As of July 27th, no outbreaks have been associated with the parks. Surprise?

Are you surprised there hasn’t been small outbreaks linked to parks?

• Surprised

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Kinda? Ehh?

Votes: 16 11.8%
  • Not surprised

Votes: 104 76.5%
  • Haven’t decided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t think it’s possible to trace cases to parks

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

Moka

Original Poster
Surprise or no surprise? Orange County had a COVID-19 update this evening, and the question was brought up if any small outbreaks had been directly related to Walt Disney World or Universal Orlando Resort. The answer was no, however, there has been individual cases (which is inevitable).

Now the question I’m asking is: Are you surprised that there hasn’t been any small outbreak linked to the parks? Walt Disney World has been open not for very long, but still enough time for some reports to come in. Universal Orlando has been open for well over a month. (Just keeping it together with Disney.)

and depending on your choice, should we expect outbreaks from the parks, or individual cases only? It all depends on if you think what the parks are doing will work.

Chef Mickey

Disney is doing their part and an amazing job overall.

I was there the last 10 days and was truly impressed. The Cast Members are enforcing the rules, guests are following them, and a lot of processes have been put in place to mitigate risks.

Temperature checks are done for every guest. Tons of hand sanitizer is available, scheduled ride cleaning, mandated mask wearing and enforcement, and physical barriers everywhere.

I felt FAR safer there than at my local restaurant or mall, where little is done.

thomas998

How exactly is anyone going to trace an outbreak back to the park? This isn't something like listeria or an e coli poisoning. The virus is everywhere in the country that people happen to pass through there is simply no way you could ever know if people were infected solely because they went to Disney or any other amusement park.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

When things first started happening I remember a report of one guy dying, that had major underlying conditions to start with, but headlines were "he had been to Disneyworld". So when I was talking to a DVC agent on the phone I asked them about it and they said "yeah and what DIDN'T get reported was the he ALSO had been to Universal". It's basically gonna be impossible to find out "where" you got it. I know that I got it from my buddy but we have no clue where he got it. I would love to know though. I mean I guess technically we got it from China but when I tried to call China and give them a piece of my mind the line was busy. LOL!

Giss Neric

People are avoiding theme parks right now so what's left are the law/rule abiding citizens visiting the parks. I haven't seen or heard anyone causing a scene inside or outside the parks about how inconvenience wearing a mask is to their health and how this is all a hoax. My point is, follow rules and be safe then everyone will be safe and no outbreak.

On the other hand, 2 NBA players have tested positive during the quarantine period at the Disney bubble. Don't know if this is actually true but let's see.

Last edited by a moderator:

thomas998

are avoiding theme parks right now so what's left are the law/rule abiding citizens visiting the parks. I haven't seen or heard anyone causing a scene inside or outside the parks about how inconvenience wearing a mask is to their health and how this is all a hoax. My point is, follow rules and be safe then everyone will be safe and no outbreak.

On the other hand, 2 NBA players have tested positive during the quarantine period at the Disney bubble. Don't know if this is actually true but let's see.
I will be shocked if only 2 NBA players end up positive.

As for Disney the real test will never be whether visitors get sick it will be whether the cast members get sick. Probably not that many characters will but I would be shocked if they don't get the ones serving food and drinks at counters or running cash registers and working in the shops infected within a couple of months.

Walt Disney1955

It's good, but man does that ever look like a depressing time to visit. The parks are empty, and that alone is a dream come true but things such as the Haunted Mansion not having its pre-show again is sad. In other words, when we live in a world where no one thinks anything of being in a crowd at a pre-show - no mask - and just having a good day? It was only 4 months ago we all lived like this? It would be nice to have some sort of timeline as to when Disney plans on making things normal again. They should at least have something in mind. 6 months? Less? More?

Giss Neric

It's good, but man does that ever look like a depressing time to visit. The parks are empty, and that alone is a dream come true but things such as the Haunted Mansion not having its pre-show again is sad. In other words, when we live in a world where no one thinks anything of being in a crowd at a pre-show - no mask - and just having a good day? It was only 4 months ago we all lived like this? It would be nice to have some sort of timeline as to when Disney plans on making things normal again. They should at least have something in mind. 6 months? Less? More?
For fans, probably a modified experience overall is disappointing but for casual visitors, the fact that the parks are empty, wait times are minimal to walk-ons on all parks (except Hollywood Studios) that is worth it.

Who cares about preshows if I was able to ride Flight of Passage, Dinosaur, Aerosmith and Tower of Terror multiple times a day. There was even an instance where we didn't have to exit and the castmember said "Do you wanna go again?" That alone is something that will never happen when it all goes back to normal.

PorterRedkey

It is a little soon for cases to show themselves (at least for Disney).

I really appreciate how Disney is taking masks seriously. However, they still have a few weak spots in their system (RotR queue during downtime) where their practices are not being followed by guests.

Let's hope any exposure is limited and doesn't turn in to an outbreak.

ElvisMickey

For fans, probably a modified experience overall is disappointing but for casual visitors, the fact that the parks are empty, wait times are minimal to walk-ons on all parks (except Hollywood Studios) that is worth it.

Who cares about preshows if I was able to ride Flight of Passage, Dinosaur, Aerosmith and Tower of Terror multiple times a day. There was even an instance where we didn't have to exit and the castmember said "Do you wanna go again?" That alone is something that will never happen when it all goes back to normal.

As a local who has now been to the parks quite a bit since they reopened, I’ll take this crowd level any day even if I had to walk around with a plastic bag on my head as opposed to wall to wall guests. There’s definitely nothing depressing about it.

thomas998

if enough people that have been to disney world get covid at the same time and they report it correctly.

its easier than u think.
That might work if everyone that visited lived in the same county in the same state... but that isn't the demographic of the Disney visitors so assume 100 people get infected the same day, the symptoms will show up at various times between 3 and 14 days, now since 80% of those infected either realize it or don't suffer enough to require medical intervention you have 20 of the 100 infected people that will get tested, but the odds of them all living in the same state and same county is about zero, now assume one from Kentucky is even asked about where they were... they say Disney, but they will likely also say the airport, where will the person interviewing them think the were infected? He's probably seen more people infected that used the airport and went somewhere else than did the airport and Disney so he's more likely going to assume the airport was the cause. I don't see any way health officials will be pinning the infections on Disney simply because there are so many variable involved no one will ever be able to say Disney was the cause. Even if you have a massive increase in cases and the country's reporting systems worked perfectly you would probably find that the vast majority of the cases also have the Orlando airport as a common point of possible infection... so which would they think was more likely to be the cause?

NickPytlinski

That might work if everyone that visited lived in the same county in the same state... but that isn't the demographic of the Disney visitors so assume 100 people get infected the same day, the symptoms will show up at various times between 3 and 14 days, now since 80% of those infected either realize it or don't suffer enough to require medical intervention you have 20 of the 100 infected people that will get tested, but the odds of them all living in the same state and same county is about zero, now assume one from Kentucky is even asked about where they were... they say Disney, but they will likely also say the airport, where will the person interviewing them think the were infected? He's probably seen more people infected that used the airport and went somewhere else than did the airport and Disney so he's more likely going to assume the airport was the cause. I don't see any way health officials will be pinning the infections on Disney simply because there are so many variable involved no one will ever be able to say Disney was the cause. Even if you have a massive increase in cases and the country's reporting systems worked perfectly you would probably find that the vast majority of the cases also have the Orlando airport as a common point of possible infection... so which would they think was more likely to be the cause?

disney

Chef Mickey

It's good, but man does that ever look like a depressing time to visit. The parks are empty, and that alone is a dream come true but things such as the Haunted Mansion not having its pre-show again is sad. How long will it take for us to go back to the days where the Karens of the world (sorry, the real "Karens" are the ones judging everyone else who isn't paranoid like them) don't hold the rest of us back? In other words, when we live in a world where no one thinks anything of being in a crowd at a pre-show - no mask - and just having a good day? It was only 4 months ago we all lived like this? It would be nice to have some sort of timeline as to when Disney plans on making things normal again. They should at least have something in mind. 6 months? Less? More?
Crowds don’t make the experience less depressing.

Besides, it’s not depressing at all. It’s the best trip to Disney I’ve had in a while, despite some disappointment for missing preshows, shows, and restaurants.

There are tons of positives and being able to move around the park without the crowds is amazing.

Donald Esq

I’m not terribly surprised for a number of reasons.

1. Disney has only been open for a few days. Universal doesn’t draw enough attention for people to figure out if there’s an outbreak. People forget that SeaWorld even exists.

2. Crowds have been pretty small, allowing for more effective social distancing, also meaning a lot fewer people on airplanes, etc.

3. Even if there was an outbreak, we’d likely never know about it. The parks sure as heck are never going to report an outbreak, and Orange County government, which relies heavily on the tourism industry has zero incentive to ever report that a connected stream of cases came from their cash cow. It became clear the governing authorities didn’t care when they approved haphazard reopening plans with few if any details beyond mask requirements.

KBLovedDisney

The "entitled" are avoiding theme parks right now so what's left are the law/rule abiding citizens visiting the parks. I haven't seen or heard anyone causing a scene inside or outside the parks about how inconvenience wearing a mask is to their health and how this is all a hoax. My point is, follow rules and be safe then everyone will be safe and no outbreak.

Read my mind.

The 'entitled' lot have not yet made it to the parks.

Just wait.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom