Attraction of the Day... Haunted Mansion

no2apprentice

HM is my second favorite, and it is a very close second! Last week when we were there, a CM in Fantasyland told us about the Hidden Donald. We rode HM the next day and saw it! We thought it was so cool. I still freak my kids out when I can sing "Grim Grinning Ghosts" from memory.

fngoofy

Love the HM as well.

Last year my wife and I were down in WDW for our honeymoon. One night towards the end of our stay we were passing my HM and I suggested we ride. Her first response was “gee, we have already been on it several times this trip (probably 5), are you sure, it’s not very scary…?”

Well, the CM standing out front heard this and said that there was no waiting, so she said sure and we walked up to the door. We got to the door just as the last of the group that had been waiting was walking in, so we stopped short of the door, paused, not sure if we should wait, and the CM gestured for us to enter.

As we pass him he starts walking next to my wife, about ½ a step behind her, and lowers him self (ala Groucho Marx) so that he is eye level with her. I see this happening and keep from reacting because I know where he is going with it. We make it about 10 steps in and she looks to her left, does a double take, and then screams very loudly.

I laugh; I hear others ahead of us wondering what happened, very very funny. From that point on everything made her jump and scream. We got off the ride and I mentioned how “your right, that’s not scary at all” I still bring it up and we laugh and laugh.

The only down sides to the HM in my mind are:
-I wish they would use some smaller wire to hold up the instruments in the séance room, they look like ropes, and I know that some spider wire fishing line would work, heck they make 200lb test line that is completely invisible.

-the ballroom needs the lighting redone and the fireplace effect retooled, now it looks like green cellophane blowing in a fan (that goes for the fire effects in PoC as well, they just need to be detailed is all.)

-Oh, and the sound, can’t they get BOSE in there for a sponsorship and wire those Doombuggies for HiFi? In Scientific American recently I saw a story on a guy in England that has come up with 3D sound from just 2 speakers, to where you think a bee is buzzing around your head, and the sound is coming from a pair of normal computer speakers….sounds like a neat effect to add in the doombuggies.

All in all though, the HM is my Favorite as well. I hope that nothing changes other than basic refurb/improvements.

fngoofy

The hidden Donald in on the back support of a wing back chair, I think one that is by the endless hallway. It is an abstract design and by no means evident at first glance.

jcmayid

Originally posted by Brer Bear
Hidden Donald:lookaroun

Where in the ride is that located:confused:

If you look at the back of the chair right after long hall with the candelabras, look good, it is donald, the size of the whole back of the chair, saw it two weeks ago.:D

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Originally posted by fngoofy

-Oh, and the sound, can’t they get BOSE in there for a sponsorship and wire those Doombuggies for HiFi? In Scientific American recently I saw a story on a guy in England that has come up with 3D sound from just 2 speakers, to where you think a bee is buzzing around your head, and the sound is coming from a pair of normal computer speakers….sounds like a neat effect to add in the doombuggies.

I totaly agree. Sometimes I get a doombuggie with a very bad set of speakers. Lots of static. Sometimes they miss whole sections of the ride. Definitly needs a soundsystem upgrade.

SykedOwt

Haunted Mansion Ranks Number 3 In my Book, Almost Nothing Can Come Close to It. It's Put Together Very well and I love the music and when the narrorator Laughs. His Laugh tries so hard to be scary its hilarious.

JoeZerboy

Originally posted by GrinningGhost
For anyone who's interested in the Haunted Mansion, here's a great website dedicated to the ride:

http://www.doombuggies.com

And with thanks to Tigggrl, here's a website where you can receive your very own death certificate, and discover the history behind every single ghoul in the mansion:

http://members.aol.com/HtdMsn/gallery.html

Happy Haunting
:D

G G

Both of these sites are quite informative. The HtdMsn one especially if you want to get a feel for the creepiness factor in the backstory of the characters that not all the guests who go to this attraction may know about [I certainly didn't until I popped to the site about a couple of weeks ago...]. And that level or type of creepiness isn't found on many other Disney attractions [which having a movie supposedly called Haunted Mansion with Eddie Murphy in it takes away from that effect IMHO...it'd be much better as the Gothic horror that Walt probably intended, along a Poe kind of vein].

I first rode on the mansion when I was 4 [way back in 71 shortly after WDW-MK opened]. I don't remember much, but from what my mother used to say, I must've been freaked out of my mind. :) She would say that while on it, I was clinging to her real tight and the way I had my arms wrapped around her, the string to my Mickey balloon had coiled around her neck snugly...

Since then, it has always been a mainstay for me whenever I visit the MK. And now with the expanded histories of the "residents", it adds a new depth to the experience for me.

J...

Camelot

Of the four visits that I have made to WDW-MK, and two visits to Disneyland, the Haunted Mansion is most definately on my "must-do" list.

On my last visit to MK in December 2001, my friends and I went to MVMCP, and rode HM just before midnight.

It was probably just my imagination, but there was just something a little bit spookier about exiting the building that late, with no one else around.

Disneynutcase

I had just turned five when I went on HM for the first time and I think I liked it okay, but was still pretty spooked as we were riding because the effects are really darn good--still hold up to this day. Apparently, I was gullible back then because the last line, "and the ghosts will follow you home! Ah-ha-ha-ha!" sent me into tearful orbit. My mom insists to this day that I believed it.

So I probably now have at least fifty ghosts in my house (I've been on that about that many times).

But as far as spook factor goes (and I've posted this on "Weird Things" thread/please don't flame me for repetitiveness), I was given a very special treat on one occaision. I must've been about seven years old and was with a large group of family (and the youngest of all the cousins). Somehow we managed to go on the very last tour of HM and ended up walking out of the ride to a virtual ghost town. Not a soul was in sight anywhere!

Helping add to this spookiness were my older cousins playing up how incredibly eerie it was--just the perfect semi-spooky way to end the day at the park with something very unusual. We actually didn't see another person until we got to Main Street. A vivid memory still in my head darned near 30 years later, and still my all time favorite unexpected Disney moment (a slim lead over a chance encounter with Belle who chatted up my kids, then took them by the hand to go meet her friend, Ariel. The girls mouths were flapping a mile a minute during the whole walk. I think Belle was going on break, but what a cool little thing to do for little girls).

It's like they can't help but accidentally create magic even when it isn't scripted.

NADisney

WDW's Haunted Mansion is my all time favorite ,i try riding it as many times as possible when I visit(next trip May 22-29) .And now after visiting Disneyland for the First time this past April 6-7 2002, it makes you appreciate the attraction's detail and timing a whole lot more.

The Portrait Chamber is my favorite room.
They both have scenes of "Little Leota" ,but how you experience them is truely unique . I can't wait to see her tombstone thursday morning may 23.

I also would like Disney to create more Haunted Mansion merchandise,I just love my glow in the dark pins and t-shirts from Disneyland.

:eek:

dwldzm9

Well,

It might be my Fav. ride. I have always loved it, and feel that apart from a sorely needed audio upgrade for the doombuggies, it is in great shape.

The only thing that irritates me, and this isn't DIS' fault, is the cheap wanna-be HM's at other parks.

There is one here in Ohio at King's Island, and it is just pathetic. Fortunately you ride past a furnace scene (read : HOT AIR) and since it is in close proximity to the water rapids ride this is much appreciated. However, things such as people putting drinks and wrappers on the ride, and the "ballroom-like" scene that has plexiglass separating riders from the scene, make it seem like a crappy fair ride. I should add, I don't have a problem with the plexiglass, just the spit and chewing gum that adornes it.

Whew! Sorry about that - just thought I should warn everyone!

wdwrules

the haunted mansion is my favorite by far:D

just a little story....last feb. we took me 10 year old sister to disney for the first time. when we went on hm for the third time the park was just about to start to close up for the night. as we walked out the exit my little sister said she didnt think hm was very scary and it was kind of boring. one of the cast members at the door must have heard her and just starred at her. he then began to follow us, not saying a word just starring at my sister. he had to have followed us for at least 20 minutes. when he finally headed back to the mansion my sister was really scarred and i thought it was great. after that she said she never would say anything bad about the haunted mansion again. if you had been there it was an awesome thing to watch him just follow her not making any facial expression, no words, just a stare.it was great!

NADisney

I know what your talking about dwldzm9 , I visit kings island sometimes since it's not far from me ( I also go to columbus ,ohio every june).

Phantom Theater is the attractions name ,it replaced The Smurfs Adventure boat ride in the old Hanna Barbara themed land. I miss those good old days.

Now Nickelodeon is there, Kings Island tries to "wow" you with there coasters instead of family rides and there only competition is Ceder Point -rollercoaster capital of the world.

Nobody can compete with HM except Hollywood,and Disney might screw that one up when they make the film with Eddie Murphy( it will be like watching the Frightners starring michale j fox) .

:goodnevil

dwldzm9

NADisney -

Phantom Theater!!! Thanks - I couldn't remember the name. As for the Smurf ride it replaced, well, that was probably my favorite non-disney ride when I was younger and it was open. Along with the "rainbow" to welcome you to hanna-barbera land.

Yeah, and they TRY to compete with Cedar Point on coasters, but the only park in the world who is in the same league as CP in that arena is Six Flags Magic Mountain, which I have never been to, but have heard great things about.

None of this really matters, because when it come down to it, Disney beats them all at every single detail you can think of.

Dawn S

Up until I found the courage to do ToT, the Mansion was my absolute favorite. I think that ToT only replaced it because I am so proud to say that I finally like (& can stomach) a "thrill ride". I have always loved the detail of HM. It is just truly amazing how every little thing adds to the complete picture. I have always loved the dining room portion of the ride. It amazed me from the first moment I saw it & I still find myself gawking ridiculously through it each time. :lol:

NADisney

Six Flags is becoming a major rollercaster park ,with "X" opening this year at Magic Mountain it shoul make it's summer $$$$ ( I just wish that Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom would do something great, like move its park to the countryside of Louisville.It's a nice little park that needs to grow ,but can't due to the Kentucky Convention/Fair Grounds and Churchille Downs and UoL campus.

As for the Haunted Mansion ,I also love the dining room scene and the Hitchicking Ghosts in the mirrors.ToT has advance technoligy by making the ghosts come to life in the elevator corridor which is really cool.

:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom