As of today (Jan 7th): No more paint brush hunt on Tom Sawyer's Island

IowaHawks7

My family did this in February of 2011. There are 6 of us. We found three brushes the cast members gave us six fast passes to BTMR. They also let us re hide the other two we found. Sorry to see they stopped it

RSoxNo1

So at most they would give out 50 Fastpasses on any given day between Thunder and Splash and they're cutting this for 5 months because Splash can't handle the grunt of that? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. During 2 of the 5 months, Splash Fastpasses will be 40 minutes out, distributing the 50 Fastpasses all at Splash is a total non-issue.

The excuse may be valid, but it doesn't mean it makes any sense whatsoever.

backinaction

So at most they would give out 50 Fastpasses on any given day between Thunder and Splash and they're cutting this for 5 months because Splash can't handle the grunt of that? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. During 2 of the 5 months, Splash Fastpasses will be 40 minutes out, distributing the 50 Fastpasses all at Splash is a total non-issue.

The excuse may be valid, but it doesn't mean it makes any sense whatsoever.
100 percent right. that explanation makes no sense at all.

Scuttle

Agreed. Makes no sense at all. Splash can handle it, and if need be, add a substitute for BTMRR. No brainer.:shrug:

It doesn't really make sense at all. Maybe they figured with the cold weather the next couple months no one would really want Splash FP's. Either way I am just happy she assured me that they would continue doing it once Thunder opens.

MKCP 1985

This is a pretty innocuous contest with limited payout. They could change the prize to a pin, a spot in the afternoon parade, a turkey leg ,,,

In other news a really cool scavenger hunt with payoff for all contestants started today. Sorcery of the Magic Kingdom

Monorail Lime

This is a pretty innocuous contest with limited payout. They could change the prize to a pin, a spot in the afternoon parade, a turkey leg ,,,
Unfortunately many guests get greedy when it comes to "freebies". The contest would quickly get out of hand if the prize had any real value.

MKCP 1985

Unfortunately many guests get greedy when it comes to "freebies". The contest would quickly get out of hand if the prize had any real value.

Pins?
Turkey Lega?
:lol:
Okay, maybe the afternoon parade is a stretch. Still, go play Sorcers of the Magic Kingdom until the paint brushes return if you need a good scavenger hunt game to play.

I never heard of the "hiding of the brushes", but I thought I read (in a Steve Birnbaum book) years and years ago that kids used to actually paint (whitewash) the fences? Is that correct or am I imagining this?

But now that I know this, I'll definitely take my daughter over there... like I said, I have never heard of this! Cool!

Judy :)

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Agreed. Makes no sense at all. Splash can handle it, and if need be, add a substitute for BTMRR. No brainer.:shrug:

Heck, make it the courtesy "front of the line" passes that guest services hands out.

People can use them on Space, HM, Pirates, Dumbo, Peter Pan. Not EVERY guest will use them on the same ride. Even if they do, what is a 3 minute loss on Pan?? Nothing.

MissMorrow

Really? So is this just about not spending the money to print new little slips of paper that list another attraction for the 6 months BTMRR is down then? :shrug: :rolleyes:

koryadams

I learned about this hunt right after i was at WDW in May 2011 and couldn't wait to do it this april...well Now I will have to wait until December! They could have had the fast pass for Splash Mountain instead, or something else...oh well. I hope it comes back!

The Empress Lilly

It makes some sort of, very limited, sense that they would want to remove all free fastpasses for Splash while Thunder is down. There will be enough pressure on Splash as is.

Then again, but I don't make a seven figure salary, if Thunder is down I would increase the pull of TSI by making it more attractive to visit it. Instead of less attractive. Spread the guests out a bit in Frontierland. Re-open Aunt Polly or something, perhaps add some little entertainment. Hide more paintbrushes, not less. Which give fastpasses for Jungle Cruise or some such.

This is really sad, but I am not surprised. When I went in May we were trying to find one first thing and the CM said that they only had 2 left out of the last 10 they had gotten because people take them home.
If anything is declining by degrees at Disney, it is the guests. :)

Why return a paintbrush, that others may play the game too, when you can keep it as a free souvenir?

The Empress Lilly

For the sake of interest, a quick link to Mark Twain's paintbrushes. Why paintbrushes are relevant to Tom Sawyer Island. Classic Americana, which adds a layer of culture and tradition that elevates Disney above a soulless 'franchise and synergy' park.

Tom Sawyer, paintbrushes, whitewashed fences, Aunt Polly's, steamships floating by on the river: http://ensign.ftlcomm.com/people/TomNhuck/ted.html

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom