Attraction of the Day...Star Tours

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Todays attraction.........

Star Tours!

What do you like about this attraction?
What don't you like about this attraction?
Notice anything new or unusual about it lately?
Have a funny or weird story?

I have to admit I am a huge Star Wars fan. So my views of this ride may be a little biased. I totaly love this ride. The chance to actually be inside a Star Wars movie rocks. Great concept and a all around fun time. I love waiting in the line and hearing R2 and C-3po argue back and forth.

What I dont like.

THe ride really needs an update. New film is needed. But not the pod racing idea that has been kicking around. Maybe an extened tour of the Star Wars universe. Cloud City, Naboo, Courosant, Hoth, etc. Acctually flying along the surface and getting some ground scenery. With the new trilogy out in theaters now its the perfect time for a change.

"Star Tours, what are you doing here?"

GGG1

I am a huge Star Wars fan as well but I am biased the other way as I have trouble in the motion simulator rides (Body Wars is a big no-no as well). The actual lay-out of the ride complex is great and very detailed, and yes I agree that the ride does need some updates.

These threads are great, keep it up!

Disney4648

I am the worlds largest Star Wars fan! I really like star tours becuase it has the Star Wars theme with the droids and the huge spaceship in the quene line!:)

Brer Bear

One of the few rides in MGM that I'm not fond of. I'm not a huge fan of the motion simulator concept. It just doesn't do much for me.I will say that the attention to detail in the scenery that you see while waiting to board the ride is impressive.
Maybe I'm not crazy about this ride because I can't really get into the Star Wars movies.:hurl:
Call me crazy.

David

Count me in as a big Star Wars Fan, and I like the ride, too. But I have to disagree with ya Sansaarai. I think the Pod Racer would be really cool. That racing scene from Episode I was one of the highlights of the film, and I think it would make a great ride.

DisJosh

Love this attraction!!!

BUT, the simulators definately need an overhaul along w/ a new film. AND PLEASE!!! No pod racers! While the pod racers may have been the only decent part in Episode 1 they're not the right material for the ride.

I think since Episode 1, Lucas has smartened up and realized what the real Star Wars fans (including me) want. And more of Episode 1 is not what I want. So if Pod Racers were what Disney wanted I'm hoping Lucas would not be a moron and have no part of it.

In a new film I would like the Star tours vehicle to go on a planet hoping tour. Sort of along the lines of what Sanssari said. I don't really care which planets...just so long as Hoth is included!! :D Endore would be nice too...the ship could run down unsuspecting Eewoks! :lol:

:lookaroun

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Originally posted by David
Count me in as a big Star Wars Fan, and I like the ride, too. But I have to disagree with ya Sansaarai. I think the Pod Racer would be really cool. That racing scene from Episode I was one of the highlights of the film, and I think it would make a great ride.

Well I think the pod racing thing could be cool but, how could it be done? Are all the people in the simulator in the pod?

And thanks guys for all the good comments. I'll be in WDW next week so I'll have some new points of view for upcoming Attraction of the day.

David

What if they built a 2 or 3 seater pod, have surround screens, havet 3-D goggles to wear, and let you "race" against other pods in the film? Sure it would take a lot of pods since you could not get as many as you can in the present ride, but I think Disney could make it work.

DisJosh

Originally posted by David
What if they built a 2 or 3 seater pod, have surround screens, havet 3-D goggles to wear, and let you "race" against other pods in the film? Sure it would take a lot of pods since you could not get as many as you can in the present ride, but I think Disney could make it work.

That would be sweet! But better suited for Disney Quest. :)

Lance

Huge Star Wars fan..............and I have to say, I like the queue, the shop and the safety spiel better than the ride.

It needs some serious help with a new movie!

hallowboy11

HUGE Star Wars fan!! Also LOVE the queue - where else can you get a picture of an AT-AT??!! :sohappy:

However, like a lot of people have said... the ride needs some serious work. The film and motions seem to be off. There really is nothing extremely thrilling about it in the first place. If Disney and Lucas could just get together and make stuff happen!!

BTW, this could probably start a new thread... but has ANYONE heard about Star Wars Weekend??!! May 17th-19th.

DisJosh

Originally posted by hallowboy11

BTW, this could probably start a new thread... but has ANYONE heard about Star Wars Weekend??!! May 17th-19th.

Of course I've heard of it!! I've just never experienced it. :( I don't understand why they can't do this type of thing weekly. I would love to get my picture taken w/ a wookie! :D

DisneyHog6

I'm also a HUGE Star Wars fan. I have been for as long as I can remember. The themeing around Star Tours is AWESOME! I agree though, the ride could use a update. It's been a rumor for years, but still, nothing yet...oh well. At least we get to see 3P0 and R2 up close.

As for Star Wars Weekends, I went last year and had a blast. It was soooooo cool seeing all the characters walking around. I had my picture takwn with a ton of them, and a Jawa tried to steal my backpack...

:D

Bairstow

A message for Lance:
Hey man, dig the avatar.
His only line: "To Us."

The best queue ever.
An A-wing, walker, and droids.
Makes the wait fly by.

What kind of ride's this?
A motion simulator
Just like at your mall

Two hours of wait time
A bumpy ride, no leg room
Still beats real airlines

No Endor Vendors?
That's a catchy name, unlike
Tatooine Traders.

Coruscant's the one.
That should be the new planet
After the re-hab

Now Lucas has massive computer graphics capability, plus lots of pre-rendered footage from all 5 existing films, why not create LOTS of new ride programs, maybe 6 or more featuring all the various planets and events from the films? It probably wouldn't be nearly as exensive as it was to produce the original attraction film. That way, people would have reason to come back and ride over and over again, too see a different "tour". Here's a way you could organize the showing of the different flights: The queue line already splits in two when you enter the attraction building, and you could use this to ensure that everyone seems something neat. The right line could lead to simulators that always show a randomly selected attraction program. The left line would feature certain progams at certain times of the day, and when the different tour programs were being shown could be displayed on the departures/arrivals board in the queue. Let's say, for example that a pod-racing program was being played from 3-4 one day and the original movie was going to be shown from 4-5. This way, a first-timer guest would go through the attraction and just think it was part of the theming, but a real fan of the ride could use the board to see all 7 or so ride progams without having to waste time by seeing the same one twice. This would make the attraction more exciting for everone and If the tour times for the left line change every day, no one has any right to complain about getting a subpar ride, as with Temple of the Forbidden Eye, and you avoid the omnimover voting-dispute fisitcuffs of Horizons.

RogueHabit

I love this ride, it's awesome!

I once used pictures of Star Tours from my vacation to theme my Star Wars website during Star Wars weekends 2000.

may2000.jpg

I used to love the 'caged' vader and stormtrooper in the old Endor Vendors, I don't think they're still there since the revamp to tatooine Traders.

Here are some of my holiday snaps of Star Tours.

http://www.btinternet.com/~episode2uk/features/florida2000/images/atat01.jpg
http://www.btinternet.com/~episode2uk/features/florida2000/images/atat02.jpg
http://www.btinternet.com/~episode2uk/features/florida2000/images/ewokvillage1.jpg
http://www.btinternet.com/~episode2uk/features/florida2000/images/droidchairs.jpg
http://www.btinternet.com/~episode2uk/features/florida2000/images/c3po.jpg
http://www.btinternet.com/~episode2uk/features/florida2000/images/startours1.jpg
http://www.btinternet.com/~episode2uk/features/florida2000/images/boardingate1.jpg
http://www.btinternet.com/~episode2uk/features/florida2000/images/startours2.jpg

disneyfan123

star tours

hello... i love these threads. I really like the Star Tours ride in MGM, the robot is just so corny (the jokes are laughable!!) but it is a classic.

*only 71 days to go*
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom