Are homemade tip envelopes too "dorky" to give hired vehicle drivers?

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
We've always made our own envelopes to use when we tip housekeeping staff -- usually from colorful cardstock with a pretty pattern and the words, "Thank You Housekeeping" printed on the front -- so the housekeepers don't accidentally overlook their tip, and can be sure it's intended for them.

For our upcoming trip, we've reserved private town car transportation for our airport transfers, and for our mid-week move from a Universal Hotel to WDW. I had some extra homemade gratuity envelopes (in a sedate black-and-white toile cardstock pattern with the words "Thank You" in silver foil stickers) that I was going to use for the town car driver tips, but now I'm second-guessing myself. Are they too amateurish or dorky for use in that context? Is it more appropriate simply to hand over the naked cash or a tip in a plain white envelope? Or do you think the drivers even care? I just don't know whether they'll come off as a "sweet personal touch," or "oh look, it must have been craft time at the old folks' home!" All three rides will be with the same company, so I don't want to develop a reputation as that poor rube who can't seem to afford storebought envelopes.

Your thoughts -- especially if you're a savvy business traveler, which I have not been for nearly 20 years now -- are appreciated. :)

Last edited:

lewisc

Either way the driver will appreciate the tip. I think its dorky. It's not like leaving a tip for housekeeping. The driver knows its a tip when you hand it to him

Figgy1

Premium Member
We've always made our own envelopes to use when we tip housekeeping staff -- usually from colorful cardstock with a pretty pattern and the words, "Thank You Housekeeping" printed on the front -- so the housekeepers don't accidentally overlook their tip, and can be sure it's intended for them.

For our upcoming trip, we've reserved private town car transportation for our airport transfers, and for our mid-week move from a Universal Hotel to WDW. I had some extra homemade gratuity envelopes (in a sedate black-and-white toile cardstock pattern with the words "Thank You" in silver foil stickers) that I was going to use for the town car driver tips, but now I'm second-guessing myself. Are they too amateurish or dorky for use in that context? Is it more appropriate simply to hand over the naked cash or a tip in a plain white envelope? Or do you think the drivers even care? I just don't know whether they'll come off as a "sweet personal touch," or "oh look, it must have been craft time at the old folks' home!" All three rides will be with the same company, so I don't want to develop a reputation as that poor rube who can't seem to afford storebought envelopes.

Your thoughts -- especially if you're a savvy business traveler, which I have not been for nearly 20 years now -- are appreciated. :)
I think it's a brilliant and fun idea! IMHO the odds of bringing a smile to somebody who may be having a rough day is worth it.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member

Go for it! You may just brighten someone's day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom