Are you sick of DVC Yet??

ryguy

Original Poster
I don't know about you all, but I am becoming tired of the constant push of DVC additions to the resort. I guess every Disney resort in the future will have a DVC attached to it. I would much rather see a new moderate resort. A re-theme of the Coronado (which is a total waste of space) sounds like a much better idea to me. The thought of another value resort makes me want to hurl as well. :hurl: Finish the Pop for goodness sake. :fork:
Ok I feel better now. Just had to vent. :wave:

summergirl32

I love the DVC. It is so nice to book your vacation and not have to pay for acommodations. I also love having a kitchen and in-room washer/dryer. It works great for my family. I must admitted though, that Saratoga Springs was a huge disappointment. We stayed there two weeks last July and we missed the theming of the other resorts. It is a beautiful resort but I didn't feel like I was at Disney and the restaurant was terrible.

reptar77

Since joining DVC we have been extremely pleased. I cannot believe we didn't do it sooner. I do have to agree though that the constant advertising is getting old but they tend to advertise things hard for a full year before toning them back.

maelstrom

I'm tired of DVC taking over the world too.

But what's your problem with Coronado Springs? It's a beautiful resort.

Aurora_25

I'm a DVC member and love it, but I agree about all the advertising getting a bit annoying. I told my DH once- why do they keep saying "Disney's best kept secret" when they were stuffing it down your throat to look at it- not a best kept secret if you ask me....

optjay

Been a DVC member since 1999, and LOVE it.
But the endless ads, kiosks every place you look, and all the printed matter IS such a distraction from the MAGIC !!

Main Street USA

I love the DVC. It is so nice to book your vacation and not have to pay for acommodations. I also love having a kitchen and in-room washer/dryer. It works great for my family. I must admitted though, that Saratoga Springs was a huge disappointment. We stayed there two weeks last July and we missed the theming of the other resorts. It is a beautiful resort but I didn't feel like I was at Disney and the restaurant was terrible.
Not have to pay for accomodations? Come on now. That's just plain false. I'm all for DVC, too, but let's not call it something it isn't.

You know, there are a lot of people who go stay for a week on property and still pay less than ANY DVC owner's dues for one year. It's called a Value Resort.

I understand it's great to have the (arguably) nicer accomodations for less money (eventually less money...let's not forget the initial MINIMUM approx. $15,000 buy in for 150 points, which will only get you a studio on any decent week), but you can definitely still do WDW cheaper than DVC, which is FAR from "free accomodations."

MissM

Sick of DVC? Everywhere? Constantly? Ceaseless? Taking over resorts? Showing up on my parking pass? In the parks? On the park maps as if they were actual things to do and see?

YES!

:hurl:
-m

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You know, there are a lot of people who go stay for a week on property and still pay less than ANY DVC owner's dues for one year. It's called a Value Resort.

I understand it's great to have the (arguably) nicer accomodations...

(Puts on Darth Vader mask)
If you only knew the POWER.... of the in-room washer and dryer.... Our annual dues are now less than what two rooms would cost at a Value Resort - a family of (now) 5 cannot stay in one room.

Getting out of Value Resorts is simply a perk to the DVC for us. We were tired of the near-constant smoking outside our rooms by others, the noise, the being packed-into-a-bus-like-sardines madness.... although that last point is more to do with the bus situation and not the Value Resorts themselves. I still like the Value Resorts - I think their theming and atmosphere are great - but having a separate room for the kids, in-room washer/dryer, overall larger accomodations are just plain worth it for us.

For larger families, DVC makes sense. We fit that category, and it works well for us. It may not be as attractive to others. And, YES, I'm tired of the DVC advertising everywhere! But since it's a cash cow, it'll continue...:cry:

BTW - Value Resort pricing started at $69 per night in 1997.

Sorry, not true. This DVC owner's dues run just under $400 per year. I just went on Disney's webiste and they quote rates for the value resorts starting at $79 per night. A six night stay (your one week) amounts to $474 - which is more than I pay in dues for a year.

I am tired of seeing the advertising everywhere and hope they come up with a new slogan for the AKL sales.

Main Street USA

Sorry, not true. This DVC owner's dues run just under $400 per year. I just went on Disney's webiste and they quote rates for the value resorts starting at $79 per night. A six night stay (your one week) amounts to $474 - which is more than I pay in dues for a year.

I am tired of seeing the advertising everywhere and hope they come up with a new slogan for the AKL sales.
Actually, it is true. I paid less than $400 last time I stayed at a value, with the AP discount. ;)

Main Street USA

(Puts on Darth Vader mask)
If you only knew the POWER.... of the in-room washer and dryer.... Our annual dues are now less than what two rooms would cost at a Value Resort - a family of (now) 5 cannot stay in one room.

Getting out of Value Resorts is simply a perk to the DVC for us. We were tired of the near-constant smoking outside our rooms by others, the noise, the being packed-into-a-bus-like-sardines madness.... although that last point is more to do with the bus situation and not the Value Resorts themselves. I still like the Value Resorts - I think their theming and atmosphere are great - but having a separate room for the kids, in-room washer/dryer, overall larger accomodations are just plain worth it for us.

For larger families, DVC makes sense. We fit that category, and it works well for us. It may not be as attractive to others. And, YES, I'm tired of the DVC advertising everywhere! But since it's a cash cow, it'll continue...:cry:

BTW - Value Resort pricing started at $69 per night in 1997.
EEK! Darth Vader!

Agree with everything you said.

Now, I've done the math, so I know Value Resorts can still be cheaper if we're only talking about one year, BUT I also know the long term savings that are possible with DVC. If you're planning on being at WDW every single year, and nothing (god forbid) happens to interrupt that (life can be very unpredictable), you'll eventually save over $80,000 by the year 2040 with inflation, AP discounts, etc. That estimate is for a person who normally would stay in a Tower room at the Contemporary. For a person who would otherwise stay at a value, the savings drop all the way down to around $5000 TOTAL for the next 35 years.

slappy magoo

I'm a DVC member, and agree that, perhaps, they could find less-intrusive ways to get the word out, especially in the parks. AND they can find a better slogan than it being "The best kept Disney secret"

My solution, for promotion in the parks, would be kiosks near the entrance/exit, and advertising in the bathrooms. You heard me, the bathrooms. Most bars or restaurant men's rooms anywhere else in the world now has advertising or the sports page of that day's newspaper hanging up in front of urinals. Throw a DVC ad there instead, maybe on the back doors of toilet stalls. And that's it. No various stands throughout the parks. The thought is in your head if you went to the bathroom even once, and once you leave the park - and are already starting to miss the "magic" - there's a kiosk right outside the entrance to answer any other questions you may have. Granted, the truly exhausted aren't going to stick around outside the parks, but for the most part, INSIDE the parks you've got better things to do with your time than to talk to a sales rep, right? They'd probably generate just as much interest, AND be less intrusive to the goings-on in the park, than all those extra stands everywhere else in the world.

I don't have an issue with them in the resorts or DTD.

lebeau

EEK! Darth Vader!

Agree with everything you said.

Now, I've done the math, so I know Value Resorts can still be cheaper if we're only talking about one year, BUT I also know the long term savings that are possible with DVC. If you're planning on being at WDW every single year, and nothing (god forbid) happens to interrupt that (life can be very unpredictable), you'll eventually save over $80,000 by the year 2040 with inflation, AP discounts, etc. That estimate is for a person who normally would stay in a Tower room at the Contemporary. For a person who would otherwise stay at a value, the savings drop all the way down to around $5000 TOTAL for the next 35 years.

And that is assuming you didn't finance your membership. If you're paying interest, the odds are you are losing money. Because the interest rates generally outpace inflation and price hikes combined.

I ran some numbers a while back when I was considering DVC pretty heavily. I determined that it was a good idea if: 1) You go at least every two years 2) You always stay in a moderate resort or better and 3) You can pay for it all up front.

If these three things are not true and you want to stay in a DVC accomodation, my understanding is that you are better off renting someone else's points. Although I imagine that would be an inconvenience if you wanted to make a habit of it.

Main Street USA

And that is assuming you didn't finance your membership. If you're paying interest, the odds are you are losing money. Because the interest rates generally outpace inflation and price hikes combined.

I ran some numbers a while back when I was considering DVC pretty heavily. I determined that it was a good idea if: 1) You go at least every two years 2) You always stay in a moderate resort or better and 3) You can pay for it all up front.

If these three things are not true and you want to stay in a DVC accomodation, my understanding is that you are better off renting someone else's points. Although I imagine that would be an inconvenience if you wanted to make a habit of it.
You hit the nail on the head with everything you wrote. The details are endless, but you've summed up the imporatant stuff in a few sentences. I've seen way too many people try to get in it for the "savings" when they really can't afford the initial cost.

ryguy

Original Poster
I know plenty of people love DVC, they wouldn't be building more if there were not demand. My point is I would rather see more money pumped into other resorts like the moderates. CBR could use some loving and I feel another moderate resort would do well. It seems like all new resort projects are focusing on timeshare and that is frustrating. I feel Disney is pushing a sector that is only for a select few guests. Most guests will never own a timeshare. And to rent one of those rooms through Disney is a joke, I mean I could rent a house a mile away for 1000.00 bucks a week. A 3 bedroom DVC rental per night is around $700.00 a night. I mean who really pays that price?? Money earmarked for DVC is only good for Disney and the select few who can afford timeshare. I would rather see that money spent on resorts or attractions that the majority of guests could use and enjoy.

Main Street USA

I know plenty of people love DVC, they wouldn't be building more if there were not demand. My point is I would rather see more money pumped into other resorts like the moderates. CBR could use some loving and I feel another moderate resort would do well. It seems like all new resort projects are focusing on timeshare and that is frustrating. I feel Disney is pushing a sector that is only for a select few guests. Most guests will never own a timeshare. And to rent one of those rooms through Disney is a joke, I mean I could rent a house a mile away for 1000.00 bucks a week. A 3 bedroom DVC rental per night is around $700.00 a night. I mean who really pays that price?? Money earmarked for DVC is only good for Disney and the select few who can afford timeshare. I would rather see that money spent on resorts or attractions that the majority of guests could use and enjoy.
Well, as I said, DVC can definitely SAVE money, and there are thousands upon thousands of DVC owners, so calling that a "select few" is hardly true.

I'm not sure where you get your $700 a night figure from. The poster above was referring to renting DVC points from another dvc member, which is actually quite cheap, and NOWHERE near $700 a night.

lebeau said it best with his post. It's all about who you are and what your preferences are. DVC can be an amazing money saver for some, and yet it can put others in the hole.

As for spending money on more moderates....I would rather see them spend money on......say........the half-completed POP Century Resort. Finish that (the rumored suites would be great for a value resort, and add another NEW option in the Value-priced range for alrger families or groups) then worry about expansion into new resorts.

I gotta say, though, a new moderate resort is probably about as likely as Monorail expansion at this point, but like you said, doing something to one of the existing Moderates isn't out of the question.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom