Are the parks getting dirtier?

nelsonj3

Original Poster
I hate to start a negative thread, but I've noticed lately that the parks have been dirtier lately, especially MK. We moved down to Central Florida in 2008, and we've been going to the parks at least a couple times every month since then. (We started going when I was about 5 years old in 1984). Anyway, up until this last few months, the parks were always impeccably clean.

We were at the parks several times last week because family was in town, and all of us noticed that the parks were more dirty as a whole than we'd every seen them before. I'm not just talking about the normal issues of trash on the ground after the parades or fireworks (which used to be quickly cleaned up by an army of CM's after each event). I'm talking about trash just lying around the parks in several places and not being cleaned up very well at all. We were in the new Peter Pan Queue, and it was disgusting how much trash was on the ground. I know that area is usually crowded, making trash pickup difficult, but while we were waiting, a CM did come through with a broom and dust pan. However, she only swept up about half of the trash on the ground before she gave up and left. It was bizarre.

We also noticed several times in Tomorrowland where there was a lot of trash lying around by the TTA and Astro Orbiter Queue Areas. I actually wanted to stop at Guest Services and let them know that we've noticed that this has been getting worse lately. However, the line was long, and we were all pretty tired by the time we left. Next time I go by myself though, I'll have to stop in and make a comment. This used to be an area where Disney excelled far above other parks. They need to get back to this. I hope they haven't cut their custodial budget with these record crowds at the parks.

Bairstow

It's busier right now. More people=more trash. We usually hear reports like this during the summer months.

I concur.
I was in the parks last week and didn't notice any issues with trash or grime.
Custodial CMs were as visible as ever, but there's never a way for them to be everywhere at all times during peak season, especially in an indoor queue.

wendysue

I noticed last year that, for some reason, it seems really hard for many people to actually walk 5 steps to a trash can. Not just WDW, but alot of places. I don't get what is so hard about cleaning up after yourself. Someone actually changed her child's diaper in the line at the Haunted Mansion and just left the dirty diaper next to the wall. If you ask someone to please put their trash in the can, they look at you like you have 3 eyes...

nelsonj3

Original Poster
I concur.
I was in the parks last week and didn't notice any issues with trash or grime.
Custodial CMs were as visible as ever, but there's never a way for them to be everywhere at all times during peak season, especially in an indoor queue.
I guess I've just never noticed an issue with it before. As far as the indoor queue goes, my issue was that there was a CM in the Queue cleaning, but she gave up pretty quickly, even though everyone was being very polite and moving so that she could do her work.

However, I totally agree that guests should just clean up after themselves anyway. It frustrates me in other places too.

rct247

I agree and it is a combination of factors:
  • Guests litter more, pick up after themselves less, and are messier.
  • There are more Guests than ever before, especially at Magic Kingdom.
  • Custodial has two issues one being more time spent on just emptying the ever filling trash cans and less on sweeping and the second being that there are a portion of custodial works (as with all workforces Disney or not) that are lazy and perform at their minimum. I feel I can also say that after being a custodian in the past too.
  • Responsibilities have changed. It is my understanding that attractions/operations are responsible for their queues except for their trash cans which are still handled by custodial. Custodial has the streets and restrooms to focus on. So many queue lines, which are hard to get to sometimes, are trashed.

DHoy

From my experience in ops I can share about custodial.

1. Queues belong to operations not custodial and it is up to operations to keep them clean so if the park is busy and they're focusing on all the ops roles with no cast to spare unfortunately queues go uncleaned. The only exception is code v, and code brown or bbp custodial will need to respond to those.

2. Guests, all trash on ground is created by lazy guest refusing to walk 5ft to a trash can.

3. Inclement weather, during lighting when outdoor attractions are closed. Custodial also is down due to their interaction with metal containers being "unsafe"

4. Courtesy, custodial is required to wear trading pins and such their duties are impeded by guest interactions, slowing their response.

DHoy

• Custodial has two issues one being more time spent on just emptying the ever filling trash cans and less on sweeping and the second being that there are a portion of custodial works (as with all workforces Disney or not) that are lazy and perform at their minimum. I feel I can also say that after being a custodian in the past too.
  • Responsibilities have changed. It is my understanding that attractions/operations are responsible for their queues except for their trash cans which are still handled by custodial. Custodial has the streets and restrooms to focus on. So many queue lines, which are hard to get to sometimes, are trashed.
Just saw your post after I commented, it's true that queues and attraction areas belong to operations not custodial.

Thus to clean a queue during peak times you may need to use a cm to travel a queue for 45 minutes that ops would rather put In a position that would assist in efficiency and mitigate those guest caused events that would cause the ride to decrease capacity.

Tom Morrow

Yep.

One of my biggest pet peeves at WDW is walking through a queue and seeing trash everywhere. Custodial mostly only enters the queues during the day to empty trash bins. That attraction's CM's are supposed to be responsible for cleaning the queue. The problem is, cleaning tasks are only assigned if the attraction is over-staffed and they are only 15 minutes long before that CM has to get a new assignment. Many CM's choose to just sit in the break room instead.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom