Are smart phones essential at the parks?

Ldno

I like to point out that i am also there at rope drop until park closure. battery packs help mitigate the fact that we also don’t know the type of phone the OP and their battery life, so we never know, plus the age of the phone and battery could effect their drainage even faster especially older phones, charging stations are “stationary” and i like to be on the go, time at the parks is precious, but even if you plan using the phone minimally to use it for Rotr you have be aggressive with the boarding groups.

Even then this was back in march with getting boarding groups then, i am sure you can get it on more than twice in one day since it’s not crowded. i am also the type of the user who records ride videos and check for ride updates constantly, i know the OP doesn’t like technology but we have to use the wdw app for food reservations since nothing is walk on and is required to order food, photopass and ride updates. heck even if you are lost and need a restroom find real fast the app can help you find the nearest time.

needed a photopass location or know which character meet and greet was there? parade times, fireworks, This was before the closure so it shouldn’t be a massive issue, i cannot speak for the changes before their closures, but you know it was bad when they were or still are pushing for us to use everything in the upcoming Genie app.

i am just saying the app has a lot of perks, maps, locations to stores, you can skip the front desk at a resort and check into the hotel before setting foot at the resort and use it to open the door, restrooms, restaurants mobile orders, you can add your park tickets and never worry about leaving them somwhere, plus with kids the play disney apps keeps them busy while in queue. Just examples and it can be overwhelming for a lot of visitors, when i was there 2012 and went back in 2017 the changes they made for the app were too drastic i missed out on the upgraded fastpass system thinking i could get them every 1.5 hours like back in the day, ever since then never again but hahaha

but it’s way different now where the app might not even needed so i don’t know, but i like to err on the cautious side

robhedin

Even then this was back in march with getting boarding groups then, i am sure you can get it on more than twice in one day since it’s not crowded.
If you're saying that RotR can be ridden more than twice a day *now*, that's not true. Boarding groups are still "selling out" in seconds preventing many from getting one; even though they're opening boarding groups twice a day, they still only allow each person to have at most one BG each day so as to maximize the number of people who can potentially ride.

If you want to ride RotR, a smart phone is pretty much a must at the moment. Otherwise I find it pretty much optional (although mobile food ordering is helpful).

dave&di

Original Poster
Just turn off mobile data and then use Disney's WiFi. Unless you are on the Three UK network.

Here is how to turn if off
Thanks for the link. 😊 Not on 3, EE.

dave&di

Original Poster
An iPad is the simplest answer. For Android you’ll need one that meets the system requirements and has access to the Google Play store. You’re safe bets would be things like a more expensive Samsung Galaxy Tab and not necessarily something cheap like a Fire.
Thanks for the info, that’s good to know. I’m learning! 😁

dave&di

Original Poster
I like to point out that i am also there at rope drop until park closure. battery packs help mitigate the fact that we also don’t know the type of phone the OP and their battery life, so we never know, plus the age of the phone and battery could effect their drainage even faster especially older phones, charging stations are “stationary” and i like to be on the go, time at the parks is precious, but even if you plan using the phone minimally to use it for Rotr you have be aggressive with the boarding groups.

Even then this was back in march with getting boarding groups then, i am sure you can get it on more than twice in one day since it’s not crowded. i am also the type of the user who records ride videos and check for ride updates constantly, i know the OP doesn’t like technology but we have to use the wdw app for food reservations since nothing is walk on and is required to order food, photopass and ride updates. heck even if you are lost and need a restroom find real fast the app can help you find the nearest time.

needed a photopass location or know which character meet and greet was there? parade times, fireworks, This was before the closure so it shouldn’t be a massive issue, i cannot speak for the changes before their closures, but you know it was bad when they were or still are pushing for us to use everything in the upcoming Genie app.

i am just saying the app has a lot of perks, maps, locations to stores, you can skip the front desk at a resort and check into the hotel before setting foot at the resort and use it to open the door, restrooms, restaurants mobile orders, you can add your park tickets and never worry about leaving them somwhere, plus with kids the play disney apps keeps them busy while in queue. Just examples and it can be overwhelming for a lot of visitors, when i was there 2012 and went back in 2017 the changes they made for the app were too drastic i missed out on the upgraded fastpass system thinking i could get them every 1.5 hours like back in the day, ever since then never again but hahaha

but it’s way different now where the app might not even needed so i don’t know, but i like to err on the cautious side
Although I know technology is needed I will use it as little as possible, it’s just not part of me being relaxed and having the time of my life. I will use it for RofR (I’m having a hot flush just thinking of that anxiety!)😂 and probably getting FP’s. I will stick to the old fashioned way of queuing for food (I visit during September, not a major issue). I don’t want to worry about wifi signals or battery chargers. It is absolutely everything I want to get away from! I hate change! 😂

jaklgreen

I wouldn’t ideally want to carry one either, I can get one that 7 inches, I’d rather a tablet than a phone, but then I don’t want to carry either! 😂

If you are just planning on using a wifi device, you can just use your phone, turn off the data and set it so you don't get any updates and it will be the same thing as using a tablet.

dave&di

Original Poster
Another issue! ......This is why I hate technology.
I have tried to add myself as a guest on my OH account. It won’t “accept invitation” says “we’re having trouble finalising you’re request”. I also tried this yesterday.

MRGEFF

I am happy to state that I am one of five people on the planet that do not own a cell / smart phone.
:)

I've never needed to use one in any U.S. Disney Theme Park to date , and my last visit was 10 months ago.
I typically visit once a year choosing between either Coast, but prefer California these days.

It's terrific to not be a slave to a tiny tv screen when there is beautiful eye candy all around you.
For WDW, I reserve a few things in advance in the months leading up to a visit on a laptop at home and then for the most part just go and enjoy.
For Disneyland, I just walk in the front gates and decide on a whim what I feel like doing on the day with no 'reserving' months in advance, and just do it.

It can be done, and I don't wait in long lines or 'miss out' on things.
The time of year you visit, as well as time of the day / night make all the difference.
Experience helps, too.

Happy phone free Guest here!

:)

-
Totally agree about cell phones being soooooooooooooo unnecessary.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

So I am here now, and cell phones are more necessary now more then they have been. They pretty much force you to mobile order and are not the nicest when you say you want to go in. Plus they are limiting capacity in the indoor quick service restaurants so you might not be able to eat when you want. When you go to order with mobile ordering, they give you time slots that are available and they might not be for some time. They are not letting anyone in to the restaurant unless your order is ready.

NelleBelle

So I am here now, and cell phones are more necessary now more then they have been. They pretty much force you to mobile order and are not the nicest when you say you want to go in. Plus they are limiting capacity in the indoor quick service restaurants so you might not be able to eat when you want. When you go to order with mobile ordering, they give you time slots that are available and they might not be for some time. They are not letting anyone in to the restaurant unless your order is ready.
I’ve heard this and think this will become the new way of ordering. We did mobile ordering when we were at DLR last fall and I liked it except for people would place their order and the hover around the pick-up window so you couldn’t get your order when you finally got the notice it was ready! It was like swimming upstream and asking a bunch of people if they were getting their order, which of course they weren’t. Just move out of they way of the window!! They will let you know when your order is ready!!

dave&di

Original Poster
I’m glad this thread has popped up again. The advice I was given was to turn off data roaming (I’m from the UK and don’t want to use a phone for anything other than MDE/ RotR) and just use the Park WiFi.........I’ve since seen a vlog that says it’s better to get a BG when you use data not WiFi.....I’m confused 🙄

TrainsOfDisney

I’ve heard this and think this will become the new way of ordering. We did mobile ordering when we were at DLR last fall and I liked it except for people would place their order and the hover around the pick-up window so you couldn’t get your order when you finally got the notice it was ready! It was like swimming upstream and asking a bunch of people if they were getting their order, which of course they weren’t. Just move out of they way of the window!! They will let you know when your order is ready!!
I use mobile ordering a good amount but it shouldn’t be mandatory. Even now, there should be registers open for people who want to pay by cash, or have a question, or don’t have smart phone.

For a while, I would literally have to ask for a manger to get a traditional key card at the hotels. I don’t care if they want to encourage magic bands, but don’t argue with me if I want a traditional card. Same issue here, the option should be available and easy to use.

jaklgreen

I use mobile ordering a good amount but it shouldn’t be mandatory. Even now, there should be registers open for people who want to pay by cash, or have a question, or don’t have smart phone.

For a while, I would literally have to ask for a manger to get a traditional key card at the hotels. I don’t care if they want to encourage magic bands, but don’t argue with me if I want a traditional card. Same issue here, the option should be available and easy to use.
From what I have seen, Disney owned places are still taking cash, but some other places are not. I think one of the reasons why they are going with mobile order is to control the number of people in the restaurant.

NelleBelle

I’m glad this thread has popped up again. The advice I was given was to turn off data roaming (I’m from the UK and don’t want to use a phone for anything other than MDE/ RotR) and just use the Park WiFi.........I’ve since seen a vlog that says it’s better to get a BG when you use data not WiFi.....I’m confused 🙄
I've heard the same thing. I think the idea behind using data is that a lot of people are logged onto Disney's free wifi, which significantly can slow you down (their wifi is notoriously crap) whereas by using your own data plan, you can often times move much faster than wifi and get a BG. I know when I'm waiting at my kids' school for pick-up I'll automatically get connected to the school's wifi and loading this site will be extremely slow; shutting the wifi off and using my data, it loads instantly.

dave&di

Original Poster
I've heard the same thing. I think the idea behind using data is that a lot of people are logged onto Disney's free wifi, which significantly can slow you down (their wifi is notoriously crap) whereas by using your own data plan, you can often times move much faster than wifi and get a BG. I know when I'm waiting at my kids' school for pick-up I'll automatically get connected to the school's wifi and loading this site will be extremely slow; shutting the wifi off and using my data, it loads instantly.
Thanks for the reply. I don’t know if there are any issues with using data if from the UK 🙄. I’m so confused! 😂. At the moment I think it’s easier to forget RotR exists!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom