Attractions of interest for kids in the Country Pavilions

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
One of my favorite areas in all of WDW, if even just for the ambiance and beauty of the area is the Countries in Epcot. And yet, I am woefully uninformed about things to do and see, specifically with kids. I've only been twice in my life, once in 1990 and once in 2012 as an adult.

Going this fall with kids aged 6, 7 and 9.5.............Any tips?

All I know of so far are:

Frozen ever after, live music here or there, and Remy's Ratatoullie.

I know there is more than that I'm missing. Anything the kids won't be bored to tears with? That could include any live shows or music specifically, cultural exhibits we might look at for 10-15 min, or interesting shops to browse in.

ps: I know a big aspect of this area is the food and beer/wine.......We have that covered I think for my wife and I, and a snack or treat for kids. For a sit down meal we're looking into options, San Angel Inn at Mexico or Biergarten in Germany, or Space 220 or Coral Reef back in the other area of the park.

trainplane3

One of my favorite areas in all of WDW, if even just for the ambiance and beauty of the area is the Countries in Epcot. And yet, I am woefully uninformed about things to do and see, specifically with kids. I've only been twice in my life, once in 1990 and once in 2012 as an adult.

Going this fall with kids aged 6, 7 and 9.5.............Any tips?

All I know of so far are:

Frozen ever after, live music here or there, and Remy's Ratatoullie.

I know there is more than that I'm missing. Anything the kids won't be bored to tears with? That could include any live shows or music specifically, cultural exhibits we might look at for 10-15 min, or interesting shops to browse in.

ps: I know a big aspect of this area is the food and beer/wine.......We have that covered I think for my wife and I, and a snack or treat for kids. For a sit down meal we're looking into options, San Angel Inn at Mexico or Biergarten in Germany, or Space 220 or Coral Reef back in the other area of the park.
The boat ride in Mexico is another I didn't see listed. It's a decent length and the lines are usually short.

- Italy has Sergio the juggling mime. Fun act to watch and your kids may be asked to participate. About 10 minutes long. I still make time for Sergio to this day. I hear the whistle, I go to the Italy pavilion.

- China has acrobats and storytelling. I think the shows alternate, unless covid changed that to only acrobats. About 10 to 15 minutes. Entertaining to watch either show, kids should have fun.
- Mexico has Mariachi Cobre. Great group, sometimes has interactive dancing (might not anymore?). They play a song from Coco typically. About 15 minutes. Could bore the kids since it's "only" music.
- Germany - Since you're there in the fall, there may be a fun group performing next to the pavilion. Very entertaining. They play music with all sorts of objects. (and you can grab a drink since there's booths next to them).

More acts may (and hopefully will) return by then. The chair stacking group in France are a lot of fun to watch.

doctornick

I think they are still doing some of KidCot stations at every pavilion where you can gets stamps or stickers indicating you visited each country. They sell passports to put them in as well. When they had the cultural reps in the past, they would also engage with children, teach them a few works and even write hello or such in their native language.

France now has the BatB singalone in the theater during the day

I think the CircleVision shows in China and Canada are kid friendly. Yes, they have to stand but it's an interesting way to watch a film and the material is accessible to someone young. They are a little on the younger side for American Adventure, but being in A/C on soft seats isn't a bad thing at all. When I last went my tween children (11 and 13 at the time) really enjoyed it and asked a lot of questions after.

It would be ideal if they every got around to opening up the Ducktales replacement for Agent P (if that even still being considered). It was great for kids.

trainplane3

I think they are still doing some of KidCot stations at every pavilion where you can gets stamps or stickers indicating you visited each country. They sell passports to put them in as well. When they had the cultural reps in the past, they would also engage with children, teach them a few works and even write hello or such in their native language.

I think the CircleVision shows in China and Canada are kid friendly. Yes, they have to stand but it's an interesting way to watch a film and the material is accessible to someone young. They are a little on the younger side for American Adventure, but being in A/C on soft seats isn't a bad thing at all. When I last went my tween children (11 and 13 at the time) really enjoyed it and asked a lot of questions after.
KidCot is active. Not sure if all stations are going but I recall seeing some having activities.

If they're going in the fall, the Canada movie won't be playing. It's sadly used as a booze stand for F&W. The China movie is still really good. The novelty of a full 360 movie should entertain them plenty. Worse case they get bored 5 minutes in. Worse worse case, you leave before it's over (I doubt either of these would happen).

Other things I forgot about somehow:
- Canada does have Alberta Bound as of right now.
- Japan has Matsuriza (the big drums group). Pretty fun to watch performance. There's also the kawaii exhibit in the pavilion (right through the gate, to the left. Store entrance is on right). Some fun (and weird) things to look at.
- China also has the exhibit for Shanghai Disneyland (if that area is open). Not exciting I suppose but the kids might like seeing what a Disney park looks like elsewhere in the world.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Three Caballeros in Mexico is a fun little boat ride, and you can meet Donald in his Three Caballero outfit there.

The BatB Sing-a-Long in France is derided by many. It ain't great, by my 7yo really enjoyed it. The good news is that you can grab some wine before the show, which makes it better....

nickys

Premium Member
The trains!

Whatever exhibition is in the Stave Church could also interest them. I think it was a Thor “related” one after Frozen. Whilst they’re looking at the exhibition, you can look at the actual church structure.

If they like scavenger hunt type activities, get them to check out each of the lamp post designs - they’re different in each pavilion.

Along the same lines:

- The carvings on the outside of Peace Temple in China tell a story, as they do in Germany (St George and the Dragon). Streif teddies and caramels in Germany usually appeal too.

- In Italy, find a picture of St Marks Square in Venice, on your phone and ask them to work out what’s wrong with the Italy pavilion from the lagoon! That should give you time to have a glass of wine or another refreshment.

The drummers in Japan should keep them mesmerised, but the gardens are nice to explore too. Ditto Canada and the U.K.

- In the U.K. look for Christopher Robins bedroom.

- In Canada look at the totem poles.

And the shops in Mexico and Morocco are full of trinkets etc which I found kids loved looking at.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom