August Questions.................

Kellylynn322

I am currently planning a trip for sometime in the last 2 weeks of August. I am bringing my Aunt and 2 Cousins with me, who have never been to WDW. Can anyone tell me what they have encountered there at this time as far as weather, crowds, attractions being closed or anything that would help or that someone wants to share. All info is appreciated. Thanks!

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Originally posted by Kellylynn322
I am currently planning a trip for sometime in the last 2 weeks of August. I am bringing my Aunt and 2 Cousins with me, who have never been to WDW. Can anyone tell me what they have encountered there at this time as far as weather, crowds, attractions being closed or anything that would help or that someone wants to share. All info is appreciated. Thanks!

We go in August every year. The crowds at that time seem to be much lighter than the rest of the summer, but not as light as in the off season. Local kids go back to school early in August and in other parts of the country as well. There are fewer tour groups at that time too. The park hours are reduced toward the end of the month though. The weather is usually hot (low to mid 90's) and mostly sunny, with a short heavy downpour most days in the afternoon.:)

Upvote 0
August is a great time to go, especially those last 2 weeks. I would say the only problem we encountered was mosquitoes. Bug spray definetly would have helped. Nothing like watching a night time parade in the MK and swatting at the same time :lol: The tour groups are gone as well as most kids are in or getting ready for school. The hours are dramatically cut for the 4th week, but we only saw 3 people in the Stormalong Bay pool at the Beach Club. Amazing as it can be a bottle neck at times. It should also be lots easier of get Priority Seating for anywhere you want as long as you plan ahead, not to mention good character interaction and if you are staying on site you might have a greater chance of having your room request filled, (make sure to fax the hotel with the attention of the room assigner). Good luck and happy planning.

Upvote 0

mickeyfanatics

Just one note about August. It is still extremely hot in Florida in August. Make sure you plan to spen mornings (9-12) and afternoons and evenings (3-close) in the parks and spend the hot parts of the day 12-3 at your hotel, pool, or water park.

Upvote 0

leeocean

I agree with mickeyfanatics, spend mornings and nights at the parks and afternoons in the pool. It is really hot in August but the rain really cools it off. It rained once a day when we went a few years ago in August. Just have ponchos ready to go for sudden downpours. I love the last week of August because it's not too crowded. The local kids are already back in school. Rarely does an attraction go down for rehab in August. Stay at a resort that has a pool you like. And drink lots of bottled water.

Upvote 0

Sherm00

August is my favorite time to go. I'll second the go to the park early, leave the park by 11:30 or noon just as the park gets busy go to the pool swimming downtown disney wherever then go back to then come back around 4 or 4:30 and spend the evenings in the park. last time we went we brought I good camera (i reccomend a digital, film dosn't fair well in the heat as we found out the hard way) anyway one of us carried the camera whilt the other carried the hip pouch with ponchos, tumms, and asprin. and we would switch day to day of who carried what. that way no one person was loaded down in the heat. also bring an extra pair of sneakers, we had some hard down pours there and sneakers don't dry fast and if you put them in the dryer you run the risk of you sneakers jamming the dryer and breaking (also we found that out the hard way) have fun.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

We make a family visit to WDW in April, during the inevitably crwded Easter break, but I go to to WDW every week by myself in August. It's GREAT - especially if you go mid-to-late August, when the Florida kids are back in school. However, as others have already mentioned, it usually POURS in the afternoon, so my advice would be to get up EARLY, get to the parks, and see as much as you can before those thunderclous roll in. And they will - make no mistake! Last August, the skies were blue and cloudless every morning; by afternoon, I was pouring the water out of my sneakers. Which brings me to another subject - rain gear! Scotchgard your canvas sneakers before you leave. Bring ponchos, umbrellas, a spare pair of dry socks for every day, etc. You WILL need these, because a Florida downpour takes no prisoners!

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

We found late August to be the best time so far. We're planning a return for 2 weeks beginning 14th August next year.

Crouds are lighter, plus with the reduced hours we won't find ourselves (and more importantly our young children) crawling into the hotel room at nearly midnight!

Upvote 0

Kellylynn322

Original Poster
Thank you all for the info. my husband is definetly concerned with the heat in August but its the only time my cousins are able to go. I had never really thought about taking a mid day break and heading to either the pools or the water parks. (My husband and I usually go in late October and heat hasn't been an issue). Thanks again. I knew the people on this board would have the answers I was looking for!

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

The ONLY time I ever went in August the weather was terribly hot and humid - it was also pretty crowded.

Trends may have changed as far as the crowds are concerned, but I'll still never visit in August - it's too darn HOT!!!

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Originally posted by Catch 22
We found late August to be the best time so far. We're planning a return for 2 weeks beginning 14th August next year.

Will be there a few days ahead of you!!:) 1st time at this time of year but no choice because of kids exams.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom