applying discount post-booking

dig311dug

a question i'm sure has been asked a thousand times before...

Can I book now and hypothetically apply a discount when it becomes available?
(specifically a future room discount for October)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Yes. If there's a discount that applies to the same resort and type of room, you can call and ask them to apply the discount. If it doesn't apply to the room type you've booked, they may offer something better that'll still cost less.

Upvote 0

21stamps

So if I book a room only reservation right now, if a passholder's discount comes out later this month, then I can just have the discount applied to the same room..and get a credit for the difference of the already paid night?

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

So if I book a room only reservation right now, if a passholder's discount comes out later this month, then I can just have the discount applied to the same room..and get a credit for the difference of the already paid night?
As longer as there is availability for the same room category at the resort. If you booked online, there should be a "Change Reservation" option in your MDE account and you should be able to do it yourself once the passholder discount is released.

I did this for an All Star room in May and saved a whopping $13...but that credit can pay for breakfast :D.

Upvote 0

21stamps

As longer as there is availability for the same room category at the resort. If you booked online, there should be a "Change Reservation" option in your MDE account and you should be able to do it yourself once the passholder discount is released.

I did this for an All Star room in May and saved a whopping $13...but that credit can pay for breakfast :D.

Thank you. I didn't know that. Really I shouldn't do it.. im not totally 100% sure if I really want to go, but I am 100% certain that we will definitely not go without a discount.
I probably shouldn't tie up the room.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Thank you. I didn't know that. Really I shouldn't do it.. im not totally 100% sure if I really want to go, but I am 100% certain that we will definitely not go without a discount.
I probably shouldn't tie up the room.
I knew we were going and since All Stars are cheap I didn't mind booking at full price. When the AP discount came out I checked to see if it applied and changed the ressie.

Theory is that if everyone books at full price while waiting for a discount, less discounts will be offered since Disney has less incentive to do so since rooms are already "booked."

Upvote 0

21stamps

I knew we were going and since All Stars are cheap I didn't mind booking at full price. When the AP discount came out I checked to see if it applied and changed the ressie.

Theory is that if everyone books at full price while waiting for a discount, less discounts will be offered since Disney has less incentive to do so since rooms are already "booked."
Your situation sounds like it was perfect for that. I'm still torn on if I actually want to do Disney over 4th of July. It would only be 3-4 nights..still though..Heat, and crowds, I just don't know.

I definitely think that theory makes sense, and is probably true. By the time I make up my mind..and when discounts come up.. I'll probably be out of luck anyway.lol. There's only one resort/room type that I want during that time. I'd be willing to actually say 2 room types..but same resort.

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

Your situation sounds like it was perfect for that. I'm still torn on if I actually want to do Disney over 4th of July. It would only be 3-4 nights..still though..Heat, and crowds, I just don't know.

I definitely think that theory makes sense, and is probably true. By the time I make up my mind..and when discounts come up.. I'll probably be out of luck anyway.lol. There's only one resort/room type that I want during that time. I'd be willing to actually say 2 room types..but same resort.

I would not go in July. So much nicer when the weather is less intense. And for what it costs to go…

Also, to clarify one point: I booked the Grand Floridian in advance, was able to discount it later with a bounce back offer, however I did not get a refund on the difference for the first night paid. Obviously the balance due went down, which is fine, less to pay later.

Upvote 0

21stamps

I would not go in July. So much nicer when the weather is less intense. And for what it costs to go…

Also, to clarify one point: I booked the Grand Floridian in advance, was able to discount it later with a bounce back offer, however I did not get a refund on the difference for the first night paid. Obviously the balance due went down, which is fine, less to pay later.

I have a week open in Florida.. trying to use my AP..lol. I'm undecided because like I said, heat and crowds.. but also I don't know if I feel like driving. We cruise out of Port of Miami, but we'll most likely be flying in and out of FLL (I hate MIA).

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

I have a week open in Florida.. trying to use my AP..lol. I'm undecided because like I said, heat and crowds.. but also I don't know if I feel like driving. We cruise out of Port of Miami, but we'll most likely be flying in and out of FLL (I hate MIA).

I pretty much hate Miami, period. LOL. Just driving and parking are enough to make me hate it. And I have to speak on a panel there in a few weeks at a music convention.

From there, I think you already know, you're looking at a good 3 to 4 Hour drive.

You know what might be a fun alternative is to just take the shorter drive to the upper or middle keys, hit the turtle rescue place, etc. (assuming your son is with you on this trip.)

Also just throwing this out there, sometimes you can get a spirit airfare for $20 each way from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando. It leaves here around 8 AM and you can come back the same day around 9 PM

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
If a discount comes out you can certainly try to have that discount applied. I know that when they come out, my agents pull up their clients reservations online to apply the discount (AP also) which makes it very easy for us as long as the site works lol
There are specific hotels/room categories that are never included also
If your hotel or room type is close to or at full capacity that will not be included. If you are booked the 1st-5th for example and they are totally booked for the 4th, it will not give you the discount on that room/hotel depending on which is totally full.
I tell my clients to have a back up hotel in mind. Most of the time we are ok if I just have to switch the room type so that the discount is applied since many people love their first choice of hotel.

I hope that helps

Pam

Upvote 0

21stamps

I pretty much hate Miami, period. LOL. Just driving and parking are enough to make me hate it. And I have to speak on a panel there in a few weeks at a music convention.

From there, I think you already know, you're looking at a good 3 to 4 Hour drive.

You know what might be a fun alternative is to just take the shorter drive to the upper or middle keys, hit the turtle rescue place, etc. (assuming your son is with you on this trip.)

Also just throwing this out there, sometimes you can get a spirit airfare for $20 each way from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando. It leaves here around 8 AM and you can come back the same day around 9 PM

My bestie has offered to go with us..and drive.. if we just do one day at MK, or Pandora. I'm not sold on that. It means I would have to break up my non expiring, only 2 days left..don't really want to do single days. I'm probably not using it if I go though.
As it stands now I'm debating between 4 scenarios-
1. Poly for 3 or 4 nights. 2 MK days, 1 AK/HS day (AK for Pandora only), 1 resort day.
2. Hawks Cay (Duck Key)
3. Key Largo..don't know where I would stay there..I've never spent more than a few hours on that island.
4. Just stay in PBC (Boca) or maybe even Ft Lauderdale Beach. I've even considered Hollywood just for a more laid back atmosphere nearby.
Definitely not staying in Miami.

Either way, the day before the cruise we are doing an airboat ride and then just chillin' the rest of the day. I am the WORST at vacation planning. I change my mind too many times.

Upvote 0

Rob562

So do they actually change the reservation or cancel and rebook. I've heard arguments of both ways. Just curious.

It depends on the existing reservation. If you're booked on a Room Only and want a room only discount offer, then they can just apply it. Same goes for packages.

The problem comes when you try to switch from one type to the other. In those instances they almost always have to cancel and rebook.

-Rob

Upvote 0

sophie_the_pooh

It depends on the existing reservation. If you're booked on a Room Only and want a room only discount offer, then they can just apply it. Same goes for packages.

The problem comes when you try to switch from one type to the other. In those instances they almost always have to cancel and rebook.

-Rob

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a related question. If you change a room only reservation from one resort to another because a discount became available, do you know if your deposit/payment is transferred or refunded and then charged again? I'm just asking because it makes a difference for me here in Montreal because of the exchange rate...:(

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a related question. If you change a room only reservation from one resort to another because a discount became available, do you know if your deposit/payment is transferred or refunded and then charged again? I'm just asking because it makes a difference for me here in Montreal because of the exchange rate...:(
Refunded and charged again

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
If you are changing resorts, no it stays the same. The only time you have to cancel and rebook is if you are going from a room only to a package with tickets or dining. The reservation number and deposit stay put if you are simply changing hotels to get a discount, whether its a room only or a package. If it's a room only and the new hotel/room is slightly more, you will need to pay the difference since the room only deposit is equal to 1 nights stay versus a flat $200 for a pkg.

Pam

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom