AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

stitchcastle

You're right...It's better by all box office accounts. People saw that movie repeatedly.

With another 2 movies on deck, I'm betting that many more will learn about the Avatar universe. The world will continue to gain depth, which leads to more possiblities for the new expansion for years to come.

To me: The haters are already boiling into a few main arguments:

1)Want to keep all park rides Disney Specific (If Disney had done Avatar, would you still be complaining, or saying "it took long enough?")

2) Those that simply don't like the movie. I'll group the "Harry Potter is the best and nothing can compare" in this as well. This is a matter of personal preference.

However, it's insane to think that the highest grossing movie of all time is going to have its sequel fail. This franchise is going to grown and expand for a long time.

1) I don't care about it being Disney Specific, I care that it makes sense thematically, Avatar simply doesn't fit into Animal Kingdom, if they had announced it for EPCOT, I'd be fine if not excited for it.

2) It's not a personal preference (I hate both movies) it's a simple matter of fact that Harry Potter as a property is a billion times more popular and loved than Avatar could ever hope to be. You can see for yourself, find 5 people within the immediate vicinity that can name at least 3 main characters from Avatar, now do that with Harry Potter.

3) The success of the sequels depend entirely on how well loved the characters are to warrant a sequel to begin with. Avatar doesn't have that. People saw it because of all the 3d talk not the story or the characters. If anything reception to the sequels would be more like The Matrix sequels.

hammysammy59

This is such a weird choice. I mean I get it, it makes sense from a money perspective, and there's obviously attraction potential... but I'm still totally baffled on this.

If I was asked what James Cameron movie to attractionfy, you'd better believe I would have yelled "ALIENS!" without a second thought. "Game over man, game over!"

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I disagree with this. I don't think James Cameron would have said " I'm chomping at the bit to start work with Disney's legendary Imagineers to bring our 'Avatar' world to life". This thing sounds like it's going to be huge and sounds like they are going all out.
And James has scoreboard. He has a reputation for not only breaking records in the cost of films but more importantly he breaks the earnings records as well. If TDO questions the budget all he has to say is "2,782,275,172 dollars!"

MKCP 1985

D23 page

http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2011/...eron-to-bring-avatar-to-life-at-disney-parks/

092211_NF_FS_Avatar_feature2.jpg

092211_NF_FS_Avatar_feature1.jpg

Magic Kingdom is the park of mountains. Animal Kingdom the park of trees. Really big trees!

MoxHair

I'm not a fan of the Avatar franchise, but how could you not get excited about this announcement. Something new and big coming to a park that needs something new and big. James Cameron is the Wild Card in this entire thing. He loves his Avatar Franchise and he's not going to let them cheap it out. If he's working directly with WDI to create this land then something good is going to come from this. The only thing that could stop this from turning into something truly amazing is the bean counters.

I'm also not a fan of the Harry Potter franchise but I love the Forbidden Journey ride. I think it's incredibly narrow minded to say just because you dislike a movie you'll never experience or don't want to experience a ride/land. I treat theme park rides, movies, lands, experiences as completely separate entities than the movies they're based on.

GLaDOS

TinkerBell9988

1) I don't care about it being Disney Specific, I care that it makes sense thematically, Avatar simply doesn't fit into Animal Kingdom, if they had announced it for EPCOT, I'd be fine if not excited for it.

2) It's not a personal preference (I hate both movies) it's a simple matter of fact that Harry Potter as a property is a billion times more popular and loved than Avatar could ever hope to be. You can see for yourself, find 5 people within the immediate vicinity that can name at least 3 main characters from Avatar, now do that with Harry Potter.

3) The success of the sequels depend entirely on how well loved the characters are to warrant a sequel to begin with. Avatar doesn't have that. People saw it because of all the 3d talk not the story or the characters. If anything reception to the sequels would be more like The Matrix sequels.

Thank you. I agree with you. :) Especially with your second point.

mightynine

Amazing.

People complain there's no expansion in the parks.

Expansion happens.

People complain it's not about something they care about.

And you wonder why no one makes decisions based on what a message board says?

stitchcastle

Was Song of the South a great movie? Do kids run around pretending to be Uncle Remus?

No. But Splash Mountain is one heck of an attraction.

There is a LOT of material to work with here. Unless they completely sail off the deep end, something pretty interesting ought to come out of it.

yes ONE attraction, not an entire land.

Scuttle

And James has scoreboard. He has a reputation for not only breaking records in the cost of films but more importantly he breaks the earnings records as well. If TDO questions the budget all he has to say is "2,782,275,172 dollars!"

Yep! This will not have budget cuts or anything that usually happens to WDW expansions. This is going to incredible.

fractal

In the end, I care much more about the theme park experience Disney is going to create based on the Avatar "universe". I didn't stop going to HM because of the Eddie Murphy movie.

I don't get the logic.

Kamikaze

I guess my question is how many years of advance notice did we know about the development of AK?

Different era. They could hide things a lot easier in those days.

Construction begins in 2013. Time to bust out the AK maps/satellite maps to figure out where this sucker is going to be built. Where is Martin when you need him?

Mike

Three posts before yours.

Yep! This will not have budget cuts or anything that usually happens to WDW expansions. This is going to incredible.

Whoa whoa whoa. Jumping the gun a little bit there. Just because Cameron is famous doesn't mean he'll get carte blanche. If George Lucas didn't, James Cameron won't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom