Avatar Flight of Passage Size Concern

Fallendown4u

Original Poster
Hi! I am 6 ft tall and 275 pounds. Im planning on losing some more before I go to disney in may. I am seriously so excited for avatar flight of passage and would be broken if i couldnt ride it. I have pretty big calfs and a big midsection, at my weight and height, if i were to lift up my legs in and sit as straight up as possible, do you think the restraints would fit? My cousin told me the only people she saw get turned away were either quite obese or like taller then 6’5” but still im worried.

Starfan82

I had similar concerns prior to my trip in December 2017. I am 6' 3" and 295lbs and I was able to ride with no problem. Enjoy, it is an amazing experience!

POLY LOVER

I'm not that big but I need a hip replacement and I was very uncomfortable on the ride when they lock you in pretty tight. I would try the test ride first and see how you feel.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Just a little extra tip do not go by just how you fit in the test seat! I know many that didn’t fit in the test seat, but did fit in the actual ride seat inside. I really think you will be fine though. ;)

Gringrinngghost

Hi! I am 6 ft tall and 275 pounds. Im planning on losing some more before I go to disney in may. I am seriously so excited for avatar flight of passage and would be broken if i couldnt ride it. I have pretty big calfs and a big midsection, at my weight and height, if i were to lift up my legs in and sit as straight up as possible, do you think the restraints would fit? My cousin told me the only people she saw get turned away were either quite obese or like taller then 6’5” but still im worried.
6'0 250 no issues

lordsigma

I am rather heavy and got thrown off FoP today. Quite disappointed as I heard it is a neat attraction and it is the only time I have Ever had a problem at WDW. I think it’s fair to say that it is by far the most restrictive attraction as far as body size/weight of all attractions at WDW that adults would typically want to ride. Based on the attitude of the cast member this seems like a very frequent problem. And with the popularity of it and the long lines they aren’t really that interested in jumping through too many hoops to get the restraints to fit. They did try a couple things quickly but then asked me to leave. I thought about trying to go through again and “suck it in” before sitting down but I didn’t want to make a scene and irritate the cast members as I know it’s a busy ride and the getting booted off is rather embarrassing.

Disappointed to miss out but also disappointed to see as this hasn’t seemed to be a common problem at WDW historically compared to other parks like Universal.

Driver

I am rather heavy and got thrown off FoP today. Quite disappointed as I heard it is a neat attraction and it is the only time I have Ever had a problem at WDW. I think it’s fair to say that it is by far the most restrictive attraction as far as body size/weight of all attractions at WDW that adults would typically want to ride. Based on the attitude of the cast member this seems like a very frequent problem. And with the popularity of it and the long lines they aren’t really that interested in jumping through too many hoops to get the restraints to fit. They did try a couple things quickly but then asked me to leave. I thought about trying to go through again and “suck it in” before sitting down but I didn’t want to make a scene and irritate the cast members as I know it’s a busy ride and the getting booted off is rather embarrassing.

Disappointed to miss out but also disappointed to see as this hasn’t seemed to be a common problem at WDW historically compared to other parks like Universal.
I'm so sorry that happened to you. I am actually on break in the break room at FOP I know many of the CM's and I can tell you the last thing they want to do is put someone off the ride. They know what it means to our guest to enjoy the attraction. So sorry 😟I sincerely hope the rest of your stay is pleasant!

lordsigma

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I am actually on break in the break room at FOP I know many of the CM's and I can tell you the last thing they want to do is put someone off the ride. They know what it means to our guest to enjoy the attraction. So sorry 😟I sincerely hope the rest of your stay is pleasant!
Just to clarify I hope it didn’t sound as if I was implying they were rude just that it seems like it sounds like this happens a lot on this ride. I understand that safety has to be number one. And I also understand that’s a busy ride and trying to accomodate every guest has to be balanced against the need to keep the ride queue moving/flowing. Will just have to try to shed a few more pounds before my next trip and try again! I probably should have asked to try again and sucked it in but I was embarrassed and I can be rather passive - didn’t want to be a problem guest.

DisAl

Odds are that you should be fine. The CMs have gotten considerably better at getting people to fit in the restraints since the attraction first opened. They also have a test seat out front.
The test seat out front is pretty much useless since it does not have the back restraint on it. My daughter who is over 6' has long legs. When she got on the ride vehicle her knees were jammed against the front and the back restraint would not go forward enough to latch so she was booted off.

correcaminos

The test seat out front is pretty much useless since it does not have the back restraint on it. My daughter who is over 6' has long legs. When she got on the ride vehicle her knees were jammed against the front and the back restraint would not go forward enough to latch so she was booted off.
Is it gone now? They had the back restraint there this summer.

To the OP, my friend is 2 inches taller and a bit heavier and rode no problem.

My dad is 6' wears a 14 shoe without issues too. Though he's a bit lighter.

lordsigma

So sorry 😟I sincerely hope the rest of your stay is pleasant!
It was the last day of a good trip here. It sort of wrecked my mood for the day and I ended up leaving the park early as a result (originally planned on staying for RoL but that episode kind of soured my mood and I was physically tired from walking around the parks all week so I called it a day.) But no one else's fault but my own that I am overweight. Can't design every attraction for everyone and it's my own fault that I missed the warnings on the card and the test seat. Maybe with lots of futzing around and trying again we could have gotten it to work, but I can't expect that the cast members should hold up the queue for an unreasonable amount of time just to make me fit. If they had to do that for every heavy set guest that struggles to fit it would not be fair to the other riders as my weight isn't their problem. I appreciate your friendly response and apologize if my opening post was snarky, was just frustrated and disappointed about the experience but such is life!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom