AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

mightynine

Something worth pointing out to a lot of you who are concerned about the "fit" with DAK. If this thing turns out to be an absolute stunning attraction, which it could very well be with the talent involved, you are not going to care that its connection to Animal Kingdom is a stretch. This is the direction they are going, so we have to embrace that and look forward to some big investment into Animal Kingdom. Today is very good news in my opinion.

Pfft, you commoner. (according to some here)

stitchcastle

Wrong...Doesn't Kali River Rapids teach conservation of the land those animals inhabit? It uses an example of deforestation to show what can happen to animal habitat.

Avatar is about Humans trying to displace (peacefully or forcefully) a species so that we can get at the natural resources hiding directly below their village.

Last I checked those animals we're all trying to save live outside. Humans are constantly changing the landscape around them to suit their own needs.

Kali River Rapids is the left overs of the failed Tiger River Rapids attraction. It;s main focus was originally going to be Tigers.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I am really wondering what Joe really thinks about this lol!

I bet he is absolutely thrilled. "His" park is getting a massive investment, and he has a job working on the latest cutting edge land for the next 5 years. Sounds a great day to be Joe Rohde or anyone at WDI working at WDW.

For those of you complaining about the "Disneyness" of Avatar..

Look at Indiana Jones and Star Wars.

Those seem to do pretty well without being Disney movies.

jt04

This is something I am really excited about. He could really bring something to the table with this and perhaps help push the boundaries beyond what we have seen before.

Exactly. Cameron's participation is what sets this project apart from anything before in all probability.

This is massive news. It is amazing how quickly some posted in this thread to downplay this. Obviously this was percolating and some were primed to dismiss the news. There are definitely some plants here.

This is the Potter Swatter on steroids and explains the Transformer leak IMO. I think it is possible that Disney wanted to make this announcement on Oct 1st but the Transformer leak may have indicated they could not wait.

So where are all the people who said no big announcements were pending including on WDW's 40th anniversay??????/ Looking at you TP2000 and Al Lutz! Oh wait :lookaroun:ROFLOL::sohappy:

BTW, being at DAK will make it very difficult to get construction pics! Drats :brick:

twinnstar

Im kind of confused why theres not more caring about whether this fits in a Disney park, specifically in AK. Don't most of us get worked up about a lot of the stuff not belonging in Future World or Tomorrowland? I feel like we hear about that all the time. If they let one thing slide, its just a matter of time before you put like...Rapunzel in Animal Kingdom because she like, wanted to go outside? And outside is where animals are? or some backwards logic like that? :lookaroun No?

Sigmundooze

Does it matter? I've seen one Potter movie and forced myself to sit to the end. Forbidden Journey is a stunning attraction that I can ride time and time again.

Doesn't matter about the movie. A great attraction will stand on it's own merits.

But the Harry Potter theme is not going to be stale anytime soon. It is a proven commodity and has reached a Star Wars type level. The avatar theme is already very stale and there is no guarantee that the sequels for Avatar will regain even close to the same interest.

You wanna know Avatar's fate probably is: Jurassic Park or the Matrix. Revolutionary 1st movies with mediocre sequels.

Jurassic Park the ride and its themed land at IoA is ok but compare it to Asia with Kali river rapids and Everest and the trails and themeing and I'll take the original timeless well thought out theme of Asia everytime.

whylightbulb

I take this to mean depending on how the Harry Expansion goes could very well dictate the final outcome (and budget) of the Pandora. Do we get one E-ticket and few shops? Do we get an E coupled with a C and some show? Will they have a "showstopper" waiting incase they need to play that card?

I'm just thinking outloud here...but I agree that it could a be very interesting 5 years in Orlando!

Yes I can tell you firsthand that the Harry Potter phase two plans are stunning! The E-ticket will beat Forbidden Journey. Now if we can just get Warner Brothers and J.K. to agree and greenlight Orlando will be well on its way to a theme park revolution!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Kali River Rapids is the left overs of the failed Tiger River Rapids attraction. It;s main focus was originally going to be Tigers.

So we're supposed to base all future attractions and ideas based upon ideas that never materialized?

If it had actually materialized this way, you'd have a valid argument. However, they have the ride as it stands, and they actively try to get everybody to give an extra dollar when you buy some food to be a "conservation hero". They are actively pushing this idea....whether you choose to see it or not.

baymenxpac

all you have to do is look at the dedication of DAK:

animals, not just the umbrella term of "nature". Avatar has nothing to do with animals.

dude, we get it. you don't like the tie in. some of us think it's not a far leap. you do. it's cool.

don't we always say it's about how things are themed and executed? can't that solve a lot of the problems? let's let this play out a little before going off the deep end. i think that's reasonable.

stitchcastle

don't we always say it's about how things are themed and executed? can't that solve a lot of the problems? let's let this play out a little before going off the deep end. i think that's reasonable.

sure, just look at the hodgepodge of a thematic mess that is Disney's Hollywood Studios. That's the direction DAK is going with that sort of thinking.

Crazy Harry

There is a difference between message and theme. Avatar fits the message of Animal Kingdom, it however does not fit the theme. The theme is animals, natural environments, and human culture and mythology which has truth in it. Science fiction does not fit the theme of AK although it may coincide with the message.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom