Pre-Trip Are We Really Doing This??? A Quick B-Day Trip & MNSSHP

Hello Friends,

Although I am still trying to complete my DCL trip report, I am back again because we just decided that WDW needs more of our money. So, so start i'll give you the who, what, when, where, and why.

The Who: Me (JoAnna), my sister (Halie), and the birthday girl (Gracie).

The What: A quick weekend trip to celebrate Gracie's 8th birthday. This is her second time celebrating her birthday at the World. Last time was her first ever trip for her 5th birthday.

The When: September 14-16. This is the latest I have ever booked a trip prior to arrival. Usually our trips takes many months to plan, but not this time. We are 71 days away.

The Where: Disney All Star Sports. It was the only value available, and since this is just a quick trip, the resort isn't really a problem. We were able to get the room only 25% discount, making it only $107 a night. Even with parking fees included, it ended up being cheaper than staying off-site.

The Why: Because I find it easier to go on trips than plan birthday parties. To be honest, every year I ask Gracie if she would rather have a birthday party and invite her friends from school, or go somewhere fun. With her birthday being in September, it's hard for me to get to know her classmates parents by the time we need to send out invites. Since birthday invitations in class aren't allowed due favoritism (although I have always invited everyone), corralling friends is a pain. So although I spend a little more money on getaways, it saves me the hassle of getting a cake, invitations, decorations, and renting out a space (we have a garden style home that isn't big enough to accommodate more than a couple of running children so I usually rent a pavilion at our local park).

We recently came back from a weekend trip to Gatlinburg where we did Dollywood and Dollywood Splash Country. She was tall enough to ride most of the rides, and rode probably the most thrilling coaster that she has ever ridden. On our drive home she said that she wanted to go to Dollywood again for her birthday. So after some thinking and pricing, there was only a $100 difference in Gatlinburg vs. Orlando. I asked her if instead of Gatlinburg, we drove down to Orlando and did MNSSHP. We have been wanting to do this forever, but won't have the opportunity for the next few years. Of course she chose Disney.

Here is the plan:
Drive down early Friday morning with plans to arrive at the hotel around 2. Change into party clothes and head to the park so we can get in at 4. Get our party on! I'm especially excited about the parade and the Sanderson Sisters show. We are planning to shut the party down when it closes at midnight.

The next day we will sleep in, which is usually 8 a.m. to us, especially on vacation. I decided that it would be fun to have a character breakfast this day since we aren't in a rush and won't have any park time other than the party. I asked Gracie if she wanted to do 1900 PF or Cape May. Since the food is pretty much the same, I told her which characters were at which buffet, and she chose Cape May Cafe. So, now we have a 10 a.m. reservation for Cape May at the BC. I am actually pretty pumped about this because when we do our trip next year, we are going to be staying at BC or BW so I will get a chance to check out the area!

Following breakfast we will probably head back to the resort and swim for awhile. We may go do some mini-golf or something to kill time. We usually dont have complete free days while at Disney, so it will be fun to just take our time. I asked Gracie where she would like to go for her "birthday dinner" and she chose T-Rex at Disney Springs. I figured she would choose Toothsome at UNI since we had such a great experience last time, but she went with T-Rex. I am going to take some advice given by some other posters and enroll in Landry's Select Club. This way I wont have to make a reservation and we can take our time getting there.

Sunday we will probably get up and do some swimming before checking out and heading home. I am super stoked about this trip, especially since it's coming up so soon.

I have asked on another forum, but if anyone could give me advice on room request for All-Stars Sports it would be greatly appreciated. Im

MomofPrincessGrace

Original Poster
Great Plans! My family and I will be down there at the same time and going to the MNSSHP on the 16th! Have a great time!!
You too! I am super excited, especially about the Boo to You Parade. TBH, any time that we can be in MK without hoards or crowds im excited! This will be our first "upcharge" type event, excluding a tour we did last trip. I am kinda excited though about being about to enjoy the weekend without being a park commando.

MomofPrincessGrace

Original Poster
So I need advice. I currently have Sunday Brunch booked at Homecomin, but I am second guessing that reservation. Although the food has rave reviews, being from Alabama, there are so many fried chicken joints around here that have similar food. Does anyone else have recommendations for an early lunch on the Sunday we leave? It would need to be either at Disney Springs or at one of the resorts. We had lunch at the GF Cafe earlier this year and it was amazing, but I kinda want to try something else. Maybe Whispering Canyon or Planet Hollywood? Somewhere that is kid friendly and not too expensive since we will be doing Cape May and T-Rex on Saturday.

ScarletBegonias

So I need advice. I currently have Sunday Brunch booked at Homecomin, but I am second guessing that reservation. Although the food has rave reviews, being from Alabama, there are so many fried chicken joints around here that have similar food. Does anyone else have recommendations for an early lunch on the Sunday we leave? It would need to be either at Disney Springs or at one of the resorts. We had lunch at the GF Cafe earlier this year and it was amazing, but I kinda want to try something else. Maybe Whispering Canyon or Planet Hollywood? Somewhere that is kid friendly and not too expensive since we will be doing Cape May and T-Rex on Saturday.
I wish I could help but I am DYING to try out Homecomin'

MomofPrincessGrace

Original Poster
So I was thinking about doing something extra special for her birthday. I considered the Hallowishes dessert party, but then decided that I would put together a basket from Disney Floral to have delivered on Saturday. Does anyone know about what time the deliveries are made to the rooms?

MomofPrincessGrace

Original Poster
So, we aren't too far away now and there have been some major changes. So our original plan was to drive down Friday morning with the party entry at 4. The drive takes about 8 hours, so we would need to leave super early. I decided to check on flights to see what our options are. I havent flown in 20 years and my daughter and sister never have. I found awesome rates for $50 pp each way from ATL to MCO. Our flight leaves out at 12:15 p.m. and should arrive in Orlando at 1:48 p.m. The only thing is now we will fly in on Thursday so we will need a hotel for Thursday night. I was looking around at the Priceline mystery deals, but didnt see any that I liked. That is when it happens......

I BOOKED AKL KINDANI VILLAS FOR THURSDAY NIGHT!!!!!!

I booked it through Priceline and for $300 tax and all we have a deluxe studio. I am BEYOND excited. And since we wont be driving, we dont have to worry about parking fees. Now I need AKL tips. Gracie loves the pool, so we will probably be spending a ton of time there. Anything else that we shouldnt miss while we are there?

Billy6

So, we aren't too far away now and there have been some major changes. So our original plan was to drive down Friday morning with the party entry at 4. The drive takes about 8 hours, so we would need to leave super early. I decided to check on flights to see what our options are. I havent flown in 20 years and my daughter and sister never have. I found awesome rates for $50 pp each way from ATL to MCO. Our flight leaves out at 12:15 p.m. and should arrive in Orlando at 1:48 p.m. The only thing is now we will fly in on Thursday so we will need a hotel for Thursday night. I was looking around at the Priceline mystery deals, but didnt see any that I liked. That is when it happens......

I BOOKED AKL KINDANI VILLAS FOR THURSDAY NIGHT!!!!!!

I booked it through Priceline and for $300 tax and all we have a deluxe studio. I am BEYOND excited. And since we wont be driving, we dont have to worry about parking fees. Now I need AKL tips. Gracie loves the pool, so we will probably be spending a ton of time there. Anything else that we shouldnt miss while we are there?

The pool here is great and they have fun games and things..great pool bar too... Don't forget to go see the Savannahs. The main one still does the night vision goggles to see the animals at night.

MomofPrincessGrace

Original Poster
So I have made yet another change. This is what happens with idle time. I decided to upgrade us from All Star Sports to POR. We stayed at POR last year and had a great time, but we didnt really have time to enjoy all of the amenities that POR had to offer. Because Saturday will be a complete down day (with the exception of breakfast at Cape May and mini golf) I thought this would be great. We will be able to utilize the boat to DS and both pools at POR and POFQ. I did book a preferred room though, because the walk from our room last year to the pool/food court/ amenities was just too long (albeit beautiful and serene). All in all the change cost about an extra $250, but I think it will be worth it! 31 days to go!

MomofPrincessGrace

Original Poster
This time next week we will be *hopefully* boarding our plane to the World. Our plan on arrival day was just to spend time at AKL and relax. I hadn't really thought of what we would do for dinner, but I didn't want to do a QS for our first night. I was looking at available ADRs trying to decide if we wanted to maybe to a character meal when I came across the Pirates & Pals Fireworks Voyage. Without hesitation I booked it (and it only ended up being about $50 total more than what we would have spent on a character meal). It doesnt include dinner, but it does include a all-you-can-snack table, which is fine by us. Gracie is going to be a pirate for halloween anyway so I thought this would be perfect. I am going to keep this as a surprise and not tell her what we are doing until we are on our way to the Contemporary. She loved meeting Capt. Hook on your cruise earlier this year and the interaction was SO fun, so I am hoping this one is just as great. One more week!

MegRuss626

This time next week we will be *hopefully* boarding our plane to the World. Our plan on arrival day was just to spend time at AKL and relax. I hadn't really thought of what we would do for dinner, but I didn't want to do a QS for our first night. I was looking at available ADRs trying to decide if we wanted to maybe to a character meal when I came across the Pirates & Pals Fireworks Voyage. Without hesitation I booked it (and it only ended up being about $50 total more than what we would have spent on a character meal). It doesnt include dinner, but it does include a all-you-can-snack table, which is fine by us. Gracie is going to be a pirate for halloween anyway so I thought this would be perfect. I am going to keep this as a surprise and not tell her what we are doing until we are on our way to the Contemporary. She loved meeting Capt. Hook on your cruise earlier this year and the interaction was SO fun, so I am hoping this one is just as great. One more week!

Since you’re staying at Kidani, if you want a fun snack before your pirate thing, def go to Sanaa and get the bread service!

ELeigh

I think we might do D-Luxe burger instead of a table service like originally planned. Its cheaper, which means more money for milkshakes for sundaes at Ghiradelli :hungry:
Yes do d-luxe burger! I found the burgers to be table service quality and if you arrive on earlier side of lunch you should be able to snag a seat with a water view outside :)

MomofPrincessGrace

Original Poster
It's almost that time! This time tomorrow we will be at the Atlanta airport preparing for our flight!

This day, 8 years ago the sunshine of my life was born. She is my heart personified and I am so lucky to have such a sweet, kind, loving, amazing kid to call my own. Okay, enough of the sappy mom thoughts :inlove:

We have our bags packed and are ready to go! T-Minus 25 hours until the vacation begins!

ELeigh

It's almost that time! This time tomorrow we will be at the Atlanta airport preparing for our flight!

This day, 8 years ago the sunshine of my life was born. She is my heart personified and I am so lucky to have such a sweet, kind, loving, amazing kid to call my own. Okay, enough of the sappy mom thoughts :inlove:

We have our bags packed and are ready to go! T-Minus 25 hours until the vacation begins!
Have a blast and happy birthday to the princess!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom