AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I agree with all of this but building off of point 2. What kind of "fans" are we that we're settling for an expansion just because any expansion is good?

I don't think this is just "any expansion". Just because some people don't like the movie doesn't take away the immense potential that a partnership of this size has. Even if the land starts small, you're going to see attendance at AK explode.

Figments Friend

-

HOLY **** !

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I NEVER thought 'Avatar' would come to WDW....but WOW is this awesome news! I loved the film, and the Pandora enviroment is a place i know fans of the film would adore having the chance to actually visit such a location.

I will be watching the development of this closely. Very excited about the possibilties. Just having a recreation of a Pandorain forest with all the bio-luminesent plants would be absolutely MINDBLOWING.

Is this Disney's answer to 'Harry Potter' ? I see simularities.....

stitchcastle

I don't think this is just "any expansion". Just because some people don't like the movie doesn't take away the immense potential that a partnership of this size has. Even if the land starts small, you're going to see attendance at AK explode.

Once the novelty wears off, AK'd be back at square one. didn't attendance "explode" when Everest opened?

Thrill

This thread is growing faster than I can read it!
Dear god no! I think I’m most upset that Beastly Kingdom will never become a reality now, seeing we always assumed it would be the first big expansion of the park and this will now take its budget and spot in Camp Minnie Mickey.

In my eyes, Beastly Kingdomme has been dead since Everest went to Asia.

If I have one cryptozoological beast in a continent, and the rest of the mythical beasts in their own land, it just doesn't make sense. I'm fine scattering mythical/cryptid animals around the park evenly. It makes a good bit of sense in that they would be able to theme the areas around the mythical beast attractions to the cultures in which the beasts originated, as in Expedition Everest.

Bairstow

Pocahontas is gonna be ed.
So will Marvel.
Avatar_The_Reckoning_by_nandomendonssa.jpg

MAF

Hopefully all the haters realize this is going to blow away Potter.

We don't even know what the attraction is going to be, so its safe to say you are jumping the gun there.

BTW, I just realized that we're all getting into a tizzy over something that won't even be ready until another 6 to 8 years from now. I'll be in my 30's by the time this thing opens. Yikes...

stitchcastle

In my eyes, Beastly Kingdomme has been dead since Everest went to Asia.

If I have one cryptozoological beast in a continent, and the rest of the mythical beasts in their own land, it just doesn't make sense. I'm fine scattering mythical/cryptid animals around the park evenly. It makes a good bit of sense in that they would be able to theme the areas around the mythical beast attractions to the cultures in which the beasts originated, as in Expedition Everest.

what about the more iconic mythical creatures? Would you put the Loch Ness Monster or Unicorns and Griffins in continents other than Europe?

The Empress Lilly

Look, I'm as excited as anyone that WDW is getting a massive new expansion, but this just seems so..... Universal. Or dare I say, Six Flags.

I have no doubt that Disney is capable of maximizing the detail and development to levels far beyond the competition, and I'll no doubt check it out (and be happy AK has more capacity), but it's not so much Avatar I have an issue with as it's grabbing a random unrelated movie franchise (because it made big money) and plopping down a whole new land.

I like original stories, I like Disney, and I like cohesive theme... none of which fits well here. I'm sure they can integrate the look and feel into AK well, and I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised by this... but this is something Six Flags or Universal does. "Look, it's TitanicLand, right next to Men in Black and The Matrix Ride!". Ugh.

Again, happy with expansion and investment in the parks, but completely in shock that this is the path Disney has chosen. Star Wars and Indy were tenuous, but different to me in that A) They're at Studios, B) They're not "Lands", and C) Both franchises have proven to have long-term iconic staying power and are part of the cultural milieu, which Avatar hasn't sniffed.
This, yes.

Disney is at its best when it develops franchise-free experiences. From ToT to Everest to DisneySea.
Disney is at its worst when shoehorning existing characters in existing properties. From 'Mexico ruined by Donald' to 'Alladin's Flying Crap'.

Sadly, Bob Iger is not interested in the development of Disney creativity, and all about developing franchises. A fine people manager, with fine financial instinct, but with little true creative vision. A functioning, if mediocre Disney it will be under his reign.

RadioHead

Confusion over what iconic places or experiences people will want to have from Pandora? As opposed to HP or SW who has so many locations, experiences, or tie in restaurants (i.e. Cantina, etc ..) I can see AVATAR making a great ride but don't get a whole land?

The second film takes place on the moon of pandora, so you'll see a new set which will probably play a role in the land. The 3rd film is also set in a new location as well.

Also tell me you wouldn't want a land that looks like this?

6a0115723e839b970b0120a768d3c2970b-800wi

Avtaar2.jpg

Concept-art-of-Pandora-avatar-10831048-1400-700.jpg

Pandora has the potential of looking a billion times more beautiful than Harry Potter can EVER DREAM to be. The alien atmosphere is breathtaking, and inspiring. Again, if they can do Pandora justice.

For people who are second guessing Avatar's staying power. Let's not forget the 2 following movies are the only the films PLANNED. No doubt will there be a second trilogy if the 2nd, and 3rd films suceceed.

Also on top of that there's an animated series, as well a fox show in the pipeline as well.

This will have much more staying power if you ask me.

JustInTime

We don't even know what the attraction is going to be, so its safe to say you are jumping the gun there.

BTW, I just realized that we're all getting into a tizzy over something that won't even be ready until another 6 to 8 years from now. I'll be in my 30's by the time this thing opens. Yikes...

I doubt it will blow away Potter. Potter beats anything Disney has ever done. I actually teared up when I was there.

GLaDOS

Not to mention that there will more than likely be more Potter attractions in IOA open by the time this opens...

SleepingMonk

And that's if all goes extremely well.

Which of course it always does!

:lookaroun

Brett

So Pocahontas is finally getting her own land? :ROFLOL:

I'm not a fan of how everything has to be from a "property". I have to agree with the poster who said this fills more Six Flagsy or Universal-like than Disney. No doubt this will bring some in $$$, but that it just seems so... wrong. Oh well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom