As of July 27th, no outbreaks have been associated with the parks. Surprise?

Are you surprised there hasn’t been small outbreaks linked to parks?

• Surprised

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Kinda? Ehh?

Votes: 16 11.8%
  • Not surprised

Votes: 104 76.5%
  • Haven’t decided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t think it’s possible to trace cases to parks

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

Moka

Original Poster
Oh, please. I'm not surprised, kinda? ehh? or not surprised. Personally, I haven't had enough time yet for any of those reactions. My concerns are not for Disney.
Just because you haven’t hadn’t enough time doesn’t mean others haven’t and it makes it bias. I mean, if you were looking for a “I haven’t decided” option then fine, I forgot to add that. But it wasn’t because I intentionally was trying to make it bias.

Also this thread doesn’t only talk about Disney parks. I mentioned Universal and the theme parks in general. It INCLUDES Disney but isn’t the only thing I’m referring to. So it isn’t saying are you surprised something has happened within two weeks. This is stretching all the way to the beginning of June, nearly 2 months now.

Goofyernmost

Let's look at this in a reality based way. If you have traveled to WDW during this Pandemic you have crossed that path of many people. You have had to use public restrooms and acquired food from people you have never seen in your life. You may have flown in a enclosed germ tube from home to Orlando and either taken public transportation or rented a car that you have no idea who had it last or if it was cleaned efficiently by some minimum wage teenager before you got it. AND YOU HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN INSIDE WDW YET! Now you spend time in the parks touching things handled by hundreds of people since it was last sanitized, ridden attractions that are continuously moving with no time for sanitation. Eaten food handled by any number of people that might not even know they are infected. Then you leave and repeat the same process in return that you did to get there. Then two weeks later you start to cough and you have been to the grocery stores, the doctors office, walking the dog while meeting others and now you expect to know where you got it from? No test is available that will tell you that at precisely 2:23 PM you became exposed to it while riding Dumbo.

So the answer is NO, I am not surprised. I'm not surprised because you have been everywhere during that time period and it is impossible to BLAME it on WDW or any of the hundreds of things you have handled and places you have been.

Last edited:

Kimi0427

Surprise or no surprise? Orange County had a COVID-19 update this evening, and the question was brought up if any small outbreaks had been directly related to Walt Disney World or Universal Orlando Resort. The answer was no, however, there has been individual cases (which is inevitable).

Now the question I’m asking is: Are you surprised that there hasn’t been any small outbreak linked to the parks? Walt Disney World has been open not for very long, but still enough time for some reports to come in. Universal Orlando has been open for well over a month. (Just keeping it together with Disney.)

and depending on your choice, should we expect outbreaks from the parks, or individual cases only? It all depends on if you think what the parks are doing will work.
I know cast members that have since got it since returning back to work, so that statement is false

NelleBelle

I know cast members that have since got it since returning back to work, so that statement is false
Just playing devil's advocate, how do you (or the CMs) know for certain that they contracted COVID at the parks and not out at the grocery store/gas station/friend/relative...basically somewhere outside the disney bubble. Given the huge numbers of COVID occurring all over FL, especially with numbers on the rise in Orange County...just asking how they know for sure where they contracted it? It's just like @Goofyernmost mentioned in the post above, it's difficult to blame it on disney or all the other places you've been? Btw, totally sucks for the CMs or anyone your know to have contracted COVID and hope they get better and do not have a severe case of it!!

Vivecka

Employees would be applied in an outbreak tally so if there have been none associated with that, I don't expect to see outbreaks among guests. I pray that masks work because it's the way through this terrible situation without wasting away mentally.

MickeyLuv'r

As a local who has now been to the parks quite a bit since they reopened, I’ll take this crowd level any day even if I had to walk around with a plastic bag on my head as opposed to wall to wall guests. There’s definitely nothing depressing about it.

I dunno... I went once before when crowds were too low. Very heavy crowds can be a bit tricky, but generally I'm able to navigate and have fun. Lighter crowds can be great, but only to a point. I used to love the $10 e-ticket nights, but those were SUPPOSED to be low crowds.

Very empty theme parks, when they should be full is another matter. At some point, an empty theme park is just... creepy. It just feels all wrong.

It is sort of like...going to a grocery store in April of 2020. Entire swaths of the store were empty: no pasta, no paper towels, no frozen pizza, except there would be like 20 boxes of ONE specific kind of frozen pizza...and maybe it would look decent enough, but I would still think to myself, "Why is this here? Did the store just get this in, or do other shoppers know something I don't know? Surely there's a reason nobody else is buying this item."

Storm

I see you added a new option , but even as it is , its still biased. There should be an option "Even if there was , no one would know about it because it wouldnt be publicised" or "Even if there was , it couldnt be tracked down" both of these options just prove that this poll is extremely biased and pointless because it basically points you towards "yes i'm surprised" or "yes i'm kind of surprised" to "i dont know"

Gringrinngghost

Just to throw out here. Contact tracing is a laughable joke down here. Secondly, if you are found to be positive, it’s optional to tell them where you work, so there isn’t any proper disclosure, and the parks aren’t required to inform the county either.

bdearl41

Just to throw out here. Contact tracing is a laughable joke down here. Secondly, if you are found to be positive, it’s optional to tell them where you work, so there isn’t any proper disclosure, and the parks aren’t required to inform the county either.
Required disclosure is technically against HIPPA and EOE protocol.

mickeymiss

How do you do contact tracing when nobody at Disney would qualify as a close contact? The criteria is at least 15 minutes within 6 feet. Add mandatory masks and very few health departments would pursue tracing. That doesn't reflect badly on Disney as they are already doing more than enough for safety IMO.

EdnaMode

Disney has implemented and is enforcing policies that are rooted in public health strategies that are known to work for mitigating this type of illness. So I'm not surprised there hasn't been an outbreak.

If everyone used masks, distance and hygiene equally vigilantly everywhere, it would be equally not-surprising to see the spread of this illness reduced to almost nothing. I hope people will see that these strategies do work and then will find the resources within themselves to just do it.

Gringrinngghost

Required disclosure is technically against HIPPA and EOE protocol.
What I meant by my comment of them not being required to report cases, is that they don’t need to say how many cases they have among their workforce. Something that doesn’t violate an persons HIPPA nor would it remotely violate Equal Opportunity Employment.

Moka

Original Poster
Updated polls for the final time for those who are set on it’s not possible to trace.

lentesta

Premium Member
I got a COVID test on Tuesday because I've spent a lot of time in the parks. It came back negative.

The interesting thing to me was how many times I was asked whether I really wanted a test, because I had no symptoms or confirmed contact with someone infected. Three different times I was asked to explain why I wanted to be tested. Each time, too, I was told that without symptoms or contact, I'd probably have to pay for the test out-of-pocket ($125).

Everyone who asked, also accepted "For my job, I spend a lot of time in theme parks" as an answer, so that was good. And so was the negative test.

bdearl41

What I meant by my comment of them not being required to report cases, is that they don’t need to say how many cases they have among their workforce. Something that doesn’t violate an persons HIPPA nor would it remotely violate Equal Opportunity Employment.
I mean technically having to tell your workplace is a violation. Should you tell yes. But it’s technically illegal currently to be forced to. Telling is the moral and ethical thing to do. Similarly the business cannot be forced either for the same reason. My business is the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom