Avatar Land may be duplicated (and few more observations from the TV special)

prberk

Original Poster
Did anyone else notice Joe Rhode's comment on the Thanksgiving Disney Parks Holiday Special that Pandora is likely only the first one? He indicated that it will likely be duplicated elsewhere.

I kept looking for others on this board to have mentioned it and maybe whether they had heard any rumors of whether it would be coming to any specific other Disney resort; but I never saw anyone say it. (Of course these days the way everyone buries news in 4,689-page two-year-old thread, it is easy miss actual news.)

I remember talk about a third gate at DL with all the real estate they purchased recently there, but I do not think that is nearly enough land -- and not as likely as maybe at an overseas park.

Anyway, I thought I would point it out that he said that.

By the way, did that show also seem to show anyone else that they have really gone projection-happy worldwide? I mean, the show was supposed to showcase the lighting up of each of the parks in lights for the season... and most were all about projections on the castle with a few fireworks. I remember one, and I think it was Hong Kong, that really did not even seem to have any regular lights -- just projections on the castle. Why go the trouble of wiring all these trees and buildings when we can just show movies on the castle? Well, just an observation.

Another observation: the actual holiday offerings at WDW were hardly mentioned. I would have liked a look at some of the Christmas activities and decorations throughout the resort. The performers were interesting but some of them seemed out of place and not related to the holidays. I don't know; it just seemed a lot more disjointed than even the Christmas Commercial/Parade even. Not sure.

Anyway, just thought I would post my observations... but put it here because of the "news" that they seem to intend to duplicate Pandora.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Did anyone else notice Joe Rhode's comment on the Thanksgiving Disney Parks Holiday Special that Pandora is likely only the first one? He indicated that it will likely be duplicated elsewhere.

I kept looking for others on this board to have mentioned it and maybe whether they had heard any rumors of whether it would be coming to any specific other Disney resort; but I never saw anyone say it. (Of course these days the way everyone buries news in 4,689-page two-year-old thread, it is easy miss actual news.)

I remember talk about a third gate at DL with all the real estate they purchased recently there, but I do not think that is nearly enough land -- and not as likely as maybe at an overseas park.

Anyway, I thought I would point it out that he said that.

By the way, did that show also seem to show anyone else that they have really gone projection-happy worldwide? I mean, the show was supposed to showcase the lighting up of each of the parks in lights for the season... and most were all about projections on the castle with a few fireworks. I remember one, and I think it was Hong Kong, that really did not even seem to have any regular lights -- just projections on the castle. Why go the trouble of wiring all these trees and buildings when we can just show movies on the castle? Well, just an observation.

Another observation: the actual holiday offerings at WDW were hardly mentioned. I would have liked a look at some of the Christmas activities and decorations throughout the resort. The performers were interesting but some of them seemed out of place and not related to the holidays. I don't know; it just seemed a lot more disjointed than even the Christmas Commercial/Parade even. Not sure.

Anyway, just thought I would post my observations... but put it here because of the "news" that they seem to intend to duplicate Pandora.

From the original press release about the Avatar partnership...

"Through an exclusive agreement announced today by Disney, Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox, Disney will partner with Cameron and producing partner Jon Landau to create themed lands that will give theme park guests the opportunity to explore the mysterious universe of AVATAR first hand. Disney plans to build the first AVATAR themed land at Walt Disney World, within the Animal Kingdom park."

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Would make sense... you don't spend millions of dollars to develop something only to use it once. Be it ride systems (Indiana Jones/Dinosaurs, Test Track/Radiator Springs Racers), complete rides (Soarin', Seven Dwarves, Little Mermaid), or complete lands (Toy Story Land, Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Star Wars Land). Heck, even the ride system for Na'vi River Journey (from the rumors we've been hearing) appears to be the same system that Pirates in Shanghai uses. Cloning the area would/could also at least partially offset the overruns the Animal Kingdom version is seeing.

Dizney Crew

To me this is really disappointing if they clone Avatar Land somewhere else, can we not have something exclusive in our parks? I'm not even an Avatar fan and I am mildly excited about this land, mostly just because its something new to do at Animal Kingdom, but the thought of of it being cloned elsewhere takes a lot of air out of the balloon. Plus it seems like everything we get is always 2nd tier to what everyone else gets so while I'm sure our Avatar land will be amazing when we see it, if it gets cloned a few years down the road ours will once again seem like a cheapened version I'm sure. I get the tech will prob be amazing but use it for some other land with a different theme, let Orlando have something that's a one of a kind, even if it is Avatar.

P_Radden

From the original press release about the Avatar partnership...

"Through an exclusive agreement announced today by Disney, Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox, Disney will partner with Cameron and producing partner Jon Landau to create themed lands that will give theme park guests the opportunity to explore the mysterious universe of AVATAR first hand. Disney plans to build the first AVATAR themed land at Walt Disney World, within the Animal Kingdom park."
When they announced the agreement and P:WoA at AK I don't think they ever imagined it going so far over budget. Perhaps back in those days they did have intentions of duplicating the land at other parks but the chances of that happening now are probably a lot slimmer. Unless of coarse they can duplicate it at half the cost, or if the upcoming movies combined with the opening of P:WoA prove to be a tremendous success.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
You know, I hear cries of keep it in Disneyland blah blah blah... Let's keep something in Florida other than EPCOT. I hope this blows the doors off.

Prototype82

I really fancied the idea of having Pandora be an Animal Kingdom-exclusive original land...But like Wizarding World...it's no surprise...

twebber55

bottom line i think it has zero to do with the success of the next movie and more to do with the success of the land. if the land is successful (which i think it most definitely will be) they will duplicate it, my guess is Shanghai or Paris
Biggest detriment i would guess is cost to build the land, same with Cars land, or Star Wars Land for that matter

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom