Are These Attractions Better at Day or Night?

Are These Attractions Better at Day or Night?

• Pirates of the Caribbean - DAY

• Pirates of the Caribbean - NIGHT

• Haunted Mansion - DAY

• Haunted Mansion - NIGHT

• Splash Mountain - DAY

• Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - DAY

• Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - NIGHT

• Matterhorn - DAY

• Matterhorn - Night

• Splash Mountain - NIGHT

Results are only viewable after voting.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Over on my WDW trip planning thread I asked which WDW attractions were better at day or night. Got me wondering what people thought about the DLR attractions I do have experience with. I don't think I'll be able to vote so mine are....

POTC - DAY
HM- DAY
Splash Mountain - DAY
BTMRR - NIGHT
Matterhorn - NIGHT but not by a landslide like BTMRR

I was going to include more attractions but I ran out of room. I might do another one with other attractions like Casey Jr. etc...

EDIT: OOPS, just realized I forgot to put Splash Mountain at NIGHT as an option. Just added it... but it is the last selection as Im unable to edit the other choices.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
The question may seem silly in how it pertains to indoor rides but besides the fact that your eyes haven't adjusted to the dark making the ride experience better during the day (IMO) the atmosphere and mood are different in the queues. When it comes to Splash Mountain my choice has more to do with the mood/ atmosphere during the day and much less to do with the fact that its more pleasant/ less annoying to get wet during the day.

D.Silentu

The question may seem silly in how it pertains to indoor rides but besides the fact that your eyes haven't adjusted to the dark making the ride experience better during the day (IMO) the atmosphere and mood are different in the queues.
The light adjustment is why I picked day for many rides. It adds to the feeling of being swept away when you step out of the afternoon sun into a cool evening bayou. However, for whatever reason the park just looks so neat from the perspective of night time Matterhorn rides.

mickEblu

Original Poster
The light adjustment is why I picked day for many rides. It adds to the feeling of being swept away when you step out of the afternoon sun into a cool evening bayou. However, for whatever reason the park just looks so neat from the perspective of night time Matterhorn rides.

I agree. Much more unique.

mickEblu

Original Poster
OOPS, just realized I forgot to put Splash Mountain at NIGHT as an option. Just added it... but it is the last selection as Im unable to edit the other choices. Guess nobody that has voted yet prefers Splash at night

@D.Silentu and @Homemade Imagineering , you don't happen to prefer Splash Mountain at night do you?

Last edited:

D.Silentu

I was just going to mention that as I do find merit in riding Splash at night. Most evenings there's hardly any line at all, though it does present the risk of getting soaked after the sun goes down. Once my friends and I had a motel near the park and chose Splash as our last ride of the night, as we had only a moderate walk to dry clothing. We ended up riding four times in a row and were drenched thoroughly. Once we got back to the room we had to flip coins to see who had first dibs on a hot shower.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

I find that all indoor Attractions such as 'Pirates' and 'Mansion' appear better in the evening.
The darker settings inside can be better appreciated in full when ones eyes are already adjusted to the lower light levels from being in the Park at night time.
Your eyes are already adjusted and you will be able to see more of what is on display.
All 'dark rides' in general are better during the evening....in my opinion.
'Mansion' in particular....for obvious reasons.

For Attactions primarily outside, my vote is for experiencing them in BOTH daylight and evening hours -
Daylight hours for the better view the setting / details / overall visual scope, and also again in the evening for 'thril factor' / different appearing setting / ambiant lighting enhancements.
The two examples listed perfectly reflect this - both 'BTMR' and 'Splash Mountain' are absolute must dos both during the day and evening.
Two very different and rewarding experiences.

:)

-

Last edited:

Practical Pig

Pirates in the day for the transition from a bright and often hot daytime exterior world into the twilight coolness of the bayou. The feeling this inspires is is my strongest nostalgic attachment to Disneyland.

Haunted Mansion at night, because nighttime is the typical realm of our spirit fantasies.

Splash during the day because I want to dry faster.

Big Thunder and Matterhorn at night during the outdoor portions because in general I like the park at night more than in the daylight. We get to experience the work of the lighting designers on the outdoor attractions that is obliterated during the day by our closest star.

Interesting subject to raise during this strange time. Kudos.

Edited to correct a typo.

Last edited:

D.Silentu

Lighting keeps coming up as a factor for many and it influenced my vote as well. While I would ride Pirates or Mansion at any time, I think it's a benefit to have my eyes unadjusted to the dim so the theatrical lighting better directs my attention.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Lighting keeps coming up as a factor for many and it influenced my vote as well. While I would ride Pirates or Mansion at any time, I think it's a benefit to have my eyes unadjusted to the dim so the theatrical lighting better directs my attention.

I’m really surprised to see the large majority (so far) prefer Mansion at night. Can someone explain? Is it just because it’s “spookier?”

waltography

Pirates, Splash, and Matterhorn I don't really mind either way, but prefer them during the day for logistical reasons. Matterhorn especially because the view of the park during the day is so nice.

I love Mansion during the day. I think here's something about traveling through the liminal space of the queue that adds an eeriness to the attraction, almost like time doesn't work once you step foot into it. I like how the entrance hall and stretching room are the first places we experience while our eyes adjust to the darkness, and by the time we leave and enter the portrait gallery, it's already night outside.

Big Thunder is a night ride all the way - bonus points if you can time it to the fireworks, best view in the park.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Pirates, Splash, and Matterhorn I don't really mind either way, but prefer them during the day for logistical reasons. Matterhorn especially because the view of the park during the day is so nice.

I love Mansion during the day. I think here's something about traveling through the liminal space of the queue that adds an eeriness to the attraction, almost like time doesn't work once you step foot into it. I like how the entrance hall and stretching room are the first places we experience while our eyes adjust to the darkness, and by the time we leave and enter the portrait gallery, it's already night outside.

Big Thunder is a night ride all the way - bonus points if you can time it to the fireworks, best view in the park.

Thunder Mountain at night during fireworks, back row, goat trick is the holy grail.

PiratesMansion

For me, the only ride that is clearly better at night (other than HM, which just feels right to do at night) is Big Thunder.

It's a more theatrical experience and details stand out more clearly because of how they are lit, whereas during the daytime it's easier for all the scenery to blur together and fade into the background.

For whatever reason, I don't feel nearly as strong a preference about most of the other rides.

mickEblu

Original Poster
For me, the only ride that is clearly better at night (other than HM, which just feels right to do at night) is Big Thunder.

It's a more theatrical experience and details stand out more clearly because of how they are lit, whereas during the daytime it's easier for all the scenery to blur together and fade into the background.

For whatever reason, I don't feel nearly as strong a preference about most of the other rides.

Agree except for HM being better at night

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

PIRATES- Always a fun time day or night but I Prefer the day because it always shocks me when I COME up the waterfall into the blue bayou which is at night always then the sunlights quickly comes in from the windows and amazes me that this ride took place at night but i actually rode it in the day. it sells the illusion of the ride better when i come back to reality of the daylight that disney made me belileve it was actually night time.

Mansion- great day or night but I PREFER night for several reasons- 1 being the reason i picked for Pirates. Realizing it is still day time always amazes me and the frist time i rode it as a kid i was scared of the ride and the sunglight made me feel safe again.
2. if you go during fireworks or FANTASMIC! You have the place to yourself. you can go on it multiple times. actually hear the stretching room script. and usually ride it all the way through with very little or no stops.

matterhorn- i picked day because i have never ridden it at night so i can't compare the two.

splash-only been on it during the day when its hot. so cant compare it to night.

Big Thunder- Night during the fireworks. no lines. can go on it multiple times and you can see the fireworks on the ride and it is awesome.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

This^^^^^^^ 100%

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom