April vs. Sept Disney World Trip?

Scit143Mama

Hi there -- new to the forums. We are looking at a trip to Disney World with our two kids (who will be 5 and 7 years old) -- considering either a full week in April between 4/11-18, or waiting until September (later in month, prob 9/25-9/29) but only going for four nights. I've read the crowds are pretty light in September, and I'm guessing they're pretty bad in April (as its around so many spring break weeks).

Wondering if those of you who have experience at these times of year have strong feelings/opinions about going or not going in April -- will our experience be that much worse in the crowds? Is it worth it to wait until Sept but go for fewer days? Would love to get the most bang for our buck.

We went in late October two years ago and I'd say the crowds were "moderate" but heavier than we were expecting. Also, my older son (who is 6 turning 7 next year, and was only 4 on our last trip) has autism so we also weight the crowds on how much he can handle for wait times, etc. Anyone with particular insight into an ASD child's experience in the parks at certain times vs. others, I'm all ears!

Thank you!!

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
The weather is better in April. Crowd-wise, September is better overall.

EDIT: I just noticed your child’s needs. Obviously crowd level is more important than weather. Have you used the Disability Access Service?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

Hi there -- new to the forums. We are looking at a trip to Disney World with our two kids (who will be 5 and 7 years old) -- considering either a full week in April between 4/11-18, or waiting until September (later in month, prob 9/25-9/29) but only going for four nights. I've read the crowds are pretty light in September, and I'm guessing they're pretty bad in April (as its around so many spring break weeks).

Wondering if those of you who have experience at these times of year have strong feelings/opinions about going or not going in April -- will our experience be that much worse in the crowds? Is it worth it to wait until Sept but go for fewer days? Would love to get the most bang for our buck.

We went in late October two years ago and I'd say the crowds were "moderate" but heavier than we were expecting. Also, my older son (who is 6 turning 7 next year, and was only 4 on our last trip) has autism so we also weight the crowds on how much he can handle for wait times, etc. Anyone with particular insight into an ASD child's experience in the parks at certain times vs. others, I'm all ears!

Thank you!!
My friends were there Sept 13 to around the 19th and said the crowds were really not that bad. Fastpasses help and their longest wait was 45 minutes for one ride. They said it probably would have been even less crowded but many people there were ones that that were moved because of the hurricane in the carolinas and they had opted to make a vacation to Disneyworld out of it.

Upvote 0

Scit143Mama

Original Poster
The weather is better in April. Crowd-wise, September is better overall.

EDIT: I just noticed your child’s needs. Obviously crowd level is more important than weather. Have you used the Disability Access Service?

We would like to use the DAS this coming trip, but didn't last time - they were small enough that we weren't trying to go on as many rides and just used FP+ and did the low-key stuff. This coming trip, since they're older and will want to do more (and my son's needs are so different from my daughter's, they will want to do different things - she can handle dark rides, but he can't, for example), I think we will really want to use the DAS, but I'm not sure how to explain his needs/disability to the cast members ... is there a thread with DAS related questions here? I'll see if I can search for it ... thank you for your response!

Upvote 0

MickeyMan36

In April, the weather will be very nice. Dry and not too hot, but you will still be dealing with late spring breaks at the time that you quoted. For many years, I took my kids out of school and went in late September. The crowds were always very low, and while the weather can be wet, it is usually hot which allows you access to more water options (water parks and pools). The Not So Scary Halloween Party is really cool as well. We always came back with tons of candy from the trick or treating. I always took the fewer crowd option. BUT.......... A week vs 4 nights? Hands down a week. Is that even a question? ;)

Upvote 0

Nemo14

We went once in April and vowed never again. My 2 year old nephew was still in a stroller at that point, and there were many times that you could not push a stroller through the crowds in MK. Easter is April 19 next year, so not only will there be college kids on Spring Break, but many schools throughout the country have an easter break beginning the Thursday before, or even earlier. Go with September - you'll have a much better time, unless of course you have to deal with a hurricane. :joyfull:

Upvote 0

Scit143Mama

Original Poster
We went once in April and vowed never again. My 2 year old nephew was still in a stroller at that point, and there were many times that you could not push a stroller through the crowds in MK. Easter is April 19 next year, so not only will there be college kids on Spring Break, but many schools throughout the country have an easter break beginning the Thursday before, or even earlier. Go with September - you'll have a much better time, unless of course you have to deal with a hurricane. :joyfull:
Thank you so much -- I'm leaning more and more away from April right now. Def getting travel insurance for late September if we book that, haha! ;) To me, I think, its worth it to pull the kids out of school for a few days (they're so young!) and have a more calm experience. I have always said "I will never go to WDW at high crowd times" and then my husband started trying to talk me into April .... against my better judgement.

Upvote 0

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
We would like to use the DAS this coming trip, but didn't last time - they were small enough that we weren't trying to go on as many rides and just used FP+ and did the low-key stuff. This coming trip, since they're older and will want to do more (and my son's needs are so different from my daughter's, they will want to do different things - she can handle dark rides, but he can't, for example), I think we will really want to use the DAS, but I'm not sure how to explain his needs/disability to the cast members ... is there a thread with DAS related questions here? I'll see if I can search for it ... thank you for your response!

Official information from Disney:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/

My own information: You won’t need to go into great detail about your child’s needs. I’m not saying whether this basic statement applies in your situation, but I’ll use it as an example: “My child has sensory processing issues and they are unable to handle waiting in a line for long with lots of people around.”

You won’t need medical proof whatsoever. The CMs are very helpful and understanding.

Upvote 0

Scit143Mama

Original Poster
Official information from Disney:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/

My own information: You won’t need to go into great detail about your child’s needs. I’m not saying whether this basic statement applies in your situation, but I’ll use it as an example: “My child has sensory processing issues and they are unable to handle waiting in a line for long with lots of people around.”

You won’t need medical proof whatsoever. The CMs are very helpful and understanding.

That's really helpful - thanks! I honestly think we qualify and could really benefit from it, but I am so conscious about asking for "extra help" and would probably tend to over-explain and ramble. It's good to know that keeping it simple and basic is okay (and your statement would definitely apply to my child as well, among other things). Appreciate that, that the link.

One other question: do you have to get the DAS from each park each day? Or can it be applied to your family's My Disney Experience account for the entire stay and multiple park visits? Didn't see that on the website.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

We were in MK for our first park visit of our trip. DW went to city hall in MK to sign up for the DAS. They took down her info, took her photo, loaded the DAS on her magic band. Then everyone in our party had to have their MB's scanned to link us together to her pass. We didnt have to do it at any other park after that.

Upvote 0

Scit143Mama

Original Poster
That's great to hear @JIMINYCR ! Thank you -- it would be really emotionally exhausting to have to go to the guest services desk to explain our child's disability/special needs every single day at a park!

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
As @JIMINYCR said go to Guest Services on your way in on your first day so get there an extra 15 or 20 minutes earlier than planned and the CM will link everything together for you. The GAC is good for up to 30 days Also take advantage of rider swap. Good luck

Last edited:
Upvote 0

crawale

Thank you!!
As a Floridian I have to warn you that September is peak hurricane month. We just got back and the crowds were pretty bad - weather was very hot too. Toy Story Land was especially crowded. If you went for a week you could pace yourselves - going back to the hotel and parks early or late. This would be less tiring and stressful for the older child.

Upvote 0

LeighM

We went twice the end of September/beginning of October. We had high crowds both times we were there in 2015 and 2016. It was horribly hot and humid (and we're used to the humidity where we're from!) and it impacted how much we could enjoy the Food and Wine Festival, which is why we planned during that time (F&W and MNSSHP). We went both times to the Halloween party and had a blast - but it was soooooo hot. And the parties were crowded on the nights we went. Plus, our trip was impacted by Hurricane Matthew in 2016. Another previous trip, we had smaller impacts from a hurricane in the Gulf but it didn't cause park closure like Matthew. After 2016, my husband and I said we were done with September/October. The crowds really triggered my anxiety the last time. I haven't been in April yet but have gone twice in March. We found the weather much more pleasant - although it was still stressful bc of concerns of snowstorms affecting our ability to get back home LOL. Just look at the crowd calendars to get some idea of what the busiest week is expected to be and avoid that week, if possible, and when Easter falls. But we're done with March as well, because of snow back home. Now I'm planning all of my future trips to fall within April or May :) I think the parks are so much prettier in the spring, especially Epcot during the Flower and Garden Festival.

Upvote 0

shaibmontachir

Thank you!!
As my past experience, September is quite better than April. The food and wine festival start this time

Upvote 0

eliza61nyc

My vote is for September.
My oldest son is an Aspergers kid and truthfully we really didn't need the DAS card when he was a kid BUT this was back in the late 90's early 2000's when he was young.

My kids love, love love the water so September while hot was perfect for swimming. Also we only went once in April but it was also "all day" rainy. In september we did have rain but it was that summer storm type where the entire day will be sunny and then wham a storm moves through for an hour.

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
We went twice the end of September/beginning of October. We had high crowds both times we were there in 2015 and 2016. It was horribly hot and humid (and we're used to the humidity where we're from!) and it impacted how much we could enjoy the Food and Wine Festival, which is why we planned during that time (F&W and MNSSHP). We went both times to the Halloween party and had a blast - but it was soooooo hot. And the parties were crowded on the nights we went. Plus, our trip was impacted by Hurricane Matthew in 2016. Another previous trip, we had smaller impacts from a hurricane in the Gulf but it didn't cause park closure like Matthew. After 2016, my husband and I said we were done with September/October. The crowds really triggered my anxiety the last time. I haven't been in April yet but have gone twice in March. We found the weather much more pleasant - although it was still stressful bc of concerns of snowstorms affecting our ability to get back home LOL. Just look at the crowd calendars to get some idea of what the busiest week is expected to be and avoid that week, if possible, and when Easter falls. But we're done with March as well, because of snow back home. Now I'm planning all of my future trips to fall within April or May :) I think the parks are so much prettier in the spring, especially Epcot during the Flower and Garden Festival.
X2 on the hot. Just got back and it was... hot.

Upvote 0
September and April are both nice times to visit weather-wise.

WDW is less crowded in September and the park will be decorated for Halloween. You can also attend the MNSSHP and Food and Wine Festival at that time of year. The prices will be lower in September also.

April will see Spring Break crowds but it is still manageable with a good touring plan as long as you avoid Easter at all cost (park attendance is at its highest all year.) You'll have to contend with higher prices too in April compared to September. April has cooler temperatures in the morning and at night which is nice. And Epcot's Flower and Garden Festival is at that time of year and is so pretty.

Personally, I would just choose the April dates just because you said you can take a longer vacation during that time of year. I find longer the vacations, make for more relaxing trips. That way you can do some pool days in between your park days or just schedule an afternoon break.

If you would like to see what to bring to the WDW Park for yourself and the kids, I posted a couple of videos on Youtube:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom