Autism and WDW

donaldtoo

Wow! Magical, indeed @cococola44! :)
So happy for him and all of y'all...! :happy:
Our middle child (DS, now 23 - he has an older and younger sister) is on the autism spectrum and also has been diagnosed with Asperger's, but, fortunately, to a much lesser degree than so many others, and Disney is definitely his happy place!!! :)
We just got back this past Saturday from a whirlwind Princess 5K (which he and all of our family participated in) trip, and he was practically begging us to find a way to stay longer...!
Anyway, thanks for sharing your Magical story, and, again, so very happy for him and all of y'all...!!! :happy: :)

mimitchi33

That's such a wonderful story. I bet your little boy was surprised by that treatment. I have Asperger's too (I am ColumbiaBinks' sister, and I went to the same two meet and greets she did), and would probably get so excited if I met my favorite Disney character, Bing Bong, or even Joy or Figment (I loved him as an elementary schooler, and I still have my plush of him!)

Dragonrider1227

What a great story! I have a little brother with autism myself and since he was three on our first trip in '90 his favorite thing about Disney World has been the characters. Gotta get his picture with them, gotta get their autograph, gotta see them in the parades, the works. When he was three, there was only two things that would calm him down after an over-stimulating ride. the bathroom for a few minutes, or just seeing one of the characters.

cococola44

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. :) Both of my boys have IEPs and I had that added to our magic bands. When we wanted to go on a ride, we went right up to the CM and got a return time for our family. My sons both have issues with waiting and have tendencies to have melt downs in some crowds.

We brought Buddy on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train... my husband and my son got to sit in the back row and WOW my son just had a ball! :) I tell ya can be amazing for special needs children!

DreamBig27

I am happy to be back and active on this website. I wanted to share a short story with you.

My husband and I have three children. My two boys were diagnosed with Autism. Last year was the first time we took our kids. Jesa was 6, my sons were 3 and 2. Buddy, my middle child, has more severe Autism. We were worried about how my sons would react to WDW. We went in one of the most
crowView attachment 131168 ded times which was June 28th to July 6 of last year. My son loveeees Mickey. That is his comfort character/toy to transition him from activity to activity at home and at school.

We went to Character Spot at Epcot and there was 5 minutes that was beyond magic.

My son is non-verbal. So his words are limited. His kisses were when he leaned his head in for a forehead kiss. We set him down and he ran to the Mickey. We explained to the Mickey that Buddy has autism but that he was his favorite character. At that time, once the rest of the room left.. Mickey went to grab the Goofy and Minnie.

They all crowded around my son. He spent the time with smiles, hugging and kissing them all. My husband stood by my son and we both observed such an incredible moment blossom. With tears in our eyes, we saw our son do some things that we never saw him do with that much life and love in his eyes. IF you have a child with Autism, Disney just may be the most amazing gift of therapy you can possibly give a child.

I realize your post is almost three years old, but thank you so much for it! I teared up reading it! We went to WDW last year when my daughter was seven months old, and she was since diagnosed with ASD. So we're going in February, she's two, and I am extremely nervous. This is very encouraging <3

NickMaio

I am happy to be back and active on this website. I wanted to share a short story with you.

My husband and I have three children. My two boys were diagnosed with Autism. Last year was the first time we took our kids. Jesa was 6, my sons were 3 and 2. Buddy, my middle child, has more severe Autism. We were worried about how my sons would react to WDW. We went in one of the most
crowView attachment 131168 ded times which was June 28th to July 6 of last year. My son loveeees Mickey. That is his comfort character/toy to transition him from activity to activity at home and at school.

We went to Character Spot at Epcot and there was 5 minutes that was beyond magic.

My son is non-verbal. So his words are limited. His kisses were when he leaned his head in for a forehead kiss. We set him down and he ran to the Mickey. We explained to the Mickey that Buddy has autism but that he was his favorite character. At that time, once the rest of the room left.. Mickey went to grab the Goofy and Minnie.

They all crowded around my son. He spent the time with smiles, hugging and kissing them all. My husband stood by my son and we both observed such an incredible moment blossom. With tears in our eyes, we saw our son do some things that we never saw him do with that much life and love in his eyes. IF you have a child with Autism, Disney just may be the most amazing gift of therapy you can possibly give a child.
Just picturing this moment brought tears to my eyes - - - thank you for sharing your beautiful family and your experience with us.
This is one of the many reasons why WDW is one of the greatest places on Earth. Making everlasting memories and the amazing employees and cast members who really care.

Peace and Love
Nick

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom