Are you intitled to Florida resident if you own DVC?

MR. DISNEY

Original Poster
I just wanted to know are you intitled to Florida resident if you own DVC? Can you get a resident card? We own property. Does anybody know?

DisneyPhD

There has been much debat over this with DVC members telling member services (DVC) the same thing. As a DVC member you do not own property at FLA nor have any FLA ID because of this. (techically is isn't "owning" property.) Not sure of the legisics.

Last year DVC introduced a $100 of an AP and a bit more off the permuim APs. (this actually comes out to better then the FLA AP rate.) If you are an FLA resident and DVC get get an addtional $25 They also alow AP holder to get the DDE too (before it was only FLA residents, infact it is cheaper for AP holders then FLA residents.)

However these deals do not inculde other things (like seasonal AP for FLA residents or other multi day ticket deals WDW has had in the past for FLA residents. (not sure what they all over since I am not a FLA resient.)

We don't know how long this deals will last. The same can be said for FLA resident discounts too. WDW can take it away when ever they want.

Now I just want a deal that DVC members can get the 35$ a day meal plan.

DisneyPhD said:
Now I just want a deal that DVC members can get the 35$ a day meal plan.

I am with you on that idea!

Owning DVC does not make you a Florida resident so you are not ENtitled to the resident rate. The DVC discount, however, is terrific.

DisneyPhD

Not sure of all the legal aspects, I asked my DVC guide about it when we 1st joined. I think technically you don't "own" anything but rather are renting. I know that goes agasint the whole "Own DVC thing." But not land is actually owned by members in time shares (or at least DVC ones.)

In addtion as I stated before we have not documents showing we are Fla residents. I know many life long Michigan residents "move" to FLA for 4 to 5 months a year and have to change all their documentation. Once again not sure of the actual legal reasons. Someone else might know more offical lines.

Yellow Shoes

This is from www.disneyworld.com:

Proof of Florida residency is required -- you must provide any one of the following:
* Florida driver's license
* Florida state-issued ID card (must have Florida address)
* Florida voter's registration card with corresponding picture ID
* A college ID for a Florida college
* Florida-based military ID​

There are many reports here that ID is checked to make sure you are indeed a Florida resident. It may seem unfair to DVC owners, but it must seem doubly unfair to those who own actual real estate and pay Florida taxes on it. But if Florida is not where you sleep most nights, you aren't a resident.

Still, Disney makes the rules, as is their right.

DisneyPhD

Yellow Shoes said:
This is from www.disneyworld.com:

Proof of Florida residency is required -- you must provide any one of the following:
* Florida driver's license
* Florida state-issued ID card (must have Florida address)
* Florida voter's registration card with corresponding picture ID
* A college ID for a Florida college
* Florida-based military ID​

There are many reports here that ID is checked to make sure you are indeed a Florida resident. It may seem unfair to DVC owners, but it must seem doubly unfair to those who own actual real estate and pay Florida taxes on it. But if Florida is not where you sleep most nights, you aren't a resident.

Still, Disney makes the rules, as is their right.

However it apears DVC does listen to its members buy giving them the AP discount (better then FLA AP discount.) I hear the dining plan is coming too, but they are working on how to make it work in the computer system.

All in all I love DVC and "owning a piece of the magic" even if I don't actually OWN any land. :lol: :lookaroun

Yellow Shoes

...and how's this for unfair?

My brother-in-law owns a house in Florida, but is living in India (it's a job thing). They don't drive in India, so they still have Florida Driver's Licenses and voter cards.

They DON'T live in Florida, but get the discount.

DisneyPhD

Yellow Shoes said:
...and how's this for unfair?

My brother-in-law owns a house in Florida, but is living in India (it's a job thing). They don't drive in India, so they still have Florida Driver's Licenses and voter cards.

They DON'T live in Florida, but get the discount.

Yes but he OWNs the house. Makes the payements on it, pays for the heating, cooling, gas, water ect...

We get a lot of that around here in Michigan. Many retires own a house in FLA (or condo or even permiment trailer) and keep their Michigan house. They spend 4 to 5 months a year in FLA and the rest back home.

I am not sure but if you spend more then a certain number of months in FLA they make you change your car resigration and ID to FLA. The rules are more strict there (and the bennifts better.) Being a Michigan resident doesn't get me much now a ways (because home state tution for college if you want to go in Michigain.)

I have heard they will accept a water or other utilities bill in your name for a FLA address if you do not have FLA ID.

MissM

Snowbirds (aka part time residents in Florida) can legally get either a Florida DL without surrendering their home state or they can get Florida ID cards. Most own second homes here though so it makes it easier. But, if you spend a few months of the year here and have a Florida address you can legally recieve mail at, it's no problem to get a FL ID card. You have to remember, we have both full-time residents and part-time residents so it's easier legally when it comes to status of living in-state and having state identification then other places.

I know that doesn't address the DVC issue, but it's how part-time residents can still legally be considered FL residents.
-m

DisneyPhD

MissM said:
Snowbirds (aka part time residents in Florida) can legally get either a Florida DL without surrendering their home state or they can get Florida ID cards. Most own second homes here though so it makes it easier. But, if you spend a few months of the year here and have a Florida address you can legally recieve mail at, it's no problem to get a FL ID card. You have to remember, we have both full-time residents and part-time residents so it's easier legally when it comes to status of living in-state and having state identification then other places.

I know that doesn't address the DVC issue, but it's how part-time residents can still legally be considered FL residents.
-m

Thanks Miss M I knew it was something like that. :)

Woody13

Here's the law in Florida for the homestead exemption (i.e. first $25,000 property value is not taxed);
Every person who has legal or equitable title to real property in the State of Florida and who resides on the property on January 1 and in good faith makes it his or her permanent home is eligible for a homestead exemption. If title is held by the husband alone, a wife may file for him, with his consent, and vice-versa. If property is held by the entireties, one spouse may file as agent for the other.
If filing for the first time, be prepared to answer these questions:
  1. In whose name or names was the title to the dwelling recorded as of January 1?
  2. What is the street address of the property?
  3. How long have you been a legal resident of the State of Florida? (A Declaration of Domicile or Voter's Registration will be proof of date before January 1.)
  4. Do you have a Florida license plate on your car and a Florida driver's license?
  5. Were you living in the dwelling on January 1?

Magic Maker

When I talk to Guest's I say that "you own part of Saratoga Spring's Resort through a deeded real estate interest". I am not legal professional, but I believe the key word there is interest.

Woody13

Magic Maker said:
When I talk to Guest's I say that "you own part of Saratoga Spring's Resort through a deeded real estate interest". I am not legal professional, but I believe the key word there is interest.
It all goes back to 1991 when DVC first offered OKW for sale. Many people (including yours truly) wanted to buy into a DVC property. However, after looking at the contract, you couldn't buy anything. It was just a lease. You were a "member" of the club, not an "owner". No savvy timeshare buyers wanted to lease property.

So, DVC decided to fool a few people. They quickly began to issue a "deed" of your real estate interest. All of these deeds are dutifully recorded as well. They changed all the contracts to read "owner" rather than "member". So now, instead of being a member with a lease, you now became an owner of a lease. But you still own no property.

In short, it is just a tricky word game the DVC plays. It's also very deceitful IMO.

If you are just a "member of a club", why do you receive a statement of Florida property tax that was paid each year?

I understand that I don't own, but lease the interest until 2042. I joke that our goal is to outlive this thing.

It's still one of the best purchases we've made and has provided us with a great vacation each year since we joined, leased, bought,..... whatever.

DisneyPhD

ConstanceIrene said:
If you are just a "member of a club", why do you receive a statement of Florida property tax that was paid each year?

I understand that I don't own, but lease the interest until 2042. I joke that our goal is to outlive this thing.

It's still one of the best purchases we've made and has provided us with a great vacation each year since we joined, leased, bought,..... whatever.

I totally agree. I am happy to be a owner of a lease. I would rather do then then have to work at upkep myself instead of just pay dues.

Woody13

Here is the official disclaimer from the DVC;

An offer may be made only by means of a Public Offering Statement, which is available from the Sponsor. Disney Vacation Development, Inc., and Disney Vacation Club Management Corp. are subsidiaries of The Walt Disney Company and are affiliated with Walt Disney World Co. You are not buying an interest in any of the foregoing entities.

In translation it means that DVC doesn't own anything. The property is wholly owned by WDW in fee simple title. The DVC leases the property from WDW and then subleases the properties to DVC "owners". The property taxes are paid by WDW but DVC "owners" end up paying the property taxes via the annual maintenance fee.

FYI, the legal name of the owner for the DVC properties is "Walt Disney World Hospitality Recreation Corporation". I encourage you (and other DVC owners) to visit the Orange County Property Appraiser online. You can look up all the DVC timeshares and see the property taxes for yourselves.

So, in the end, you don't own any property, but you still pay property taxes as if you were the owner. I think WDW has the advantage in this case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom