As of July 27th, no outbreaks have been associated with the parks. Surprise?

Are you surprised there hasn’t been small outbreaks linked to parks?

• Surprised

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Kinda? Ehh?

Votes: 16 11.8%
  • Not surprised

Votes: 104 76.5%
  • Haven’t decided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t think it’s possible to trace cases to parks

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

thomas998

As of Friday, I will have been at WDW for 15 days. I have visited the theme parks multiple times (except EPCOT once), stayed at two resorts (Jambo and Poly), went to Disney Springs once (too busy and too many people not following the distancing and/or mask rules), and multiple Publixes (in Celebration, Kissimmee, and Windmere), restaurants (to go only), and one Walmart (too packed).

I am going back to Ohio on Friday, which is apparently having elevated cases now. I am more worried about going back home than staying at Disney at this point.
Go have an antibodies test done on yourself. You may find that you've already had the virus but just never had symptoms. Even as far back as late April random testing in the state of Indiana showed 2.8% of the population in that state had already gotten the virus by that point. Indiana is far from New York so if it was already infecting about 3 percent of the people at that point then it is probably much more wide spread by now and Ohio with more a population density about 50% higher than Indiana has probably been ahead in infections.

Lilofan

As of Friday, I will have been at WDW for 15 days. I have visited the theme parks multiple times (except EPCOT once), stayed at two resorts (Jambo and Poly), went to Disney Springs once (too busy and too many people not following the distancing and/or mask rules), and multiple Publixes (in Celebration, Kissimmee, and Windmere), restaurants (to go only), and one Walmart (too packed).

I am going back to Ohio on Friday, which is apparently having elevated cases now. I am more worried about going back home than staying at Disney at this point.
You are certainly brave to visit all those public places in two weeks. Keep safe and be well.

thomas998

Currently we know a cast member who is quarantining because she was exposed to the virus when she went to dinner with a friend who tested positive. She worked at Disney with guests and CM several days before being informed of the exposure. The chance of exposure is there. If it wasn't a risk with the current precautionary measures in place Disney wouldn't have signs everywhere that inform people they are at risk of contracting the virus by entering their park.

As others have stated, not hearing reports does not mean it isn't happening/hasn't happened/won't happen. It will take a major outbreak among those who stay for a significant period of time on Disney property to prove that the outbreak happened at WDW. With many guests coming for just a few days and in such small numbers it's unlikely that such a smoking gun will exist to prove an outbreak with WDW being the source.
That's why the only chance of showing Disney as a source of an outbreak will be from the CM's that get sick not the visitors. No one is going to be tracking visitors from across the country.... but if a big cluster of people in Orlando get sick and they all happened to work at Disney or Universal then it would indicate that opening amusement parks isn't a good thing if you are trying to slow down the spread of the virus. Of course given the importance of Universal and Disney to the Orlando economy I doubt any report saying that would ever see the light of day nor would anyone in any local agency dare to publicize such information for fear of losing their job.

Chef Mickey

Okay, that's cool. Like I said, I appreciate you doing this because there does have to be a testing ground so that we can get back to normal. I'd say the same thing if Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park opened up.

Whenever the parks get back to normal and there aren't restrictions I am there! However, it isn't as if the parks will be jam packed. There are people who will NEVER get over this stuff psychologically. Stuff they didn't even think about until March, they'll NEVER mentally get over things and I think because of that it will be a long time before we see packed crowds again. So if I can go in 2021 when things are normal again I foresee moderate crowds even at the busiest of times, and that would be fine with me.
You are dreaming if you don’t think the parks will be jam packed again. First of all, the fear has already waned significantly because of the low death rate and people getting more used to the idea of a new virus. Second, people are wearing masks and having success with the reopen. Last, when a vaccine is released, people will totally forget about this and resume their normal activities, probably even more so with the pent up demand.

Chef Mickey

Currently we know a cast member who is quarantining because she was exposed to the virus when she went to dinner with a friend who tested positive. She worked at Disney with guests and CM several days before being informed of the exposure. The chance of exposure is there. If it wasn't a risk with the current precautionary measures in place Disney wouldn't have signs everywhere that inform people they are at risk of contracting the virus by entering their park.

As others have stated, not hearing reports does not mean it isn't happening/hasn't happened/won't happen. It will take a major outbreak among those who stay for a significant period of time on Disney property to prove that the outbreak happened at WDW. With many guests coming for just a few days and in such small numbers it's unlikely that such a smoking gun will exist to prove an outbreak with WDW being the source.
Testing positive has such an overrated connotation, it’s ridiculous. You test positive, you are going to be fine and probably won’t even have major symptoms. This is why people aren’t staying home anymore and are choosing to “risk” it like we do with many other things, including other viruses.

Disstevefan1

Not surprised.

Greatly reduced crowds, all the rules of sanitation, masks, distance are being followed by 99.9 percent of the folks there.

If all these rules will not work there, then all these rules are fake and useless.

Hcalvert

Go have an antibodies test done on yourself. You may find that you've already had the virus but just never had symptoms. Even as far back as late April random testing in the state of Indiana showed 2.8% of the population in that state had already gotten the virus by that point. Indiana is far from New York so if it was already infecting about 3 percent of the people at that point then it is probably much more wide spread by now and Ohio with more a population density about 50% higher than Indiana has probably been ahead in infections.
I am set to donate blood in about three weeks after I return. They will do antibody testing then.

Hcalvert

Not sure if I should wish you luck in finding you never had it or that you had it but never knew.
I visited Disney in late-January and I am a teacher, so I am fairly certain I have been exposed to it. Also, I was really sick (high fever, loss of smell and voice, chills, and extreme fatigue) in early November through late December after going on a DC trip with students and tested negative for the flu, so I could have possibly had it then if Covid was circulating that early.

DisFanMark

They ask them, but of course some may not even tell the truth. So yeah, there is no efficient way to trace anything back to the parks, whether it be an outbreak or an individual case.
There is no contact tracing with the testing done in Florida. Testers only know if info is voluntarily offered.

Parker in NYC

Oh, please. I'm not surprised, kinda? ehh? or not surprised. Personally, I haven't had enough time yet for any of those reactions. My concerns are not for Disney. If the country followed their lead, we'd be in a much better place. Imagine setting and following rules! If anything turns up, I doubt that spread will originate at Disney. Try everything else involved in travel. Also, I'm pretty sure the majority of guests are local.

As soon as travel restrictions lift and hotel occupancy goes up, I just can't say one way or another how to assess. Do I think Disney should have reopened? No. Do I think they're the gold standard right now in health and enforcement? ABSOLUTELY. But thankfully, people like me who are concerned with travel TO Disney are still reticent. Aside from the diehards on the boards here, that is.

NelleBelle

It doesn't sound like "locals" are able to score park reservations unless they are staying onsite. I guess one still is a FL local even if they're not from the Orlando/Tampa area and still come spend a few nights in the resorts. But as for the true "locals" with the APs, from what I've read, they've not been able to gain reservations very easily.

Parker in NYC

It doesn't sound like "locals" are able to score park reservations unless they are staying onsite. I guess one still is a FL local even if they're not from the Orlando/Tampa area and still come spend a few nights in the resorts. But as for the true "locals" with the APs, from what I've read, they've not been able to gain reservations very easily.

True but with that in mind, hotel occupancy is still bupkis. AP reservation dates are going to open up. They have to or there won't be an audience.

NelleBelle

True but with that in mind, hotel occupancy is still bupkis. AP reservation dates are going to open up. They have to or there won't be an audience.
Totally agree when they have other "reservations" WIDE OPEN!! Are you able to buy tickets for current stays/new reservations in the next few months? I know we could when we booked for next June, but if we wanted a quick stay in August, would that be even "feasible" (not that we're looking to do that, just slightly curious what the heck disney's doing)!?

BASS

I think the chances of hearing about an outbreak from guests is likely small. It'll be hard to pinpoint that. I think the greater concern is an outbreak among staff. For example, several employees of a particular ride or restaurant. That's what is more likely to make news because if 2+ people test positive at, say, Peter Pan, there will be some concern among guests that frequented the ride during the time period in question.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom