Aulani????

The Crickets

Original Poster
Has anyone stayed there recently???? Looking for info on best time to go, what to see etc....
We're thinking of next May if we decide to go....

mousekedoc

Premium Member
Went this March. Rainy. Temps in 60’s. I was told very atypical. I would not recommend rainy season, even if it is whale season. I’ve been a DVC member for 11 years. The facility is beautiful and staff very friendly. I was very disappointed in the meals. Their signature restaurant ran out of steaks for the whole week we were there. They were able to offer strip on two days and ribeye on two days, the whole week no filet. I still find that inexcusable. The buffet evening offerings varied very little day to day for the entire ten days. Monkey Pods restaurant across the street reasonable and very good. Roy’s in golf resort across street expensive but also top notch.Do get a rental car and explore the island.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I don't think there's any transport from Aulani to the MK... but if you have your own hypersonic jet or a teleporter, it might work.

mousekedoc

Premium Member
We had a private car to Aulani because of our luggage. We were supposed to have same car service to airport. They never showed, so we had to use taxi service — two of them— back to airport. Aulani paid for one of them. Our car service was $110. The taxi was $100 each. I don’t know about Uber or lyft, but hope these prices help you be a more educated consumer.

TiggerDad

Given events on the Main Island?
I suspect bookings, and cancellations, have become interesting :).
You do realize that Kilauea is a couple hundred miles away from Aulani, and on a different island, right?

Speaking of distance, as others have said, Aulani is not close to the main tourist attractions. That is ideal if you are looking for a self-contained resort vacation to get away from it all, but I would not use it as a base to tour Pearl Harbor and the other sights of Hawaii. Traffic is awful, and everything is very expensive anywhere in the state because they have to import almost everything they need (like steaks) from the mainland.

andy773

If you plan on doing any sight-seeing, it's worth it to rent a car. If you're DVC, parking is free at Aulani. We were there a week in April 2016. Spent one day at Pearl Harbor, downtown Honolulu and a luau. Spent another day at the Dole Plantation and the north shore. We're going again April 2019 and are planning to go to Diamond Head.

Bisney

We were there last year May and this year May and the weather was great both times. I agree with others that if you intend to do anything other than stay at the resort, then you will definitely need a rental car. This side of the island is so much more quiet and calm compared to other areas (mainly Honolulu), but it is a bit of a drive to some of those other areas (up to 45 min. - 1 hour depending), but it's beautiful to just drive around there so we never minded this very much. We loved the resort very much and everyone is so nice and it is beautiful and clean as you would expect from a Disney property. We enjoyed the restaurants there, but they are pricey as is everything in Hawaii. We had a free shuttle both times to and from the airport - it was a new company this year (called Hele Hele transportation) and they were wonderful and very attentive and prompt. Both to and from we were the only customers in the Mercedes Van that they use. There are so many things to do on the island you could just do a quick google search and see the wide range of things. If you want to do something 'extra' I would definitely recommend a Luau (Paradise Cove is a great one and is within walking distance from Aulani), snorkeling or a movie tour from the Kualoa Ranch where lots of movies have been filmed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom