News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Just a blue sky idea, and not likely to happen, but given we are talking about TL.....

What if they take over the whole building from Star Tours to the Starcade for whatever this "experience" is going to be. That would be enough to fit a good sized clone of Flights of Passage. And for Startraders they can move that into Launch Bay. I mean Launch Bay works too, but I sort of think they want to keep that for shopping and upcharge events for now.

Consumer

Just a blue sky idea, and not likely to happen, but given we are talking about TL.....

What if they take over the whole building from Star Tours to the Starcade for whatever this "experience" is going to be. That would be enough to fit a good sized clone of Flights of Passage. And for Startraders they can move that into Launch Bay. I mean Launch Bay works too, but I sort of think they want to keep that for shopping and upcharge events for now.
So long as Star Tours is preserved, updated, and brought to Galaxy's Edge, I wouldn't have any complaint, other than I'd prefer an original attraction over Flight of Passage. I'm sure FoP is great, but I'd rather a unique experience for Disneyland that involves moving through physical environments and featuring animatronics.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So long as Star Tours is preserved, updated, and brought to Galaxy's Edge, I wouldn't have any complaint, other than I'd prefer an original attraction over Flight of Passage. I'm sure FoP is great, but I'd rather a unique experience for Disneyland that involves moving through physical environments and featuring animatronics.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but its very likely once Star Tours closes for whatever the eventual replacement is its going to the attraction grave yard.

MagicWDI

I have a feeling they are trying to set up their chess pieces for a Disneyland Forward campaign geared toward the local politicians as well as the public. Disneyland Forward was pitched to bring new IPs and capacity to the resort. So it makes sense to me that Disney may be trying to make the argument to the people/guests/fans that Disney can bring all these new and exciting things to the DLR, but only if the local city council rezones the areas needed.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Project Exo suit - meet a big blue person.

Hulk was clearly the test to be able to use this more for other characters. (Not sure how big Baymax will be or if they'll just use the previous meet outfit for him, but he's another candidate for an Exo suit if they go bigger.)

D.Silentu

A few weeks back, Someone mentioned putting a 3D Avatar movie in the TL theatre.
I did! At the time there was some enthusiasm on the boards about converting the submarines to Avatar and this was my counter proposal. The theater is unused real estate and I believe that we are at a point where the next generation of 3D filmed attractions is just around the corner. The fidelity of the medium has greatly improved and I expect the integration of randomized scenes and effects, as in Star Tours, could keep such an experience from feeling stale.

EDIT: If anyone is curious to read the original post, here it is:
If an Avatar attraction had to go anywhere at Disneyland, it ought to be the Magic Eye Theater. Aside from the bonus of replacing Disney's flavor of the month showcase, the attraction would return to its 3D roots, featuring the latest developments in that field. Intrinsically, it would take advantage of the most celebrated aspect of the film and presumably the sequels: the planet Pandora realized in 3D. Personally, I would appreciate another attraction at the park that allows me to rest a bit while being entertained.

I realize conventional wisdom is that 3D movie based attractions don't have staying power thanks to their repetitive nature. I would posit that there simply hasn't been one built that takes advantage of contemporary advancements. Star Tours, for example, has multiple sequences that play at random and an attraction film could adopt this method. What I think is even more exciting is the possibility of such a spontaneous approach to the 3D elements! The combined variety of different films in tandem with equally unpredictable 3D effects would foster repeat visits. Not to mention it's easy to imagine a theater filled with those floating luminescent jellyfish creatures.

The Magic Eye Theater already has a motion base to help sell the experience, perhaps of us landing on another planet. In theatre projection mapping is already being used by Universal with fantastic results. Incorporate the institutional mainstays of water spritzes, compressed air bursts, and scents and all put together I believe you have the recipe for a brand new kind of experience. I daresay it could be possible to blur the line between a 3D movie and a ride. Perhaps the most impressive show of this kind that I've ever seen was Terminator 2-3D, specifically the first and third act. This could be the next evolution of that sort of adventure and it may be fate that it stems from another James Cameron creation.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

A permanent Avatar film in the Magic Eye Theater would be good.

It's a franchise that really warrants a theatrical viewing, and since it's not in theaters permanently, why not a short film that allows people to experience the 3D and high frame rate when they visit DL?

TP2000

Amazing how fast the game of telephone screws with the messaging (no Deadline, Iger never outright said it was an attraction and it wasn't called "The Avatar Experience" but an Avatar experience):

View attachment 697242

This is what laughably passes for "journalism" now in the news business, which is a business populated by a gaggle of college grad Communications Majors who still share an apartment with other Communications Majors. Whose turn is it to clean the microwave?! :rolleyes:

TP2000

I have a feeling they are trying to set up their chess pieces for a Disneyland Forward campaign geared toward the local politicians as well as the public. Disneyland Forward was pitched to bring new IPs and capacity to the resort. So it makes sense to me that Disney may be trying to make the argument to the people/guests/fans that Disney can bring all these new and exciting things to the DLR, but only if the local city council rezones the areas needed.

I see the validity in that strategy, but I think you're giving both Disney execs and Anaheim politicians too much credit.

There is still an active FBI investigation into Anaheim City Hall, including TDA's Director of External Affairs, Carrie Nocella.

The FBI is still circling City Hall in their unmarked vans. They recently got a plea deal from one of the players in this ongoing investigation, California Democratic Party leader Melahat Rafiei. This Dem leader may be able to shave off a decade or so of her sentence if she rats enough people out in Anaheim.

When Anaheim pols (and a couple of TDA execs) are still under FBI investigation, they don't really care where AvatarLand may go in 2028.

Last edited:

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

The ride building for FoP is ~44K sq ft (not including all the themeing area around the main building). Best measurement I can find for the are you are referring to is ~36K sq ft (and not in the same dimensions as at DAK). So, if it's a direct port, they could maybe do it there, but it would only include 2 (maybe 3) theaters and there really would be no room for themeing around the ride so it would all have to stay very industrial (which would be fine for Tomorrowland).

Rich T

If an Avatar land was coming to Disneyland, the only area with enough space for it would be Tom Sawyer's Island. Could the island be rethemed to Pandora?
Well… even though something that gross would not surprise me at this point, I’m going to guess that they would not go to the expense of creating a Pandora unless Flight of Passage was coming along with it. So, yes, they *could* technically ruin TSI and the Rivers of America, but no, they won’t.

waltography

If it indeed is a “version of” the land it better be going in DCA and not Disneyland. But where could it go in DCA? Hollywood backlot/ Eastern Gateway expansion area or Simba lot for “Disneyland” Forward? Would seem like it’s premature to announce something for either of these areas. Especially the latter.
I have no concept of size, but if that wasn't a concern I'd like to see Alpha Centauri Expeditions Presents Flight of Passage where Launch Bay is. Use the same preshow that Cosmic Rewind uses to teleport us to Pandora.

If Tomorrowland had to be IP-fied, I think one neat way would be to return to its corporate-sponsored World's Fair-esque roots but with a mix of fictional companies/institutions (ACE, Stark, ENCOM, San Fransokyo Institute of Technology, etc.).

I personally don't care where it ends up in DCA because I don't think it belongs there (but given the growing disparity in ride count between DL and DCA I don't think we have much of a choice).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom