Autism lawsuit court date set Feb 2020

nickys

Premium Member
Is there any other report of this?

The Sentinel still won’t allow those of us in the U.K. to view it’s articles. But every report I’ve seen comes back to their site.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Is there any other report of this?

The Sentinel still won’t allow those of us in the U.K. to view it’s articles. But every report I’ve seen comes back to their site.

After a five-year court battle, a federal lawsuit demanding that people with autism go the front of the line at Disney World rides is going to trial in February, a judge has ruled.
U.S. District Judge Anne Conway set a four-day, non-jury trial in Orlando to start Feb. 18, according to court documents filed last month.

The lawsuit involving a plaintiff identified only as “A.L.” was filed in 2014 after Disney changed its policy to ban people with disabilities from going to the front of the line. Reports had gone viral that some wealthy visitors abused the system by hiring guests with disabilities to accompany them to the front.
Now, Disney allows people with disabilities to reserve a ride in advance, like a FastPass, by using what’s called a Disability Access Service Card.

But advocates argue that under DAS Card, getting a return time is equivalent to a wait, and it becomes a struggle for those with severe autism who don’t understand the concept of time and are prone to meltdowns.
Disney says the new policy is fair. “Disney Parks have an unwavering commitment to providing an inclusive and accessible environment for all our guests,” the company said in a statement last year.

Autism is a developmental disability that affects people in different ways. The disease, which hits one out every 59 children, can affect people’s social skills or their ability or communicate. For A.L., he “was incapable of deviating from consistency, order and routine,” the lawsuit said.
A.L., an Orange County man who was 22 when the lawsuit was first filed, followed a strict routine at Magic Kingdom, traveling “in only one direction, stopping at only the same places, in the same order, every time.”

Last year, Tampa attorney Andy Dogali won a victory when a federal appeals court ruled the Disney lawsuits should be heard at trial.

Dogali said he does not expect to reach a settlement before the February trial after more than five years of legal fighting with Disney.
He currently represents 29 similar plaintiffs in Florida but only the case with A.L. has been set for trial.
Dogali also plans to go to trial March 31 in California in a similar legal fight over accommodations at Disney’s Anaheim parks, he said.

BigThunderMatt

I was there for the DAS rollout. The system is fair. The old system was incredibly easy to abuse and worked in almost a reverse discriminatory way against guests without disabilities. It's simple: if you can't physically wait in the line, you shouldn't have to. But if guests without disabilities have to wait X amount of time, so do you, but elsewhere and able to do things in that time guests without disabilities cannot (since they are physically in the line). Until these people start sharing exactly how they manage to deal with not being able to go to the front of the line literally anywhere else outside Disney, I 100% refuse to believe this is anything more than using your own or your child's disability as an undeserved sense of entitlement.

nickys

Premium Member

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

ImperfectPixie

I'm mom of two autistic boys. One kid understands time fairly well, the other doesn't. While I do feel for those whom the lawsuit is referencing, I'm REALLY glad Disney closed the loophole that was being abused prior to adopting the DAS pass.

Honestly this just smacks of "I WANT IT NOW". There isn't any way a person of 22 years of age hasn't experienced having to wait in their lives - disability or not. And I get the routine thing - my youngest is like that with certain things. That being said, I really think this young man's parents have done him a dis-service by allowing him to operate as if things will never change and to follow such a strict routine when they're at MK. I'm not even sure I buy that, as there's almost always at least one or two things closed for one reason or another...how do they handle those? I realize there are a wide range and that severity varies with autism...but something just isn't ringing true here.

flynnibus

Premium Member
giphy (3).gif

giphy (3).gif
giphy (3).gif
giphy (3).gif
giphy (3).gif

But I expect such a case to be taken to appeals too.. no way either side is going to let one judgement stand.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom