Attractions for 5yr old.

Bravefan#1

Original Poster
I posted in the Planning for Christmas thread that I started yesterday that it's our first time going in December, we'll in fact its our first time at Disney altogether, what a great time for our first visit eh :).

So with that in mind, are there any attractions or rides that are OK for a 5yr old, are there any rides I should avoid etc :)?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
The vast majority of attractions are for every age/height.

In my opinion the only attractions that should be avoided are ones that have a height requirement that the child is not tall enough for or attractions that the child does not want to go on.
If the adults would still like to do the attraction then you should look into rider swap.

Here's a list of just some of the attractions that are fine for the entire family.
Peter Pan's Flight, It's a Small World, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise, Under The Sea, Dumbo, Winnie the Pooh, Mickey's Philharmagic, Carousel Of Progress.... and those are just at Magic Kingdom.

For a complete list of attractions and height requirements and who Disney thinks attractions are better geared towards I suggest visiting the Disney World website.

Walt Disney1955

I posted in the Planning for Christmas thread that I started yesterday that it's our first time going in December, we'll in fact its our first time at Disney altogether, what a great time for our first visit eh :).

So with that in mind, are there any attractions or rides that are OK for a 5yr old, are there any rides I should avoid etc :)?

Since my kids were actually younger than 5 (two of them) the first time they visited Disney here is my take. 44" which is around the height of the average 5 year old means your kid will be tall enough for everything at the Magic Kingdom. Epcot too. Also, only Space Mountain and I think Test Track at Epcot are 44" and the rest if there is a requirement is 40" For example our 4 year old went on Thunder and Splash Mountain when she was 4 and just tall enough for the 40" minimum. The only thing in all of Magic Kingdom our 4 year old couldn't do was Space Mountain. But at 5 she could.

Yeah, anyone that says "Just wait until they are older...………" yeah, don't. Go now. It is fun to watch them and be with them. They'll have a blast.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Since my kids were actually younger than 5 (two of them) the first time they visited Disney here is my take. 44" which is around the height of the average 5 year old means your kid will be tall enough for everything at the Magic Kingdom. Epcot too. Also, only Space Mountain and I think Test Track at Epcot are 44" and the rest if there is a requirement is 40" For example our 4 year old went on Thunder and Splash Mountain when she was 4 and just tall enough for the 40" minimum. The only thing in all of Magic Kingdom our 4 year old couldn't do was Space Mountain. But at 5 she could.

Yeah, anyone that says "Just wait until they are older...………" yeah, don't. Go now. It is fun to watch them and be with them. They'll have a blast.

Just wanted to make a correction. TT is 40".

But yes totally agree don't wait and if the child is tall enough and wants to ride don't discourage them.

My niece has always been off the charts for her height.
At 2yrs4mos she was 40" and rode Soarin, TT, and Splash.
At 3yrs4mos I don't think she was 44" yet but she went on those attractions again plus insisted on TOT which is 40".
She's 11.5 right now and is literally a tad taller than me and I'm 5'6" so she's basically an anomaly lol.

Astrotrain

◝⊡_⊡◜
My kids are 7 and 5, both are pretty sensitive hen it comes to rides. They don't like drops (7yo has been getting into them lately though), pirates scares them a decent amount.

Their favorites are Flight of Passage, Small World, Spaceship Earth (which blows my mind but they've always been into it), they both loved Smuggler's Run, Midway Mania, Astro Blasters (think it's Space Ranger Spin in WDW?), the Safari in AK, Jungle Cruise, Star Tours.. Basically all of the 'tame' rides, though Ursula/Flotsam and Jetsam freak them out on Journey of the Little Mermaid. Midway Mania and Astro Blasters are the only ones my kids want to do over and over and over again.

Edit: Each child is different so you'll have to gauge their reactions on smaller rides to see how they may do on bigger rides. I would honestly suggest avoiding Space Mountain, as it's one rider per row and you can't put a hand on your child. It's very disorienting due to how dark it is, they can't see anything and without a parent right next to them it makes that fear even more intense. Space Mountain in Disneyland is much better as it's 2 per row and you can sit next to your child, but my oldest (who has been ok with all of the roller coasters with the exception of rock n roller coaster) was really freaked out.

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Edit: Each child is different so you'll have to gauge their reactions on smaller rides to see how they may do on bigger rides. I would honestly suggest avoiding Space Mountain, as it's one rider per row and you can't put a hand on your child. It's very disorienting due to how dark it is, they can't see anything and without a parent right next to them it makes that fear even more intense. Space Mountain in Disneyland is much better as it's 2 per row and you can sit next to your child, but my oldest (who has been ok with all of the roller coasters with the exception of rock n roller coaster) was really freaked out.

IDK I'd still take a 5yr old on Space Mountain as long as they were tall enough and wanted to ride.
I'd just be sure to let them know ahead of time what the seats are like and show a pic.
I actually have a funny story regarding my first experience on Space.
I was all about coasters until I saw the one person per row seating arrangements.
I usually liked to sit with my dad even though he'd always tickle us to make us put our arms up (in a fun way not a mean way) but he was not making me feel better about the seating arrangements. Instead what did make me feel so much better was when my older sister said don't worry I'll sit behind you and if you fly out I will catch you.
Legit I was all for riding after that and I loved it.
I wouldn't worry too terribly about not being able to touch your child as long as they want to ride.

Walt Disney1955

I also wonder how they work it that the height requirement is 40" on Thunder Mountain, which is a rollercoaster, let's not kid ourselves, and how pretty much everything else in every other amusement park would be 48" for a rollercoaster, even a wooden one. Space Mountain is 44". I just wonder how Disney works around that. I don't think their restraints are any better. I always feel like on Thunder you are swerving around more than normal.

Jon81uk

I also wonder how they work it that the height requirement is 40" on Thunder Mountain, which is a rollercoaster, let's not kid ourselves, and how pretty much everything else in every other amusement park would be 48" for a rollercoaster, even a wooden one. Space Mountain is 44". I just wonder how Disney works around that. I don't think their restraints are any better. I always feel like on Thunder you are swerving around more than normal.

The main theme park in the UK, Alton Towers has a similar mine train ride that is maybe a little more tame and that has a 1.1m (43 inches) restriction so yes 40" seems low, but you are in a fairly high sided train car and it does have individual lap bars I think, individual bars probably make a big difference. In general though I think USA has lower height restrictions than we do. UK is normally 1.2m (47 inches) for a non-inverting coaster and 1.4m (56 inches) for a major coaster.

John park hopper

It really depends on the child and you would know best. My 4 yr old granddaughter on our visit In May (her first WDW trip) is little dare devil. She is tall for her age and wanted to ride every thing. She loved Soarin, and did every coaster she was tall enough to ride. She was disappointed her 6 yr old sister could ride Mt Everest and she was just a little to short. I asked her aren't you scared after one coaster ride she looked at me with her hands on her hips and said Poppa I not scared.

Disney.Mike

I would say any ride that he/she is tall enough to ride will be fine. At 5 years my oldest could (and did) ride everything in the park. She barely made the 48 in cutoff for RnR but she did.

Thankfully my sister was with me so she could take her on ToT...

Honestly beside ToT and MS:Orange (if the child has shown a tendency to get motion sick) I wouldn't be concerned about any of the other rides. Def make them do 7DMT, see how they enjoy it then move them to BTMRR, then Space Mtn

NelleBelle

The main theme park in the UK, Alton Towers has a similar mine train ride that is maybe a little more tame and that has a 1.1m (43 inches) restriction so yes 40" seems low, but you are in a fairly high sided train car and it does have individual lap bars I think, individual bars probably make a big difference. In general though I think USA has lower height restrictions than we do. UK is normally 1.2m (47 inches) for a non-inverting coaster and 1.4m (56 inches) for a major coaster.
No individual lap bars, which I always thought was odd, but we have fit 3 in the row before so maybe that's why? But I do agree that I felt the need to hold on to my kids when they were little as we did "slide" about.

Daddyoh

Disneyland or Disney World ? My first recommendation STROLLER ! This will be the most exciting visit your family will ever have. Are you staying on grounds or are you outside the Parks ? I could recommend all that have been previously said but with me making recommendations I feel it will dampen the first time visit. Just take it slow you can't see it ALL unless you don't mind the walking. I think your best bet is staying in the Magic Kingdom and if it's the WDW, Animal Kingdom as well. EPCOT I don't feel would be that interesting for your 5 yr. old and except for Star Wars at the Studios and Toyland is up for grabs. Keep in mind all the new construction bur December is a real magical time, also keep in mind that all the Resorts will have a different theme the Parks will also have different trees make sure you check them out. In any case ENIOY !!!!!! let us know how it went.

imsosarah

Honestly - the only things he likely wouldn't go on are a couple of coasters - but like 99% is totally fine as long as he is tall enough (and he will be for many thing). I would just say don't only go to magic kingdom, the other parks have a lot for a kid to do that are both rides and not rides.

piru

Hi! We went last year to WDW and my youngest was 6 yo. He loves Roller Coasters but as his brother get motion sick we only did Splash Mountain. We will be visiting Disnelyland Paris next year and hoping we can do Thunder Mountain this time. Tough one of his favorite characters from Movies is Pennywise he was really scarred with HM. Maybe he was just tired! You never know with kids.

Good advise to try 7DMT for instance to see his reaction.

thomas998

You need to know what your child is afraid of and make your selection of rides based on that. If a kid is terrified of heights then something like Soarin isn't a good idea and even a ride like Peter Pan can be an issue. As silly as it is to a grownup that realizes Peter Pan never goes that far off the ground, it had my youngest terrified that they were going to fall out because the illusion that you are flying over London was real to a little kid.

That said, please do yourself and everyone around a favor and don't try to talk your child into riding something they don't want to ride. I've been near parents that did that too many times and it will often end with the kid in meltdown mode crying like crazy... If they are afraid of a ride, not matter how silly you think their fear is just accept that it is a legitimate fear to them and move on.

Michaelson

Unlike adults or older children, little ones that age just don't LIKE big 'surprises'. The anticipation of the unknown we enjoy just creates terror in pre-schoolers.

We 'conditioned' our 4 year old grandson with YouTube video's of the rides he could potentially go on....and that was pretty much everything that his height was going to let him ride. Fortunately he's a tall boy, so very few rides were off the table.

He was VERY excited to watch the videos up to the time we went.......and when we actually RODE them, his excitement was even greater as he already KNEW what to expect, and the thrill of the actual ride just added exponentially to the event.

I wish I had taken a picture of his face when Soar'n started up. PURE joy, plain simple!! He pointed out each scene as it occurred, and was ABOUT to occur as he knew what to expect. The adrenaline rush of the flight was just that for him.....a wonderful experience, and not an 'unknown' for him to fear!

He's now a HUGE Big Thunder Mountain Railroad fan (rode it 4 times this past February), and lately he's been REALLY studying Everest videos, saying 'I'm riding that!' every time he sees it.....and you know, I think it's going to be HIS favorite over BTMRR after he rides it next February.....and he won't turn 5 until next April!

Heck, I figured Dinosaur would bother him, but he just identified the dinosaurs as we passed them (he has books about them at home), and once we finished the ride, simply said, 'that was fun! What's next?' He also had watched the YouTube video many MANY times. We rode THAT one 3 times before our vacation was over!

So, condition them now before you go. You'll be pleasantly surprised how they'll react to the real thing, as once they're comfortable with seeing what to expect, those rides are already an old friend before they even get ON for the first time.

I'm not suggesting this for older kids, though. Apprehension and expectation is all part of the fun.....but our little guys aren't quite ready for that 'jolt' yet.

Been there, done that, SEEN that, and it worked for our grandson!

Regards! Michaelson

Last edited:

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Only you know your child, but here are a couple of pieces of advice:

1. Youtube POV videos can be invaluable. Sit with him/her and watch them - gauge the reactions. See if they are excited or scared, or (at best) scared then happy/excited.

2. Be ready and willing to bail at the last minute if she changes her mind. The last thing you want to do is force a screaming child to do something she doesn't want to do, thereby ruining the ride for yourself, for the child, for the people around you, and potentially ruining the rest of the day and maybe the ride for the child for good.

3. For coasters, you might want to try and do Barnstormer first. Then 7DMT and SDD are the next "easiest." BTMRR can be bumpy. Space Mountain has rows of 1 and is very jerky (especially to the right). That will probably be the only ride my 5yo daughter will be big enough for that I won't take her on in April (her 3rd trip).

4. HM, PotC and ToT can be scary/creepy. See #1 above to deal with it ahead of time, and holding them tight and reassuring them during the ride makes it ok.

Have fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom