At What Age Does Disney World Lose It's Appeal To Children?

JBAAR Family

My husband and I are planning a trip to Disney for our family. We are having a hard time deciding when it's a good time to go. I was thinking when our children are 5, 7, and 11. Will my 11 year old daughter still enjoy the trip at that age? If we do it earlier, will the youngest remember the trip? I think with him being 5, we'll get more enjoyment out of it because we wont be heading back to the hotel for naps in the middle of the day.

SweetPea

Both of my kids' first trips was when they were about 2. I know...I know...there are going to be those people who say that's too young because they will never remember it. To that, I say...so what!!!! They may not remember it, but there is nothing like seeing your 2 year old daughter completely enthralled while watching the Princesses dance on the Castle forecourt stage. I wouldn't trade the memories of my kids' first trips for ANYTHING, even if they don't remember it. Seeing Disney for yourself is one thing, but seeing Disney through the eyes of your kids is completely different.

That being said...my oldest is 11 now and keeps asking when the next trip is. My husband and I still take trips there without the kids every couple of years. As most others have said, you're never too old or young. There's just no way to really know how your kids will react until you get there.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Hmm.The million $$$$$ question.Imagine this story..Mother ( 38 ) says to her son ( 6 ) " Hey! We're off to Disney World,Florida,for our holidays."...Son says Whoopee!..Father ( 52 ) says " Whit! You can't be serious."...5 Trips later,and 9 years later..Father says to his son, " Hey! We're off to Disney World,Florida, for our holidays in 2015..Son says " Whit! You can't be serious dad."...I call it the circle of life..We're just older children,that's all.;)

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
There is no answer to this question. It's all up to the family and the individual(s).
To me as much as I love the rides and everything (everyone here) loves about WDW at the end of the day
it's about enjoying those awesome things with my family.

I loved WDW since my Dad and mom first took me there at 6 years old. My love for the place has never waned. Partly because the memory and nostalgia for the place is tied to my Dad and Mom.

My son (13) and daughter (17) both still LOOOOVE the place and can't wait to go every year.

I'm not exactly positive what the formula is, but in my feeble little hopeful mind I like to think it's because they enjoy all the memories we had as a family there together and they'll want to hold onto and appreciate that feeling like I did\ do.

The fact of the matter is it's probably a little bit of that and a whole lotta of dumb luck that they haven't eventually grown out of it.

Upvote 0

boilerpicc

I started going with my parents when I was around 2. I can remember the trips starting when I was about 5. This year I will be taking my daughter on her second trip (she will be 15 months old). Because I have grown up with it, I don't think you are ever too young or too old. That being said, there was definitely a period in my teens where I was too cool for the kiddie stuff. All the characters were lame, but the roller coasters and water parks were still cool. For your younger 2 kids, the age is perfect. Your 5 year old will definitely remember at least pieces of the vacation, and your 7 year old should solidly remember it. Your 11 year old might be on the edge of being too cool for some things, but will probably really enjoy some of the bigger rides and Epcot as well. I remember loving the World Showcase at that age and getting to talk to all of the employees from different countries.

People always ask me why I keep going back to WDW for vacation. The answer is cheesy, but I always tell them it is because of the memories and the magic. We have never found any place else that can match it. Regardless of what age you are, there is always something special about abandoning reality and stepping into the fairy tale world. I have been incredibly fortunate to be able to experience it through my whole life, and now I get to watch my daughter experience it as well. Even though she won't remember it yet, I will. Your children will all have at least some great memories of your trip, and you will have incredible ones of watching their faces. I hope you have a great time!

Upvote 0

boilerpicc

There is no answer to this question. It's all up to the family and the individual(s).
To me as much as I love the rides and everything (everyone here) loves about WDW at the end of the day
it's about enjoying those awesome things with my family.

I loved WDW since my Dad and mom first took me there at 6 years old. My love for the place has never waned. Partly because the memory and nostalgia for the place is tied to my Dad and Mom.

My son (13) and daughter (17) both still LOOOOVE the place and can't wait to go every year.

I'm not exactly positive what the formula is, but in my feeble little hopeful mind I like to think it's because they enjoy all the memories we had as a family there together and they'll want to hold onto and appreciate that feeling like I did\ do.

The fact of the matter is it's probably a little bit of that and a whole lotta of dumb luck that they haven't eventually grown out of it.

I think you are right on this one. My memories of WDW and my family are absolutely linked. I have even been a couple of times without them, and it just isn't the same. Now I want to share all of that with my daughter as she grows up. I just hope she as into it as we are. I hope I didn't create a Universal Studios fan! ;)

Upvote 0

vigliottec

The first time i went was when i was 13(well i went when i was 3 but i don't remember it) i remember being so disappointed about going to "stupid Disney World" i complained the whole way there. by the time we got to the hotel (not even into a park yet) i knew how wrong i was. Disney world is by far the best place on earth and if i could id just live there. i'm now 27 and i've gone just about every other year.

Upvote 0

Epcot-Rules

I have 3 boys, 14, 17, and 19. we typically go 3 time a year. My 19 year old missed the last 2 trips because he was burnt out on Disney, my 17 year old still likes to go, but would rather go to Uni and Busch Gardens because of the roller coasters. My 14 year old likes Disney, but likes Busch Gardens better.

Now I'm the Disney nut in my house @ 42 years old on Wednesday!

Upvote 0

vigliottec

I have 3 boys, 14, 17, and 19. we typically go 3 time a year. My 19 year old missed the last 2 trips because he was burnt out on Disney, my 17 year old still likes to go, but would rather go to Uni and Busch Gardens because of the roller coasters. My 14 year old likes Disney, but likes Busch Gardens better.

Now I'm the Disney nut in my house @ 42 years old on Wednesday!

i would like to spend a day at universal while im down there but i always feel like im taking away from disney

Upvote 0

nc_disneyfreak

Your 11 year old daughter is reaching an age where she could still be very child-like, or be a pre-teen who wants to be treated as though she's 21. Having not met her, I obviously can not discern. I can tell you from personal experience that yes, an 11 year old girl can enjoy going to WDW and have a good time with her family. My daughter is in her early twenties, and still enjoys going with us, although we began brainwashing her at about 3. If you have a good family dynamic, my assumption is that all of you, from youngest to oldest, will enjoy the trip.
well said....and im a yankee fan lol :eek:

Upvote 0

G8rchamps

People always ask me why I keep going back to WDW for vacation. The answer is cheesy, but I always tell them it is because of the memories and the magic. We have never found any place else that can match it. Regardless of what age you are, there is always something special about abandoning reality and stepping into the fairy tale world. I have been incredibly fortunate to be able to experience it through my whole life, and now I get to watch my daughter experience it as well. Even though she won't remember it yet, I will. Your children will all have at least some great memories of your trip, and you will have incredible ones of watching their faces. I hope you have a great time!

Couldn't agree more. I went as a kid, went on my own in college, with my DW before kids. Every time frame is magic for different reasons. We were the "every other year family" untill this trip. DS was 8.5 and DD was a week from being 6. She remembered being there when she was 4, but there were signigicant gaps in her memory. DS remembered stuff from when he was 6 I had forgotten. We are going to go a lot more often.

Oh and no age is too old.

Upvote 0

nc_disneyfreak

lots of good responses and I pretty much agree with all lol...my stepsons first trip was at 3 and loved it (duh) then at age 5 and again next april hell be 7 so we have alooong time with him....my daughter went last yr with us at age 1 and a half and loved it ( duh again)....shell be 3 next trip...I think if you keep it fun and as they get older adjust it to there age...like when there teens let them go off for a few hrs etc....keep it fresh each time and it should carry over into their 20s. They will remember being kids at WDW with their parents and hopefully get nostalgic, and keep the tradition alive, even with their own kids...and grandparents lol...im 32 and if I had it my way, I would go every couple months!

Upvote 0

Lisalyn

55 here...uhm hasn't lost its appeal and never will I'm quite sure. My now 15 yr old daughter went 3 years in a row, had a dry spell for 1 year, went with her school the next year and this year requested to go with me so obviously the appeal came back! She was 13'ish when the dry spell hit. She told me, "Mom we've been 3 years in a row. It's old." I of course was like WTW!?!?!?! and huh?!?!?! Old? ha ha ha ...THAT was the year I took a solo trip :D

My point being...you may see a "dry spell" but that good ole' Disney "appeal" always seems to come back.;)

Upvote 0

smk

My husband and I are planning a trip to Disney for our family. We are having a hard time deciding when it's a good time to go. I was thinking when our children are 5, 7, and 11. Will my 11 year old daughter still enjoy the trip at that age? If we do it earlier, will the youngest remember the trip? I think with him being 5, we'll get more enjoyment out of it because we wont be heading back to the hotel for naps in the middle of the day.
We did not even take our kids until they were 11, 9 and 7 and they had a blast. In fact, IF we even talk about a trip back those "kids" now 30, 28 and 26 have a cow, trying to get us to take them. Each and everyone of my kids still think of WDW as a great vacation spot. We have gone back countless times, some with them, some without them but we never tire of the place either.

Upvote 0

PUSH

Also, most people on these boards are going to tell you that it will never lose its appeal. And while that may be true for them, it's not true for everyone. Not everyone loves Disney the way a lot of us do. It's just not their thing. A child may grow up to be a Disney fanatic, but they might also grow up to not care for it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom