Australia makes NO sense!

mandib

Original Poster
I was watching olympic softball this morning and the US was playing Australia. Australia's flag colors are red,white, and blue. Well then I look at they're uniforms and they're green and yellow. Now why is that? The more I thought about it the more I realized they always wear yellow and green. At my own softball practice I asked and no one could tell me so I come to my wealth of knowledge...you! So does anyone want to fill me in on this?

WDWScottieBoy

I was wondering that same thing last night watching volleyball and swimming. I always think it's Brazil since they are known for their green and yellow clothing and flag, but not the Aussies. I don't think anyone on the boards is from there so we can't find out that way. Maybe the members we have from Brazil would know? :lol: I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't understand this, too.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
This taken from the Aussie Prime Minister's website:

Australias National Colours

Green and gold were proclaimed Australia?s national colours by the Governor-General on 19 April 1984. Prior to the proclamation Australia had no official colours. Three colour combinations traditionally had claim to be Australia?s national colours: red, white and blue; blue and gold; and green and gold.

The colours red, white and blue were featured in the first Coat of Arms of the Commonwealth in 1908 and are the colours of the Australian national flag.

The colours blue and gold have heraldic significance as they are the colours of the crest in the 1912 (present) Commonwealth Coat of Arms.

The colours green and gold gained wide popularity and acceptance as the traditional national colours in Australian and international sporting events since before Federation and have been associated with many great sporting achievements since.

also, check out their national floral emblem, the wattle: http://www.pm.gov.au/aus_in_focus/nat_symbols/emblems.html

mandib

Original Poster
Thanks but I still think it's pretty stupid and doesn't make much sense. lol Oh well! I always know who the US is and thats all that counts.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
there's much more to a country than its flag ;)

personally, I think there's too many countries using red, white, and blue for their colours (even if it is their flag), and a change is good in this ocassion

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom