Auditioning for Disney Cruise Line

Jonathan Dalecki

Original Poster
So I tagged a comment onto an old thread about this, but figured a new thread might catch a few more eyes. Anyway, for those of you who follow this sort of thing obsessively (like me), they're putting together a new cast for the Disney Magic for next years cruises, including (based on what they were calling for on the official audition website) a new show that focuses solely on Tangled, as opposed to just being a segment in the Golden Mickeys or Wishes.

Well to make a long story short I went to New York to audition on October 24th, and this past Tuesday they emailed me and asked me to come back in on the 10th of November for a callback. They sent some cool sides to look at. It's a long contract...it would start late January and end in mid December. My main motivation for doing it is the chance to see so much of Europe...much more then I could probably ever see in one lifetime as an average middle class American. My second motivation is because getting to perform in front of thousands of Disney guests having the best vacations of their entire lives sounds like a pretty good way to spend some time.

So that's it. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer. And of course I'll come back here and let you all know what happens, so you'll know if you'll see me on the ship next year!

tigger1968

Very very cool. I wish you the best on this. I do wonder about the idea of seeing a lot of Europe. Some of the things I have read about the cruise industry and DCL seem to indicate that you don't really get a lot of free time. Given the role you would play, perhaps that is different. Do you know what sort of schedules CMs in entertainment get to keep? I'm not trying to be difficult here, just reading your post made me wonder. Heck, even if you don't get to see much of the world...just being onboard would be an amazing experience....

AnxiousAllie

Congrats! One of my friends got a callback and had to do sides as Rapunzel. She ended up singing and then dancing again at her callback. Who are you reading for? Let me know how the callback goes! :)

Jonathan Dalecki

Original Poster
Even if the time to actually get off the ship is minimal, just being able to see so much of Europe just from the ship would be something special. I've never been to Europe, and I know how expensive travel can get. Even if over 5 months I only got the equivalent of a week or two, that's still something I'd pay thousands and thousands for. So I'll take it, regardless :)

That's so cool about your friend, @AnxiousAllie. Was it for the Magic and the new Tangled show, or for the Rapunzel segment in Wishes on the Fantasy? I have sides for the Stabbington Brothers for the new Tangled show and for Hades for "Villains Tonight".

AnxiousAllie

Yeah it was for the new Tangled show. She auditioned in Chicago last week and they held callbacks a few days later. She's anxiously awaiting to hear back, as I'm sure you can imagine. Break legs at your callback, and let me know how it goes! I wonder how long it will take for them to get offers out.

Jonathan Dalecki

Original Poster
Thanks! You know I hadn't actually considered that I might not find out yay or nay at the callback. I don't know how much longer I can take the stress! Hopefully, if they've already had Chicago callbacks, maybe the New York ones are last and we'll all know soon one way or another. Best wishes to your friend!

AnxiousAllie

Yeah I believe they are the last ones because she said they gave them the option to do the callback in NYC if they couldn't make them in Chicago. Excited for you!

ChuckElias

Even if the time to actually get off the ship is minimal, just being able to see so much of Europe just from the ship would be something special.
Jonathan,

Just so you know, the stage cast DO get to get off the ship once in a while. I know, because my family had lunch in Berlin with one of the cast members who sang in the production shows onboard. I can't tell you how OFTEN they got to do this, but I know that they do get shore time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Like most cast - they do get time off to be allowed to go ashore.. but from my research... its only a handful of times.

If you want to see Europe... train to be a flight attendant :)

Jonathan Dalecki

Original Poster
It went pretty well. Either they genuinely liked what I was doing, because they were smiling and laughing, or they're all pretty good actors. :) It was two tables with 4 people total from the production team, plus one piano player. In addition to the bit from Villains Tonight and Tangled they also had me do a little bit of a song from Twice Charmed that the Prince's father sings. Apparently they still need a few more days to make all their casting decisions, I'm guessing coordinating between all the callbacks from NY, Chicago, Toronto, etc. I've got a pretty good feeling, because they really seemed to like me, but regardless it was a ton of fun and a great experience, so if I don't get it I still grew a ton as a performer.

Jonathan Dalecki

Original Poster
Nope, no dancing again for me (although I'd practiced the routine from the audition just in case). Guess they didn't need it for the characters I was reading for. But I can't say if other people might have had to dance or not. And I'm with your friend. Pins and needles here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom