Artist Banksy targets Disneyland

ogryn

Original Poster
A life-size replica of a Guantanamo Bay detainee has been placed in Disneyland by "guerrilla artist" Banksy.

The hooded figure was placed inside the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ride at the California theme park last weekend.

It is understood to have remained in place for 90 minutes before the ride was closed down and the figure removed.

A spokeswoman for Banksy said the stunt was intended to highlight the plight of terror suspects at the controversial detention centre in Cuba.

Banksy is notorious for his secretive and subversive stunts - such as sneaking doctored versions of classic paintings into major art galleries.

In 2005, he embarrassed the British Museum by planting a hoax cave painting of a man pushing a supermarket trolley, which he said went unnoticed for three days.

Last week, he smuggled 500 "alternative" versions of Paris Hilton's album into record shops around the UK.

The artist replaced Hilton's songs with his own remixes, which were given titles such as Why am I Famous?, What Have I Done? and What Am I For?

He also changed the artwork to show the US socialite topless and with a dog's head.

Picture & More text @: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5335400.stm

netenyahoo

How did he get such a big thing into the park? Pretty dumb thing if you ask me. This kind of stunt won't change many minds. It also ruined the Disneyland experience and made the ride shut down. Hopefully he was kicked out of the park.

BRER STITCH

How crazy!

He should really think out his mode of delivery a little better!

I mean, seriously....if you are going to do something that silly, think it through and make it worth your while.

There is no message there at all.

The only thing it says to me is that some crazy Cast Member must have left a mannequin of a child in a Halloween costume onstage the night before.

:hammer:

tampabrad

There is no message there at all.

The only thing it says to me is that some crazy Cast Member must have left a mannequin of a child in a Halloween costume onstage the night before.

I thought the same thing, but his stunt got him in the media.

I would like to know how he got that thing past security, how he put it in there without people noticing, and why it took 90 mins for CMs to notice. Something like that could have been much worse than art.

Bairstow

I just got back from a showing of the film Exit Through the Gift Shop and although you never get to see Banky's face or hear his real voice, there's plenty of footage of this "installation" being placed in the ride.

Pretty cool stuff, and an amazing film.
guantanemo_disney-banksy.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom