme-park-universe.927552/

Construction walls are officially up around the Bugsland Theatre. The Rest of Bugsland closes Sept 4th.

[B]RyanTheme Park[/B]‏ @Ryanthemepark

Dk_czKLU0AA9nPM.jpg

Dk_czlUUUAAzzhQ.jpg

Screengrab Courtesy FreshBaked
Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 7.39.55 PM.png

Last edited:

DanielBB8

There’s two competing rumors of either a 3D Movie or an Ant-Man/Wasp omnimover shooter ride going in the Bugs Theater. Neither sounds appealing to me. Using Ant-Man means some props from Bugsland can be reused.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Is this related to the rumor that BLAB would be relocated to DCA and re-themed to Marvel (like HKDL)?

I believe this to be a fan-made rumour. Usually these things arise from people trying to extrapolate what other parks have or are doing. However, I don't think a credible source who has known has ever stated this to be the case. Much like the Iron Man Experience rumours.

Internally all evidence points to Disney wanting to avoid clones and build a Marvel theme park Universe with some internal logic and storylines that technically carry through to multiple resorts.

I have a feeling this was a Rohde-ism concession. Sort of like S.E.A. Apparently Bob Chapek actually does seem to also like that idea of having an overarching narrative or park universe carried between multiple parks.

ThemeParkTraveller

I believe this to be a fan-made rumour. Usually these things arise from people trying to extrapolate what other parks have or are doing. However, I don't think a credible source who has known has ever stated this to be the case. Much like the Iron Man Experience rumours.

Internally all evidence points to Disney wanting to avoid clones and build a Marvel theme park Universe with some internal logic and storylines that technically carry through to multiple resorts.

I have a feeling this was a Rohde-ism concession. Sort of like S.E.A. Apparently Bob Chapek actually does seem to also like that idea of having an overarching narrative or park universe carried between multiple parks.

Indeed, it does look like every resort is getting a unique Marvel presence. Although it seems like an indoor coaster may eventually be a shared feature among the different areas. Makes sense, as the Marvel IP is particularly well-suited for a coaster.

DL- Mission Breakout, unknown Spider-Man and Avengers attraction (I'm assuming one of these will still remain a coaster)
Epcot- GotG coaster
WDSP- Iron Man coaster (RnRC re-theme), Spider-Man shooter
HKDL- Iron Man Experience, Ant-Man shooter, Avengers (coaster?)

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

There’s two competing rumors of either a 3D Movie or an Ant-Man/Wasp omnimover shooter ride going in the Bugs Theater. Neither sounds appealing to me. Using Ant-Man means some props from Bugsland can be reused.
Disney’s last 3D movie made for the parks was 13 years ago, I don’t think they’re going to make a new one.

truecoat

What about an Avengers show like they have in DLP. This seems like an easy way to get Marvel into the parks with minimal effort before the E tickets arrive. Include some interactive meet and greets at this point too. Not ideal but I could see this happening.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

What about an Avengers show like they have in DLP. This seems like an easy way to get Marvel into the parks with minimal effort before the E tickets arrive. Include some interactive meet and greets at this point too. Not ideal but I could see this happening.
Wasn't the point of "Summer of Heroes" to get Marvel integrated into the park? Didn't really seem to be a huge hit. Also, I thought I remembered a rumor that there was going to be a Marvel show replacing Disney Jr. I guess that went nowhere.

George Lucas on a Bench

It might have been a hit with 4 year olds and APs since to please them it seems all you have to do is slap junk together. But did it represent the Marvel funny book universe well? Did it have people crapping their pants with joy like the Universal Spider-Man ride would? No.

Phroobar

I guess that means that every one else's Tower of Terrors are safe and we lost that lottery.

GiveMeTheMusic

From what I understand it doesn't have much to do with Rohde, but rather Marvel, who have some political clout over how their characters are used at the parks. They want unique attractions, and so far, they're getting them.

TP2000

From what I understand it doesn't have much to do with Rohde, but rather Marvel, who have some political clout over how their characters are used at the parks. They want unique attractions, and so far, they're getting them.

Disney has owned Marvel since 2009. A decade later there is one overlay ride, Mission: BREAKOUT. And a whole lot of foot dragging and delays.

But my favorite part is year after year of non-announcement announcements where snake oil salesmen like Erin Glover get paid to belch up meaningless stuff like "Highly anticipated new experiences at Disneyland Resort will soon invite guests to become part of a bigger universe filled with epic heroes and adventures." And then that sentence is followed up with absolutely no real information, year after year.

At some point they are going to have to actually stop with the Disney Parks Blog posts and do something. Walt once said "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." I have a hunch that if Walt returned from the dead he would have very little use for the Disney Parks Blog payroll.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Lol. I also call it an overlay all the time. But to be fair if we go by the actual definition it would not be. As that would imply they could easily turn it back into TOT, which they cannot... unfortunately.

All they would really have to do to turn M:BO back into ToT would be to throw all that scrap metal into a few dumpsters and remove the Planet Hollywood props from the queue. The rest is basically is paint and set dressing. Unfortunately it’s more likely that they’ll just demolish the whole thing.

mickEblu

All they would really have to do to turn M:BO back into ToT would be to throw all that scrap metal into a few dumpsters and remove the Planet Hollywood props from the queue. The rest is basically is paint and set dressing. Unfortunately it’s more likely that they’ll just demolish the whole thing.

Ok let’s agree to call it an extensive overlay. Lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom