Are there any rumors or information about the return of runDisney events?

pdude81

Original Poster
Typically by now we'd be able to register for the WDW marathon and they haven't even announced whether or not there will be a Wine and Dine race this year. I've followed the few threads in the running forum but I'm stunned by the lack of information on these fronts.

Just fishing here, but I'm hoping for some information to help figure out if it's worth keeping a reservation for January when I could be using those points elsewhere. I imagine chances are dim for Wind and Dine, although they'd still sell out the race if they put it on the schedule tomorrow. I appreciate any information or cryptic clues you can share.

GimpYancIent

With you buddy! run Disney LIVE on property events bring in a lot of guests with estimates running (no pun intended) in the vicinity of 80,000 or so per event (that's with the number of registered participants restricted). Keep in mind it's generally not just the participants (runners) but family and friends that accompany the participants. True there's coordination, support and logistics for Disney to handle, but, THAT's WHAT DISNEY DOES! The virtual events run Disney is currently surviving on brings in money but in no way replace the full on, on property, LIVE events. Due to the hours the run Disney events occur I do not see any negative impact to any park rather early arriving non race participant guests get a kick out of cheering the runners on. So yea! If Disney wants $$$$$$ get run Disney LIVE on property events scheduled, up and running.

pdude81

Original Poster
2022 last I’d heard. They want the Marathon. I don’t think we make 2021 Wine and Dine.

If the plan holds, will be an announcement of all 2022 events, including some changes.
Thanks. Any rough timeframe for when they might put out a schedule? I saw a post elsewhere that indicated people would have to start their training this week to be able to use the Galloway training plans for the Goofy/Dopey.

ToTBellHop

Thanks. Any rough timeframe for when they might put out a schedule? I saw a post elsewhere that indicated people would have to start their training this week to be able to use the Galloway training plans for the Goofy/Dopey.
I presume it will be a delayed announcement. They are not yet ready to announce events with 10s of thousands of people. Obviously, if they aren’t prepared to announce in the next few months, Marathon Weekend can’t happen. So it is a case of “yes, we want to do this, but it isn’t set in stone.”

GimpYancIent

I have no idea about anyone else me, myself and I continuously train regardless of race schedules then when a decision is made to participate in a LIVE event any train up specific to that event is easier. Jeff Galloways methods are excellent long term training regimens.

GimpYancIent

I presume it will be a delayed announcement. They are not yet ready to announce events with 10s of thousands of people. Obviously, if they aren’t prepared to announce in the next few months, Marathon Weekend can’t happen. So it is a case of “yes, we want to do this, but it isn’t set in stone.”
If Boo Bash can happen! Why not run Disney LIVE events? If anything it's healthy, calorie burning, interactive, fun activity. Hey! Runners actually go on rides and still complete the courses within prescribed times. It's not that there is no experience on how to conduct these events. If the New York Road Runners club can do the NY Marathon in November, if the Marine Corps Marathon organization can do the MCM in DC in October, Disney can at least do the WDW Marathon week in January 2022. Not publishing a schedule of run Disney events for 2021 - 2022 is not a productive corporate decision (probably made by out of shape executives).

ToTBellHop

If Boo Bash can happen! Why not run Disney LIVE events? If anything it's healthy, calorie burning, interactive, fun activity. Hey! Runners actually go on rides and still complete the courses within prescribed times. It's not that there is no experience on how to conduct these events. If the New York Road Runners club can do the NY Marathon in November, if the Marine Corps Marathon organization can do the MCM in DC in October, Disney can at least do the WDW Marathon week in January 2022.
Several thousand people spread around MK are a bit different than 22k people smooshed together in corrals.

pdude81

Original Poster
I have no idea about anyone else me, myself and I continuously train regardless of race schedules then when a decision is made to participate in a LIVE event any train up specific to that event is easier. Jeff Galloways methods are excellent long term training regimens.
I need to pay for races to force me to occasionally train. Otherwise it never seems like a priority.

GimpYancIent

Several thousand people spread around MK are a bit different than 22k people smooshed together in corrals.
Uhhhh yea. The whole social distance thing is fast becoming irrelevant by event time, if the schedule comes out now, will mean nothing. Healthy people, outdoors briefly grouped together (corrals) to start an event is all part of the experience (exhilarating). You bragged about being a scientist, well, follow the science like the other major athletic event organizations have.

GimpYancIent

I need to pay for races to force me to occasionally train. Otherwise it never seems like a priority.
Got it. Everyone has different motivators. Speaking strictly for myself I find completing a course / distance be it an actual formal event closed course or a distance goal I set for myself very satisfying and motivational to want to do more. You do you and I wish you good health.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

Uhhhh yea. The whole social distance thing is fast becoming irrelevant by event time, if the schedule comes out now, will mean nothing. Healthy people, outdoors briefly grouped together (corrals) to start an event is all part of the experience (exhilarating). You bragged about being a scientist, well, follow the science like the other major athletic event organizations have.
Briefly? Maybe if you're in corral A. The later ones can easily wait over an hour after the official start time.

ToTBellHop

I don’t make the decisions and I wasn’t bragging. It’s a fact. I’m also a man with brown eyes. Apologies to those with gray eyes.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
ESPN WWOS has many upcoming events listed (but none for RD yet) and one that falls usually after W&D weekend in Special Olympics Fall Classic. They haven't posted a date yet for the Fall Classic, but this is promising that WDW is holding big sporting events again.

Rteetz

I’m not sure they can wait a few more months in terms of marathon weekend. People need to train. The latest they’ve ever held registration for marathon weekend is July. They could maybe hold until August at the very latest but you just can’t hold it past that. This isn’t a dessert party or something.

Lilofan

Typically by now we'd be able to register for the WDW marathon and they haven't even announced whether or not there will be a Wine and Dine race this year. I've followed the few threads in the running forum but I'm stunned by the lack of information on these fronts.

Just fishing here, but I'm hoping for some information to help figure out if it's worth keeping a reservation for January when I could be using those points elsewhere. I imagine chances are dim for Wind and Dine, although they'd still sell out the race if they put it on the schedule tomorrow. I appreciate any information or cryptic clues you can share.
When Disney had its layoffs, RunDisney was surely impacted.

ToTBellHop

I’m not sure they can wait a few more months in terms of marathon weekend. People need to train. The latest they’ve ever held registration for marathon weekend is July. They could maybe hold until August at the very latest but you just can’t hold it past that. This isn’t a dessert party or something.
True. Admittedly, the only marathon I’ve ever completed was 26.2 Oreos in one evening. I don’t do more than a 10k, which doesn’t require a ton of training.

Rteetz

True. Admittedly, the only marathon I’ve ever completed was 26.2 Oreos in one evening. I don’t do more than a 10k, which doesn’t require a ton of training.
I’ve done 25 RunDisney events in person. I’m dying for them to come back. However with each day my optimism falls even more. I even tried to get Faron Kelly the Disney Sports President to do an interview and got nothing back.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I’ve done 25 RunDisney events in person. I’m dying for them to come back. However with each day my optimism falls even more. I even tried to get Faron Kelly the Disney Sports President to do an interview and got nothing back.
Have you or any called the number they have listed? (407) 939-iRUN or (407) 939-4786.
Wondering if talking to a person over the phone, if they'll provide any more substance than the "we haven't announced the 2021-2022 race calendar yet."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom