As of July 27th, no outbreaks have been associated with the parks. Surprise?

Are you surprised there hasn’t been small outbreaks linked to parks?

• Surprised

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Kinda? Ehh?

Votes: 16 11.8%
  • Not surprised

Votes: 104 76.5%
  • Haven’t decided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t think it’s possible to trace cases to parks

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

thomas998

Actually the enclosed establishment whether using masks and distancing are still the problem. Yes a mask will stretch out the time until someone gets infected but people need to stop assuming that wearing a n95 mask makes them magically immune to the virus - it doesn't. Part of me suspect that if you banned masks but made people aware of proper distancing which is more than 6 feet that you would probable get fewer infections. Right now when I go to a store I don't see even the 6 foot distancing happening especially with the people wearing masks that seem to think they are so protected that the distancing doesn't matter. If you want to remain free of infection don't go out period... otherwise you better be willing to roll the dice on how hard of an infection you'll get.

Last edited by a moderator:

KBLovedDisney

1595362645873.jpeg

The Mom

Premium Member
Please do not turn this into another Covid is worse/no worse than the flu/people die from lots of things, my numbers are better than your numbers, etc thread. And, as always - no politics.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
How exactly is anyone going to trace an outbreak back to the park?

it’s not rocket science either. All people need to do is list off places they’ve visited in the past number of days. If literally everyone says “Disney World” then there’s a problem.

Moka

Original Poster
In response to that Reddit post, (I don't want to quote it, because I don't want a giant quote.) the problem with that is it could be devastatingly real in 100% of the way, or... it could be greatly exaggerated.

I in no way doubt employees have tested positive for the virus. By this point, it's not even close to a surprise. However... 12-20 PER ATTRACTION? I don't know. It seems everyone believes this post here but this is one post with zero sources of quite literally anything. It's a guy spewing out stuff. Again, I by no means think that is 100% fake, a lot of it is possibly truth about many testing positive. But at the same time a lot of it could be a stretch.

This very much sounds like it could be something like Seaworld since it does mention a sister park (Busch Gardens), and it never exposed which park they were talking about. Definitely not Disney since it just opened. Universal... has 3 parks around, and they've been doing better. Remembering how Seaworld and Busch Gardens are the ones doing pretty bad mask enforcement wise and sometimes distancing.

Rabflmom

All of the tourists that live out of state will not be in our stats when/if they get it because your home state counts you. The thing that will show up in counts in Florida might be within the company itself by the number of CMs that are on the 2 week or extended quarantine for testing positive or actually sick with covid. Disney will know who they are paying 2 weeks pay to while they are not on the job.. It has begun with the hotels that opened in June is what I hear from CMs. Of course no one knows if the CMs got it because of the guests or because of something they did in their free time. None the less it is a risk for every CM to be there so don't be upset if they back up a step if you get in their 6 ft space or remind you that you do have to have your masks on correctly. They protect you with their masks and shields, please protect "our cms" with yours. :)

graphite1326

Surprise or no surprise? Orange County had a COVID-19 update this evening, and the question was brought up if any small outbreaks had been directly related to Walt Disney World or Universal Orlando Resort. The answer was no, however, there has been individual cases (which is inevitable).

Now the question I’m asking is: Are you surprised that there hasn’t been any small outbreak linked to the parks? Walt Disney World has been open not for very long, but still enough time for some reports to come in. Universal Orlando has been open for well over a month. (Just keeping it together with Disney.)

and depending on your choice, should we expect outbreaks from the parks, or individual cases only? It all depends on if you think what the parks are doing will work.
Well since it takes two weeks for it to show up and then more time to track the data.......no I'm not surprised.

NelleBelle

I think since the increase in cases around the country, it's been difficult for a lot of the states with contact tracing to perform that task. If functioning ideally, it shouldn't be difficult to trace it back to Disney, Universal, etc, regardless if you are out of state (if your state has contact tracing and isn't overwhelmed by increased COVID cases).

Walt Disney1955

Crowds don’t make the experience less depressing.

Besides, it’s not depressing at all. It’s the best trip to Disney I’ve had in a while, despite some disappointment for missing preshows, shows, and restaurants.

There are tons of positives and being able to move around the park without the crowds is amazing.

Being able to breath properly and being able to physically see the faces of the people you are with is all part of the experience. You keep going though, because we need those to break the ice for us in order to get back to normal. I applaud you for being that one guy, but it is just too expensive for me to have all of those restrictions that will limit my fun.

For fans, probably a modified experience overall is disappointing but for casual visitors, the fact that the parks are empty, wait times are minimal to walk-ons on all parks (except Hollywood Studios) that is worth it.

Who cares about preshows if I was able to ride Flight of Passage, Dinosaur, Aerosmith and Tower of Terror multiple times a day. There was even an instance where we didn't have to exit and the castmember said "Do you wanna go again?" That alone is something that will never happen when it all goes back to normal.

That happened years ago to me at Busch Gardens in 1991. It was in March, so you would think that the parks would have been relatively busy, but I can remember near the end of the day just jumping on the Pirate ship ride time and time again and sometimes being the only one in there. To the point where my mom was so impressed by that she took a picture, that's how I remember.

But Disney needs the full experience to fully be appreciated. The fireworks show for example, the parades, etc. Even jamming yourselves onto the ferry just to get to the Magic Kingdom is all part of it. I would hope that the people attending now make our society and Disney realize the sky is not falling and they can get back to their normal procedures sooner rather than later with no restrictions, because I sure as heck miss this place, and before hand if I couldn't go it was purely because of finances. But it is rather depressing to not even know when Disney will be Disney again. That I can't say I've ever experienced.

Chef Mickey

Being able to breath properly and being able to physically see the faces of the people you are with is all part of the experience. You keep going though, because we need those to break the ice for us in order to get back to normal. I applaud you for being that one guy, but it is just too expensive for me to have all of those restrictions that will limit my fun.

That happened years ago to me at Busch Gardens in 1991. It was in March, so you would think that the parks would have been relatively busy, but I can remember near the end of the day just jumping on the Pirate ship ride time and time again and sometimes being the only one in there. To the point where my mom was so impressed by that she took a picture, that's how I remember.

But Disney needs the full experience to fully be appreciated. The fireworks show for example, the parades, etc. Even jamming yourselves onto the ferry just to get to the Magic Kingdom is all part of it. I would hope that the people attending now make our society and Disney realize the sky is not falling and they can get back to their normal procedures sooner rather than later with no restrictions, because I sure as heck miss this place, and before hand if I couldn't go it was purely because of finances. But it is rather depressing to not even know when Disney will be Disney again. That I can't say I've ever experienced.
Not sure how you can just gloss over the fact the parks have never been this uncrowded since probably the 1970s. It was an absolute JOY to walk around the Magic Kingdom with literally no guests in my path and walk on to every single attraction. The cast members were better than ever (they are mostly full time and great at their jobs).

Yes, a few restaurants were closed and some shows were not operational...and yes, you had to wear a mask. But wow, everything else was incredible. My fun was in no way limited...it was enhanced. So much more relaxing. No Fast Pass...no pressure. Just do whatever you want.

If I had my choice, I'd take the current experience over the packed crowds experience any day.

Walt Disney1955

Not sure how you can just gloss over the fact the parks have never been this uncrowded since probably the 1970s. It was an absolute JOY to walk around the Magic Kingdom with literally no guests in my path and walk on to every single attraction. The cast members were better than ever (they are mostly full time and great at their jobs).

Yes, a few restaurants were closed and some shows were not operational...and yes, you had to wear a mask. But wow, everything else was incredible.

If I had my choice, I'd take the current experience over the packed crowds experience any day.

Okay, that's cool. Like I said, I appreciate you doing this because there does have to be a testing ground so that we can get back to normal. I'd say the same thing if Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park opened up.

Whenever the parks get back to normal and there aren't restrictions I am there! However, it isn't as if the parks will be jam packed. There are people who will NEVER get over this stuff psychologically. Stuff they didn't even think about until March, they'll NEVER mentally get over things and I think because of that it will be a long time before we see packed crowds again. So if I can go in 2021 when things are normal again I foresee moderate crowds even at the busiest of times, and that would be fine with me.

Raineman

Read my mind.

The 'entitled' lot have not yet made it to the parks.

Just wait.
The entitled & anti-maskers have both been making their thoughts known all over comment sections on Facebook, so I can only imagine how bad it will be as time goes on. These people don't understand that the mask/distancing/COVID precautions that Disney is taking are company policies that they can enforce and deny entry to anyone not abiding by the policies, but they always want to go back to "it's my right not to wear a mask". I always ask them if they walked into a store, barefoot and topless, when the store had a "no shirt, no shoes, no service" policy, would they think it's their "right" to shop half-naked? Let's hope these people do stay home and out of the parks.

Hcalvert

As of Friday, I will have been at WDW for 15 days. I have visited the theme parks multiple times (except EPCOT once), stayed at two resorts (Jambo and Poly), went to Disney Springs once (too busy and too many people not following the distancing and/or mask rules), and multiple Publixes (in Celebration, Kissimmee, and Windmere), restaurants (to go only), and one Walmart (too packed).

I am going back to Ohio on Friday, which is apparently having elevated cases now. I am more worried about going back home than staying at Disney at this point.

Last edited:

VaderTron

I will be shocked if only 2 NBA players end up positive.

As for Disney the real test will never be whether visitors get sick it will be whether the cast members get sick. Probably not that many characters will but I would be shocked if they don't get the ones serving food and drinks at counters or running cash registers and working in the shops infected within a couple of months.
Currently we know a cast member who is quarantining because she was exposed to the virus when she went to dinner with a friend who tested positive. She worked at Disney with guests and CM several days before being informed of the exposure. The chance of exposure is there. If it wasn't a risk with the current precautionary measures in place Disney wouldn't have signs everywhere that inform people they are at risk of contracting the virus by entering their park.

As others have stated, not hearing reports does not mean it isn't happening/hasn't happened/won't happen. It will take a major outbreak among those who stay for a significant period of time on Disney property to prove that the outbreak happened at WDW. With many guests coming for just a few days and in such small numbers it's unlikely that such a smoking gun will exist to prove an outbreak with WDW being the source.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom