Pre-Trip Autism Move Over… There’s a Teenager on The Loose and Mommy’s Going Gluten Free!

Welcome everyone to our September 2015 Pre-Trip Report

So here we are…

It’s been a tough year. We honestly didn’t think this trip would happen. It has just been one thing after another since last December! We lost my mother-in-law to Cancer in February. It still doesn't feel real to me. Her first trip to Disney World was with us in February 2008. It was also our 5 year old Julia’s first trip – so we have very special memories.

Dely & Julia Disney 2008.jpg

Disney 2008 2.jpg

Disney 2008 5.jpg

Disney 2008 6.jpg

Disney 2008 8.jpg

At the same time we lost my MIL, my husband lost his job. And since then, we have had a cousin who had a brain aneurysm, my father-in-law had 2 heart attacks, and most recently, Julia dislocated her knee ice-skating and I found out that I have “a few” bulging disks in my back! Mix that in with one of the most brutal northeast winters that I can remember and a summer that refuses to arrive!

Thankfully, my husband was able to get another job quickly and even though it will be tight, we really need some serious “happy time”. So we are heading back home to FQ. As much as Julia wants to stay at POP, I can’t leave FQ. It is too small and quiet and lovely.

There’s me - Mary aka “mom”

EPCOT_CHRCON1_7057364731.jpeg

Ross the dad aka Grumpy
Disney 2014 Day 11 045.JPG

Julia – now the teenager – aka “sissy”

Disney 2014 Day 10 033.JPG

Hope – aka “the Hopester” my 6 year old diagnosed with profound Autism. While our trips to Disney are always a challenge, they are so rewarding and always a positive experience.

Disney 2014 Day 4 097.JPG

Our past adventures include:

2014 Trip Report: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/honey-i-blew-up-the-magic-band-completed.892800/

2013 Trip Report: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/completed-this-is-autism-when-you-add-a-little-pixie-dust.873100/

Usually, the most challenging part of planning our trip is taking into consideration Hope’s diagnosis of Autism. From the plane ride to the hotel room to the crowds in the park and the ride experiences, I spend a lot of time strategizing on what will help to make the most magical time for us - as well as for the people who are in close proximity to us!

But this year brings new challenges. First, Julia is now a teenager. I’ve heard from a lot of people that trips to Disney change as kids get older and usually not for the better. I am so scared that Julia will be bored or not be too immersed in the magic of it all. So I am trying to think of some new things for us to do to keep her “locked in” Disney Magic.

And then there’s my new diet. A few months back, I started a Gluten Free diet. I do not have Celiac, but I wasn’t feeling so great and I think all the stress in our lives was taking a toll on me. So a few people said I should give going GF a try – and I have to admit I started to feel better and get a lot of energy back. So I’m trying to figure out how eating GF at Disney will be. I will admit I am NOT happy about forgoing the dessert at Ohanna’ nor the pretzel bread at Germany nor Pooh's Puffed French Toast. And of course, Ross is certain that my dietary restrictions will add unwanted drama to our adventure.

Drama?

Us?

No…Not our family…

FlaggNL

Hej there! Off course I read your previous TR's and as always they are great! But reading this... wow.. you have quite a history! Does Disney brings positive vibes for Hope? And about the teenager.... our Sacha is 18 and can't wait to be back in the world in 2015 en 2016 :) Enjoy the pre feelings and good luck with all the planning! As always following along!

lostpro9het

It’s been a tough year....
That was an understatement right there! I read your update imaging you, despite all that you wrote about, with a smile on your face thinking about September. Our DD had been a teen for a few months when we went on our most recent trip and we too were concerned. We quickly learned that it was for not as she had a wonderful time. Few weeks ago she was having a bad week and we surprised her by telling her of a long weekend we had planned and she immediately did a 180 and started talking about all the things she wanted to see and do when we hit the bubble. All that to say, I think your teen will turn into a pre-teen when she hits the bubble.

Looking forward to your trip report!

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I'm so sorry to hear of all your troubles. I truly hope things will keep getting better! @coachwnh is an expert at gluten-free and a really nice guy who will be quite happy to help. Special diets is quite helpful just note GF on all your ADRs and most qs places have at least a few things that are GF. More good news my older ds is autistic and we've found going with him is easier now that he's older. Everybody seem to turn into a kid at Disney and have a wonderful time. I'm glad you chose a quieter resort that should help also. We're staying off-sight just so we know we'll have a quiet place for him at night. Contact your airline and see if they can help with any check in issues. Good luck and have a magical time.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Since Julia has been enjoying WDW starting at age 5 (she resembles Hope in that picture from AK!), I don't expect you will have any teen angst/attitude issues with her when you are there. All three of my children began going to Disney as toddlers, and our vacations were always the highlight of their year...even as teens! My oldest son honeymooned at WDW, and we vacationed with him and his wife last September (same week you were there.) My middle son asked me to accompany him this September, and we will have three trips with our youngest daughter this year.

A love of Disney, borne early, is a love for a lifetime. :happy:

coachwnh

as @figmentfan423 said, let me know if there is anyting you would like to know about GF dining in Disney! Up front I will tell you that GF dining options for my wife was one of the main things that made us such WDW fans. You can have real food, real fried food, and real dessert while at Disney all while eating GF. And my wife doesn't have an option, so you are in good hands while you are there!

ScarletBegonias

Yay!!! Another Figment trip! I loved your last TR, and I'm excited to read along again.

You sure have had a year. Ouch. So sorry for your losses! Happy times are definitely in order!

I DO have Celiac and am very curious about eating in WDW. What days in September are you going!? I am going in September too!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Hej there! Off course I read your previous TR's and as always they are great! But reading this... wow.. you have quite a history! Does Disney brings positive vibes for Hope? And about the teenager.... our Sacha is 18 and can't wait to be back in the world in 2015 en 2016 :) Enjoy the pre feelings and good luck with all the planning! As always following along!

Yes - we do have a history with Disney! It was actually a tragedy that brought us there in 2008 - our family needed a healing place to "restart life" and Disney continues to be that for us. So I would say Disney brings positive vibes for all of us!

So glad to hear that Sacha is 18 and still loves to travel with the parental unit - hope that remains for our family too. Congratulations on your 2 future trips!

Thanks for following along!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
That was an understatement right there! I read your update imaging you, despite all that you wrote about, with a smile on your face thinking about September. Our DD had been a teen for a few months when we went on our most recent trip and we too were concerned. We quickly learned that it was for not as she had a wonderful time. Few weeks ago she was having a bad week and we surprised her by telling her of a long weekend we had planned and she immediately did a 180 and started talking about all the things she wanted to see and do when we hit the bubble. All that to say, I think your teen will turn into a pre-teen when she hits the bubble.

Looking forward to your trip report!

Thanks for sharing! Nothing like a surprise trip to Disney to turn your week around! I do agree, when you drive by that sign, who can't help but turn into a kid again? Enjoying your reports too!

Thanks for reading!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
I'm so sorry to hear of all your troubles. I truly hope things will keep getting better! @coachwnh is an expert at gluten-free and a really nice guy who will be quite happy to help. Special diets is quite helpful just note GF on all your ADRs and most qs places have at least a few things that are GF. More good news my older ds is autistic and we've found going with him is easier now that he's older. Everybody seem to turn into a kid at Disney and have a wonderful time. I'm glad you chose a quieter resort that should help also. We're staying off-sight just so we know we'll have a quiet place for him at night. Contact your airline and see if they can help with any check in issues. Good luck and have a magical time.

Thanks so much! I've been doing some "homework" on menus and such. I did make the note on my ADRs, i guess I'm a little more curious about how the CS will work. Wondering if they have a separate menu or if they make notations on the general menu.

We fly on Jet Blue - and love them. (This will be our last time flying with free luggage.) :( They have always gone out of their way for us. One year, we asked to be boarded first and then the next, we asked to be boarded last. I find them vey accommodating and kind.

Thanks for reading!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Since Julia has been enjoying WDW starting at age 5 (she resembles Hope in that picture from AK!), I don't expect you will have any teen angst/attitude issues with her when you are there. All three of my children began going to Disney as toddlers, and our vacations were always the highlight of their year...even as teens! My oldest son honeymooned at WDW, and we vacationed with him and his wife last September (same week you were there.) My middle son asked me to accompany him this September, and we will have three trips with our youngest daughter this year.

A love of Disney, borne early, is a love for a lifetime. :happy:

Oh wow - that is so sweet! I hope our family will continue in our Disney love too! Julia is very excited so I think I may be worrying for nothing. (But that's what I do.)

So funny, I never saw the resemblance in those pictures until you pointed it out!

Thanks for reading!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
as @figmentfan423 said, let me know if there is anyting you would like to know about GF dining in Disney! Up front I will tell you that GF dining options for my wife was one of the main things that made us such WDW fans. You can have real food, real fried food, and real dessert while at Disney all while eating GF. And my wife doesn't have an option, so you are in good hands while you are there!

Thanks so much! I appreciate the advice. Have you dined at Ohanna or Hoop Dee Do Review? Also, how do you go about ordering CS meals? Is there a special menu or do you just order from the regular menu and tell them about your dietary needs? Any favorite treats your wife recommends?

Thanks for reading!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Yay!!! Another Figment trip! I loved your last TR, and I'm excited to read along again.

You sure have had a year. Ouch. So sorry for your losses! Happy times are definitely in order!

I DO have Celiac and am very curious about eating in WDW. What days in September are you going!? I am going in September too!

Thanks so much!

We are going the 11th-21st. I'm NOT happy about flying on the 11th - but my husband's schedule had to be accommodated. When will you be there?

Thanks for reading!

coachwnh

Thanks so much! I appreciate the advice. Have you dined at Ohanna or Hoop Dee Do Review? Also, how do you go about ordering CS meals? Is there a special menu or do you just order from the regular menu and tell them about your dietary needs? Any favorite treats your wife recommends?

Thanks for reading!
We have eaten at both of those. At O'Hana, all of the meats are good as is. This was not always the case. They will bring you your own veggies and wings, and you cant have the noodles, bread, or dumplings. You will also get your own dessert. I have pictures. Ill show you some of the things we had there that are GF.

Hoop-dee-doo we had to call ahead. They had a separate plate for my wife. Everything she had was good.

As far as favorites, Narcoossee at the grand floridian has gluten free calamari!!! The Yachtsman at the Yacht Club has GF lobster bisque. She is also a big fan of the potato leek soup at Be Our Guest.

Whe you order at CS, just tell the CM that you have an allergy. They normally get a manager to assist you; however, GF has become so much more common that many of the CMs can help you right away.

Hope these tips help. Dont be afraid to ask again. Have a great time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom