As a viewer, do you miss the fans?

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
When I am watching baseball, the absence of fans is a distraction to me.
Yet the NHL has those attractive seat coverings...two toned blue.
For me personally, as I watch the NHL I am just able to focus on the action.
How do YOU feel when watching any sporting event?? ( Make references to any sport)

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

I don’t realize it in baseball too much. The crowd sounds pumped in from the MLB: The Show video games, added with the cutouts, is enough to make it not seem like an empty tomb.

Basketball always had the pumped in music/noise, and combined with the Zoom crowd backdrops, it’s sufficient.

Stadiums with no pumped noise takes me out of it completely. As do games with The Show’s digital fans, being the worst for taking me out of the game.

I haven’t watched hockey much. Not really my sport. Can’t comment on that.

Last edited:

NeedMoreMickey

I’m a golf fan and it is a usually quite sport but watching the Masters in November without the roars on the back nine on Sunday is going to be odd.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Could fans be CGI'd in? Other variables would be a issue like camera tracking. But if "they" can add realtime graphics to a field as players run across; I don't see why they can't create virtual fans in a stadium. Would that be more weird though?

Tony Perkis

Could fans be CGI'd in? Other variables would be a issue like camera tracking. But if "they" can add realtime graphics to a field as players run across; I don't see why they can't create virtual fans in a stadium. Would that be more weird though?
They’re doing it on Fox national broadcasts. It’s bad.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
They’re doing it on Fox national broadcasts. It’s bad.

Oh really?! Wow. I didn't think anyone would attempt it. The idea is sound but it all relies on execution to be successful. I do think it's kind of weird though. I haven't been following it closely. Do they reference them? I know broadcasters are doing a lot of streaming videos of fans via Zoom, etc but never any "fake" fans for additional ambiance. Interesting.

Tony Perkis

Oh really?! Wow. I didn't think anyone would attempt it. The idea is sound but it all relies on execution to be successful. I do think it's kind of weird though. I haven't been following it closely. Do they reference them? I know broadcasters are doing a lot of streaming videos of fans via Zoom, etc but never any "fake" fans for additional ambiance. Interesting.
It’s 100% in conjunction with the video game. They’re using sourced material from the games to create a live atmosphere.

The issue is there is a major disconnect. As the camera moves and pans, the fans have to buffer and reload, sometimes popping in and out. They don’t react to home runs or foul balls. It works as a stationary shot, but little else.

The commentary crew brings it up often, but it’s as partial advertising for the game. That’s gotta be a major reason for this push, as the game is expanding to Xbox next year and they found a golden advertising opportunity.

Reference of a stationary shot:

E21AACAC-5A20-4594-97E4-477A5061EB64.jpeg

Last edited:

InnKpr

I personally haven't missed the seated fans any. The games still go on, and as long as the people who really matter - the players & coaches - are keeping safe and virus -free, then these sports' seasons of 2020 are a success in my book, given these unusual circumstances.

StarWarsGirl

The only thing I've found weird is the cardboard cutouts at some baseball games.
1598392067181.png

I think there's an eagle and a few dogs in there. 😂 Cool idea, but I found it really distracting.

I find the crowd noise a bit distracting because my brain goes "Uh, there's no one there" but I know players said it was weird playing without fans and no noise in Camden Yards the year of the Baltimore riots.

Tony Perkis

The only thing I've found weird is the cardboard cutouts at some baseball games.
View attachment 493015

I think there's an eagle and a few dogs in there. 😂 Cool idea, but I found it really distracting.

I find the crowd noise a bit distracting because my brain goes "Uh, there's no one there" but I know players said it was weird playing without fans and no noise in Camden Yards the year of the Baltimore riots.
I remember watching that. It was eerie, to say the least.

InnKpr

View attachment 493015

I like how one kid toward the bottom - middle section, even in cardboard cutout form, was respectful enough to wear a face mask. 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom