Are these Disneyland matchbooks circa 1980-82?

Miami Blues

Original Poster
Hey, please take a look at these. Yeah, that's our last name. My wife just found them in a box of matchbooks she's been saving since we first went together to WDW in 1978 and DL in 1980. Whatever place or restaurant we made these reservations at also made us personalized matchbooks. Any idea where they're from? Pretty sure they're from a Disney restaurant at Disneyland Hotel, 1980-1982...but we can't remember where or when! Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!
matches.jpg

Quote Reply

TP2000

Hey, please take a look at these. Yeah, that's our last name. My wife just found them in a box of matchbooks she's been saving since we first went together to WDW in 1978 and DL in 1980. Whatever place or restaurant we made these reservations at also made us personalized matchbooks. Any idea where they're from? Pretty sure they're from a Disney restaurant at Disneyland Hotel, 1980-1982...but we can't remember where or when! Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!
matches.jpg

Quote Reply

I would think any of the fancy restaurants at the Disneyland Hotel would have branded their matchbooks somehow with the Disneyland Hotel logo. And the color scheme for the Disneyland Hotel branding from the 1950's into the 1980's almost always involved a dark shade of blue.

Vintage-Matchbook-DISNEYLAND-HOTEL-AND-RESTAURANT.jpg

4063114fa72867271c46bd0ab96541d9.jpg

Your matchbooks appear to have no Disneyland Hotel branding, but do have your name on them, as fine dining restaurants used to do into the 1980's before smoking went away indoors. I remember some swanky hotels used to personalize matchbooks in your room, but again I also remember those types of matchbooks being branded with the hotel name.

The color scheme of these matchbooks strikes me as familiar though. I wonder, did you maybe dine at The Hobbit in nearby Orange? It's a famous fine dining French restaurant that's been there since the 1960's. Although the personalized matchbooks are long gone, The Hobbit is still there and still very fancy. Does that ring a bell? http://www.hobbitrestaurant.com/

Phroobar

I remember my parents used to save matchbooks from the fancy places they went. They kept them in a fancy vase up high so us kids couldn't start lighting them and burn down the house. I guess that was kind of a 60's thing to do. Very mod.

Phroobar

The color scheme of these matchbooks strikes me as familiar though. I wonder, did you maybe dine at The Hobbit in nearby Orange? It's a famous fine dining French restaurant that's been there since the 1960's. Although the personalized matchbooks are long gone, The Hobbit is still there and still very fancy. Does that ring a bell? http://www.hobbitrestaurant.com/

Wow! So that is where you eat dinner. That place makes Club 33 look like Pizza Planet.

Stevek

matches.jpg

Quote Reply
I'd read out to Don Ballard who is the foremost authority on the Disneyland Hotel.

donballard@comcast.net

Believe he's pretty active on facebook.

Stevek

I would think any of the fancy restaurants at the Disneyland Hotel would have branded their matchbooks somehow with the Disneyland Hotel logo. And the color scheme for the Disneyland Hotel branding from the 1950's into the 1980's almost always involved a dark shade of blue.

Vintage-Matchbook-DISNEYLAND-HOTEL-AND-RESTAURANT.jpg

4063114fa72867271c46bd0ab96541d9.jpg

Your matchbooks appear to have no Disneyland Hotel branding, but do have your name on them, as fine dining restaurants used to do into the 1980's before smoking went away indoors. I remember some swanky hotels used to personalize matchbooks in your room, but again I also remember those types of matchbooks being branded with the hotel name.

Right Next to Johnny Rebs...which I believe had been closed for a bit but burned down in July?

Phroobar

Anyone remember the Fish Shanty on La Cienega in Los Angeles? I remember as a kid wanting to stop there and hide under the whale's fins or go inside it's mouth. I guess it is now luxury apartments and a Trader Joe's.

TwoOutsideWhale.jpg

Here is the matchbook from it to stay on topic.

Fish-Shanty-Matches.jpg

Stevek

Anyone remember the Fish Shanty on La Cienega in Los Angeles? I remember as a kid wanting to stop there and hide under the whale's fins or go inside it's mouth. I guess it is now luxury apartments and a Trader Joe's.

TwoOutsideWhale.jpg

Fish-Shanty-Matches.jpg
Themed restaurants really need to make a comeback. I guess that's why I love my tiki bars.

SSG

TwoOutsideWhale.jpg

Fish-Shanty-Matches.jpg
The Smiths also ran the very un-PC Indian Village restaurant, with its native American theme. The employees wore buckskin outfits and the menu listed alcoholic drinks under the heading “Firewater,” and had prices listed in “Wampum.” Wouldn't have happened today.

SmithBrosIndianVillage-Menu-FrontCover-810x1024.jpg

Phroobar

I miss Victoria Station at Universal Studios Hollywood. It was a trip to eat in the trains and the prime rib was great.

victoria-station-restaurant-bar-universal-studios-universal-city-los-C72DH5.jpg

They had a trolley that took you from the parking lot to the restaurant. Here is it's matchbook.

s-l300.jpg

Then it was turned into a photo processing and the Dracula' castle walk thru. Now it is demoed into other buildings. One if them held the Walking Dead maze.
CzAfongHGSDjuOWXWTluy04dM3gHHoPTr9JGQi6sKCshoqx_-xPBYcEaIyKrJBtmDmOQyGPtPtTwWnR83L2S-QP5PtN-X6oxBuvZxHMc6-38efVdjT3T9UWv4fQ6C6304Gbnvp0

Stevek

I miss Victoria Station at Universal Studios Hollywood. It was a trip to eat in the trains and the prime rib was great.

victoria-station-restaurant-bar-universal-studios-universal-city-los-C72DH5.jpg

They had a trolley that took you from the parking lot to the restaurant. Here is it's matchbook.

s-l300.jpg

Then it was turned into a photo processing and the Dracula' castle walk thru. Now it is demoed into other buildings. One if them held the Walking Dead maze.
CzAfongHGSDjuOWXWTluy04dM3gHHoPTr9JGQi6sKCshoqx_-xPBYcEaIyKrJBtmDmOQyGPtPtTwWnR83L2S-QP5PtN-X6oxBuvZxHMc6-38efVdjT3T9UWv4fQ6C6304Gbnvp0

I remember the old Victoria Station restaurants that were made out of boxcars.

1598474598896.png

TP2000

TwoOutsideWhale.jpg

Oh, wow! I'd never heard of that place, and now I'm sad I missed it. It looks fantastic.

TP2000

The Smiths also ran the very un-PC Indian Village restaurant, with its native American theme. The employees wore buckskin outfits and the menu listed alcoholic drinks under the heading “Firewater,” and had prices listed in “Wampum.” Wouldn't have happened today.

View attachment 493183

That's hysterical! 🤣

But yet another place I don't remember. It sounds like the Smith Brothers outfit ran several of these high concept restaurants on the west side of Los Angeles.

I wonder if they ever had a location in OC? A shame they couldn't have scooped up some property on Harbor Blvd. in the 1950's near Disneyland, as their style of dining would have fit well with Anaheim circa 1960's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom