AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

DocMcHulk

Original Poster
Disney Parks Blog:
At a press conference happening right now at Walt Disney Imagineering, Bob Iger and Tom Staggs just announced a long-term creative partnership with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Disney Parks. And it’ll all begin at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort.

James and his producing partner Jon Landau and their team at Lightstorm Entertainment will serve as creative consultants on the project and will work side-by-side with our Walt Disney Imagineers as we dream up experiences that will take our guests deep into worlds of AVATAR like never before. There are also two sequels to the record setting first film in the works, which will offer more fascinating stories, characters and locations to explore in the AVATAR universe. Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort is planned as the site of the first AVATAR-themed land with construction expected to begin by 2013.

We believe Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a great fit for this project because it was created to give guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature – real and mythical – in new ways. Disney’s Animal Kingdom also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship – themes that are deeply rooted in the story of AVATAR.

MissAlmyra

Wow, surprising news! Avatar is one of the last things I would have expected.
The movies are visually beautiful though. I'm curious to see what kind of theming TDO could come up with!

Slugger

Just saw this posted on the Disney Parks blog.. Definitely looks interesting!!! Looks like there will be another post later on with Q&A with Tom Staggs... I can't wait to hear more about this!

durangojim

Could be pretty cool, especially with James Cameron involved. Hopefully he'll try to push the limits with regard to technology in terms of new theme park experiences.

Thessair

Can't say I'm excited to hear this. I didn't enjoy the film at all and found it to be ridiculously over hyped. I'd much rather see them develop in-house properties, though I suppose this must make business sense at some level.

Pioneer Hall

Whoa...how did this not get picked up earlier by any insiders. Not in love with the idea of the Avatar series, but very happy that something big is coming to AK and I have a feeling it will be executed extremely well.

InsiderImagine

Whoa...how did this not get picked up earlier by any insiders. Not in love with the idea of the Avatar series, but very happy that something big is coming to AK and I have a feeling it will be executed extremely well.

There was rumblings of something big coming to Animal Kingdom...but on this level...barely ANYONE knew about it. I had no clue about Avatar, just knew that something was going to be built. Thought it was just another meet and greet. Lol.

peachykeen

Interesting, hadn't heard anyone mention this before. I wasn't a huge fan of the movie but seeing as how popular it was, it should be a popular addition as well.

Sigmundooze

Horrible idea and horible movie! This has NOTHING to do with animal kingdom. ZERO. If you want mythological creatures that is fine but take them from actual earth cultures not this over hyped piece of fictional garbage. Really upset with WDI if this is true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom