Attack on America, will it change the American Adventure (in Epcot)?

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by minnie85
Do you guys think that they will add all this to the show the AA?

That's a good question..... but what he have witnessed last week was history. So I wouldn't be surprised to see something put in... after all is said an done (perhaps after the towers are rebuilt). For the next 6 months to a year is too early to put anything in...IMO.

FutureCEO

Re: Re: Attack on America, will it change the American Adventure (in Epcot)?

Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer

towers are rebuilt

the mayor and governor wants the skyline to be rebuilt and so does President Bush

WDW-Imagineer

Re: Re: Re: Attack on America, will it change the American Adventure (in Epcot)?

Originally posted by wdw24557

the mayor and governor wants the skyline to be rebuilt and so does President Bush

I know....I'm just saying that after they are rebuilt, I think then it would be an appropriate time to include something in AA.

Herbie53

Premium Member
I'm sure this disaster will be included in the American Adventure eventually, but not until we understand the full ramifications. At this point we don't know if this will launch us into another Vietnam, another Great Depression, World War III, or a golden age of world peace. It's way too soon to rewrite the history books.

Listening to Bush's address to congress, I noticed the frequency of the use of the word TERROR. It makes me wonder if there will be any pressure on Disney to drop the "Tower of Terror" name. I'm sure I don't have to mention the parallel. I hope this is not the case, but Disney has had flimsier demands leveled against them.

(I've been absent from the boards for awhile, hopefully I haven't repeated anything!)

Tramp

Originally posted by Herbie53
I'm sure this disaster will be included in the American Adventure eventually, but not until we understand the full ramifications.
It makes me wonder if there will be any pressure on Disney to drop the "Tower of Terror" name. I'm sure I don't have to mention the parallel. I hope this is not the case, but Disney has had flimsier demands leveled against them.

(I've been absent from the boards for awhile, hopefully I haven't repeated anything!)

Hiya Herbie....

You're correct of course.....History has to be made before you can include it in the history books...it will take years before we know how historians look at the effects of these events.

I can't see Disney changing the ToT name...it's totally impractical and unnecessary to attempt to alleviate every aspect in our lives that somehow reminds us of a tragedy.

mightyduck

Originally posted by Tramp

Hiya Herbie....

You're correct of course.....History has to be made before you can include it in the history books...it will take years before we know how historians look at the effects of these events.

I can't see Disney changing the ToT name...it's totally impractical and unnecessary to attempt to alleviate every aspect in our lives that somehow reminds us of a tragedy.

I agree, Tramp. I think it would be appropriate, however, to add something in remembrance of the lives lost sooner, however...

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by mightyduck

I agree, Tramp. I think it would be appropriate, however, to add something in remembrance of the lives lost sooner, however...

Forgive me for sounding cynical... but I don't see why Disney would need to immediately put up a memorial or something to that effect. Disney was not physically affected, and therefore I believe a memorial at the WTC & Pentagon should show up before anything at Disney. I in no way mean to say that their shouldn't be anything... I just don't see it as an immediate priority AT WDW.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
You know..i'm getting sick of so many people trying to remove anything negative from our lives. Someone thinks we should remove the word "terror" from a ride? Others want to remove a list of classic rock songs from the radio? I don't care what happens to us...we can't just try and remove a song that happens to hit home a little harder now. We also can't go running from every negative feeling we have. It's time for us to stop turning on each other about little things and turn our attention to where it should be.

mightyduck

Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer

Forgive me for sounding cynical... but I don't see why Disney would need to immediately put up a memorial or something to that effect. Disney was not physically affected, and therefore I believe a memorial at the WTC & Pentagon should show up before anything at Disney. I in no way mean to say that their shouldn't be anything... I just don't see it as an immediate priority AT WDW.

I think the images of the WTC and the Pentagon should be included in the montage at the end...

Mattore

Not to take the opposite side of most people... but I do not think that American Adventure will include anything from these events. Disney tries to focus on the positive, and most people enjoying there vacations years from now may not want to be reminded of horrible events that have occurred. (Some people may like it as a tribute, but many others would rather see the positive). There have been many great tragedies in our nation, and in the world, yet you see very little of them in any of World Showcase. (Yes, there are some examples, but not too many). So I just don't think it would happen. It may, of course, but I actually hope it doesn't. Just my opinion. :)

Herbie53

Premium Member
Originally posted by Mattore
Not to take the opposite side of most people... but I do not think that American Adventure will include anything from these events. Disney tries to focus on the positive, and most people enjoying there vacations years from now may not want to be reminded of horrible events that have occurred. (Some people may like it as a tribute, but many others would rather see the positive). There have been many great tragedies in our nation, and in the world, yet you see very little of them in any of World Showcase. (Yes, there are some examples, but not too many). So I just don't think it would happen. It may, of course, but I actually hope it doesn't. Just my opinion. :)

So far the American Adventure hasn't held back in depicting America's darkest moments.

WDW-Imagineer

So far the American Adventure hasn't held back in depicting America's darkest moments.

I agree... You may not realize it now, but this is a major, major historical event... and what may happen in the future may prove to be the biggest stuggle/war in world history.

Beauty and the

I'm with Mattore on this one, if every country in World Showcase portrayed significant horrific events that had happened to their country over the years World Showcase would be a Horrendous place to visit. I believe that monuments should be erected and people honoured, however to quickly change things at Disney when the so much of the world is mourning for all the persons lost would be inappropriate these things must be addressed correctly with no hastey descions made.

Herbie53

Premium Member
Originally posted by Beauty and the
I'm with Mattore on this one, if every country in World Showcase portrayed significant horrific events that had happened to their country over the years World Showcase would be a Horrendous place to visit. I believe that monuments should be erected and people honoured, however to quickly change things at Disney when the so much of the world is mourning for all the persons lost would be inappropriate these things must be addressed correctly with no hastey descions made.

But is that to say that there should never be any mention of it at all? They talk about the civil war, slavery, forcing Native Americans off their land, Pearl Harbor (which we compare the terror attack to often), the challenger explosion, and the Great Depression, why not this? The emphasis won't be on the horror of it, but how we are rising above it, and how it is making us all better Americans. I think in years to come, the images associated with this event will have more patriotic significance for us than the images of the moon landing. Of course it can't be done hastily. We have to wait to see how things develop, but it has to go in there, for completeness if nothing else. We can't gloss over it!

mightyduck

I'm with Herbie here... I don't think it needs to be a big focal point or it needs a giant monument...but they update the montage at the end of the presentation from time to time, and since it has sparked a greater display and feeling of patriotism than we have seen in some time, I think it would not only be the right thing to do to honor those whose lives were lost but it would also fit with the spirit of the presentation...

Beauty and the

But what about the other countries in world showcase, should they nor portray significant events in their history? Are we to conclude that the other countries are only there as a side show to The American Adventure.:confused:

The Mom

Premium Member

But is that to say that there should never be any mention of it at all? They talk about the civil war, slavery, forcing Native Americans off their land, Pearl Harbor (which we compare the terror attack to often), the challenger explosion, and the Great Depression, why not this? The emphasis won't be on the horror of it, but how we are rising above it, and how it is making us all better Americans. I think in years to come, the images associated with this event will have more patriotic significance for us than the images of the moon landing. Of course it can't be done hastily. We have to wait to see how things develop, but it has to go in there, for completeness if nothing else. We can't gloss over it!

I agree with your earlier posts...something should probably be added at a later date, but not until we know exactly how this tragedy is going to change our history...right now we're only speculating.

This tragedy is certainly the worst thing to happen to our country in my lifetime...I only pray that it will be the worst thing ever, but mankind has an infinite capacity for evil. :(

Tink

Originally posted by Beauty and the
But what about the other countries in world showcase, should they nor portray significant events in their history? Are we to conclude that the other countries are only there as a side show to The American Adventure.:confused:

The nature of The American Adventure's presentation is a highlight of historical events. Like Mighty said, I can totally see Disney adding to this presentation's montage at the end - perhaps the scene with the rescue workers raising the flag at ground zero.

I don't think the other countries in the World Showcase are viewed as sideshows to the American Adventure. The presentations for the other countries are not focused on history but rather on their unique cultures, landmarks and landscapes. I am sure that when Disney developed the World Showcase each country featured had a hand in deciding what would be presented and what wouldn't be. America went the history route while the other countries chose a different focus. I think it is as simple as that.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom