Are you 23? Solved! Maybe....

Chroniq

Original Poster
From the Spring Mickey Monitor

"Yes I'll admit the archives staff has a hand in this" Said Dave Smith with a grin, but were sworn to secrey until March 10th.....

So it looks like either a release of 23 old films or something similiar, not a fan club as many had hoped.......

This goes with the fact the first "Are you 23?" posters were found by Laughing Place inside Walt Disney Studios in Anaheim and not in one of the parks.

The other thing it could be is a boxset release or immediate 3D rerelease of Toy Story from Pixar.
We know now with 100 percent certainty that this is archive film related now..

AREM

"Yes I'll admit the archives staff has a hand in this" Said Dave Smith with a grin, but were sworn to secrey until March 10th.....

So it looks like either a release of 23 old films or something similiar, not a fan club as many had hoped.......

This goes with the fact the first "Are you 23?" posters were found by Laughing Place inside Walt Disney Studios in Anaheim and not in one of the parks.

The other thing it could be is a boxset release or immediate 3D rerelease of Toy Story from Pixar.

Interesting. Has to be a movie/series release.

Lee

Adventurer
There's an "Are You 23" poster outside the MK, near the monorail station. Whatever that means.:shrug:

There is a club of some sort in the works, but this may not be it.

Rob562

The Disney Archives doesn't just deal with film. They store and preserve ANYTHING relating to the Walt Disney Company, from all branches of the company. From film to artwork, park miniatures to clothing.

-Rob

mwbrown

As it says on another site, Pixar is turning 23 this year, but I can't get a significance to the March 10th date (I thought maybe that was the day that Steve Jobs and the gang renamed it Pixar but that is a guess...)

Looking at Disney releases in 1986, I can't imagine it is a release of a 23 year old movie, as neither Flight of the Navigator or The Great Mouse Detective really warrant this mysterious buildup.

In other words, I am as in the dark as everybody else...but curious...

Pongo

The Disney Archives doesn't just deal with film. They store and preserve ANYTHING relating to the Walt Disney Company, from all branches of the company. From film to artwork, park miniatures to clothing.

-Rob

In fact, the archives may only have something to do with the name, i.e. 1923, the year the company was founded. You really can't get any more archival than that :shrug:

My chips are still on the club idea. They could release all sorts of members-only vintage items through the archives.

Pongo

As it says on another site, Pixar is turning 23 this year, but I can't get a significance to the March 10th date (I thought maybe that was the day that Steve Jobs and the gang renamed it Pixar but that is a guess...)

Looking at Disney releases in 1986, I can't imagine it is a release of a 23 year old movie, as neither Flight of the Navigator or The Great Mouse Detective really warrant this mysterious buildup.

In other words, I am as in the dark as everybody else...but curious...

March 10th is the date of the Disney shareholders meeting.

Kamikaze

You needed a new thread for this?

It isn't the release of any movie or movies.
Dave Smith is the guru of everything Disney. Just because he knows what it is doesn't mean its movie related. He answers questions every month in the Disney Insider, and very few of those are directly related to movies.
The Disney Archives are basically the compendium of all Disney knowledge and 'lore' on all subjects. Other companies/franchises with vast amounts of information (secret or not) to store call their encyclopedias various things. The Star Wars one is called the Holocron, for example.

Once again, it isn't a movie or movies.

Chroniq

Original Poster
I'm well aware who Dave Smith is as we have all read his monthly column in the Disney e-mail sent out.

I as well as everyone else here, would like to believe its a fan club or something of greater importance than a movie related announcement... Though to me the fact that "the archive staff" worked on this project seems that it strongly points that way.... Will the archive staff be handing out items out of the vault to fan club members?

I also fully believe the announcement to be made at the shareholders meeting, whatever it may be.

What I'd like the announcement to be, is a full build out of "Pixar Land" with Cars Land and a Monsters Inc coaster. This would give Disney the type of attractions to compete with Potter.

As for starting a new post, its the only information that has been given out since since the posters were hung and the website open, no matter how inconsequential you may think it is.. That being said, maybe one of the mods should merge this with the original thread?

Kamikaze

I'm well aware who Dave Smith is as we have all read his monthly column in the Disney e-mail sent out.

I as well as everyone else here, would like to believe its a fan club or something of greater importance than a movie related announcement... Though to me the fact that "the archive staff" worked on this project seems that it strongly points that way.... Will the archive staff be handing out items out of the vault to fan club members?

I also fully believe the announcement to be made at the shareholders meeting, whatever it may be.

What I'd like the announcement to be, is a full build out of "Pixar Land" with Cars Land and a Monsters Inc coaster. This would give Disney the type of attractions to compete with Potter.

As for starting a new post, its the only information that has been given out since since the posters were hung and the website open, no matter how inconsequential you may think it is.. That being said, maybe one of the mods should merge this with the original thread?

It isn't 'new' information. Its what YOU (wrongly) thought of when you read the information, and this was already posted in the other thread.
Just because the archive staff worked on something doesn't make it movie related. You made that jump all by yourself. I'm sure the archive staff looks at anything that could effect any IP or TWDC.
For example, the archive staff would be called if they were going to do something such as ... bring Figment back. Or build a Little Mermaid attraction. (No, this isn't either of those.)

Merge, no. Close, yes.

Wilt Dasney

It isn't 'new' information. Its what YOU (wrongly) thought of when you read the information
Sounds like a rumor to me. Do we really have to crawl a guy for posting his own conclusion to a question nobody (who's talking) knows the answer to, anyway?

Heck, he even put a "maybe" in the thread title.

Kamikaze

Sounds like a rumor to me. Do we really have to crawl a guy for posting his own conclusion to a question nobody (who's talking) knows the answer to, anyway?

Heck, he even put a "maybe" in the thread title.

Why not post it in the same thread?
Why not read the thread where his rumor/theory/conclusion has been shot down multiple times already?
Whatever, I don't care. If someone can't read through the original thread and figure out what it is, they need to take a reading comprehension course. It might not explicitly say what it is, but it sure is spelled out.

Wilt Dasney

Why not post it in the same thread?
Why not read the thread where his rumor/theory/conclusion has been shot down multiple times already?

Fair enough... but just a second ago you bristled at the suggestion of even merging the two and said the thread should just be closed because the idea was too wrongheaded to warrant consideration. That's pretty much why I posted.

Whether it's in one thread, two, or 50, anybody with a theory should be allowed to express it, since at this point everybody's just trying to sound smart before the actual announcement anyway.

Sosai X

Song of the South had its last theatrical release in 1986, 23 years ago. So it could be the long-anticipated release of the film on DVD and Blu-ray.

:eek:

TP2000

Isn't Star Tours 23 years old now? :lookaroun:zipit:

No, it's 22 years old.

But Captain EO is 23 years old this year.

FYI, the Disney Archives up in Burbank have everything, from films to 1920's Mickey Mouse watches to 1950's Disneyland tickets to 1960's Blue Bayou menus to polyester jumpsuits worn in 1982 by Epcot Center hostesses. They keep a piece of everything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom