Are smart phones essential at the parks?

Figments Friend

I am happy to state that I am one of five people on the planet that do not own a cell / smart phone.
:)

I've never needed to use one in any U.S. Disney Theme Park to date , and my last visit was 10 months ago.
I typically visit once a year choosing between either Coast, but prefer California these days.

It's terrific to not be a slave to a tiny tv screen when there is beautiful eye candy all around you.
For WDW, I reserve a few things in advance in the months leading up to a visit on a laptop at home and then for the most part just go and enjoy.
For Disneyland, I just walk in the front gates and decide on a whim what I feel like doing on the day with no 'reserving' months in advance, and just do it.

It can be done, and I don't wait in long lines or 'miss out' on things.
The time of year you visit, as well as time of the day / night make all the difference.
Experience helps, too.

Happy phone free Guest here!

-

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

This is good to know, I hate technology. I want a FP ticket! I also want a plastic card with a picture of a character on to enter! I’m old school! 😂 I always used to have a souvenir album I would stick tickets and things in, I want evidence of my trip not just a phone! Don’t you need it for ‘virtue queues’? Another new thing for me!
As of now, you can still get a plastic card to use as your ticket and hotel room key.

Good to know. Do you not need to inform your phone company that it will be used abroad? Sorry I’m a complete novice! ☺
To use the WiFi? No, that has nothing to do with your service provider. You’ll want to speak with them so you can use your phone in an emergency and not be hit with any surprise fees.

dreamfinder912

while helpful, they're not a must. i have flip phone and I do just fine. but then again, i live here and i know exactly what i'm doing. since it's been a while if you want to enjoy the parks without having to remain in contact with real life via smartphone, study now. prepare now, and you'll be fine. plague or no plague, it's still disney and they will be there to help you.

dave&di

Original Poster
Thanks di: I don't know about VQ's, because I haven't tried one yet. We are not big star wars fans so we didn't even try for one in March this year (before the covid started). I think I read on here that a CM would help you with a VQ but it's not guaranteed you would get one. Maybe someone who has tried this could chime in! Disney without technology is completely doable. I don't keep my flip phone on at all, only if I need to make a call when I am out. I don't want to stare at a phone all day while at WDW, but I'm "old school" too. Everything seems to be going towards using a smart phone now, but there are ways to not use one. Have a great trip.
Thanks. 😁

dave&di

Original Poster
I wouldn't say it is essential to have one, but it makes many transactions easier. More than once, having a phone has saved the day, so to speak. Or at least having my phone saved me from a headache that would have otherwise cost an hour or 3 to fix.

Pulling up all your confirmation numbers on the fly. (Conf # for return flight boarding passes! Needed NOW!)
Pictures- not just for fun, but to do things like to note a parking spot, receipts, etc.
GPS

Right now, it might not matter, but if crowds return to WDW, a smartphone can mean the difference between getting a 4th, 6th, 7th, FP every day, or not getting one. Even if no line, going to the kiosk takes time, and you get luck of the draw (for FP choices).
Smartphone = more opportunity to modify your FP.
No phone= FP for Dumbo.
Phone = FP for Space Mtn.
I see your point. Explained very well, although I would love a FP for Dumbo, I would never ride SM! 🤢

Lilofan

while helpful, they're not a must. i have flip phone and I do just fine. but then again, i live here and i know exactly what i'm doing. since it's been a while if you want to enjoy the parks without having to remain in contact with real life via smartphone, study now. prepare now, and you'll be fine. plague or no plague, it's still disney and they will be there to help you.
Flip phone is sometimes all what people need in life for a phone. I survived buying calling cards before the flip phone generation. Jerry Jones billionaire owner of the Dallas Cowboys still uses a flip phone.

Last edited:

dave&di

Original Poster
I am happy to state that I am one of five people on the planet that do not own a cell / smart phone.

I've never needed to use one in any U.S. Disney Theme Park to date , and my last visit was 10 months ago.
I typically visit once a year choosing between either Coast, but prefer California these days.

It's terrific to not be a slave to a tiny tv screen when there is beautiful eye candy all around you.
For WDW, I reserve a few things in advance in the months leading up to a visit on a laptop at home and then for the most part just go and enjoy.
For Disneyland, I just walk in the front gates and decide on a whim what I feel like doing on the day with no 'reserving' months in advance, and just do it.

It can be done, and I don't wait in long lines or 'miss out' on things.
The time of year you visit, as well as time of the day / night make all the difference.
Experience helps, too.

Happy phone free Guest here!

-
How refreshing to hear! 🎉 I didn’t even have a modern phone until 2 years ago, I still don’t know what to do with it, (except calls and texts!) WDW was always my place to escape proper life! I have 2 years to try to adapt or decide not to! We always went in September so would aim for September 2022.

dave&di

Original Poster
Yeah I’m trying to get back in touch with how the technology is working at WDW, I have 2 years and I’m sure things will progress over time anyway, not a bad project to have!

mergatroid

No problem, have you on my friends list on here and would check every so often to see if you'd been on.

With regards to a smart phone. I've got a cheapish Samsung android smart phone which was around £120 with no contract. My 'deal' is if I put £10 a month on I get unlimited calls and texts but very little downloading. As I use a tablet or pc in the house for browsing etc, this is perfect for me.

If I don't put the £10 on by the 20th of a month, it just stops me making outgoing calls etc. Then to restart it I put £10 on and the cycle begins again (if that makes sense). So no contract as such. If you want further details like the exact phone name and provider just let me know and I'll dig them out for you.

Again, welcome back.

John park hopper

I'm an old dog with a flip phone and have no desire for a smart phone but I do have several magic bands from previous trips. Dose any one know it the batteries can be replaced in the MB. We won't be going to WDW until Feb 2022 and I would think the batteries would be toast by then

dave&di

Original Poster
No problem, have you on my friends list on here and would check every so often to see if you'd been on.

With regards to a smart phone. I've got a cheapish Samsung android smart phone which was around £120 with no contract. My 'deal' is if I put £10 a month on I get unlimited calls and texts but very little downloading. As I use a tablet or pc in the house for browsing etc, this is perfect for me.

If I don't put the £10 on by the 20th of a month, it just stops me making outgoing calls etc. Then to restart it I put £10 on and the cycle begins again (if that makes sense). So no contract as such. If you want further details like the exact phone name and provider just let me know and I'll dig them out for you.

Again, welcome back.
I remember! Good to see you’re still active on here, it’s good to see a few familiar names! How are you?
Thanks again for the info. I have a (I think!) smart phone, I just don’t really know how to use it! So have you been to the parks since smart phones were useful/needed in the parks?

mergatroid

I remember! Good to see you’re still active on here, it’s good to see a few familiar names! How are you?
Thanks again for the info. I have a (I think!) smart phone, I just don’t really know how to use it! So have you been to the parks since smart phones were useful/needed in the parks?

Yes we're great thanks. My wife takes her smart phone and tends to use it to check wait times etc and we use our magic bands for access etc. When we go next year in March (hopefully), we'll need it to join the virtual queue for Rise Of The Resistance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom