Applied Imagineering - Doing Real Stuff for Real

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
So, I have, over the years, done little promotional stuff, displays, and games at the movie theater I work at (well, past several years I work seasonally when I'm home from college).

Essentially really small scale real life Imagineering projects.

It gave me the idea to make a thread where people can post examples of them using the skills they use on this site in real life!

Did you paint something beautiful, make a game, decorate a home? Big or small, this is the place for Applied Imagineering!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I'll start this off with a game/display I made for the premier weekend for Incredibles 2 at the movie theater I work at.

20180613_153538.jpg

Budget: $5 (poster board, craft foam, and black paint)

The concept was to make something that could work as a visually interesting display for the times we were too busy to have someone manning the game, yet still function as a fun game.

The idea is that you are helping the Incredibles stop their most fiendish villains! Syndrome and Underminer in the city and Screensaver on top of a large television broadcasting a hypnotic signal!

How do you help? By throwing your Incredi-Disks to knock down the bad guys!

20180613_153549.jpg

These were actually plastic lids from a collectible kids cup where they sent us way more lids than cups (I believe secret life of pets). So, we had an excess of these small plastic disks. I hot glued two together to be the proper weight and then added the logo to hide that it's a lid. All together I made 9 of them.

You would get one practice throw and then three real throws.

100 points for knocking down Syndrome or Underminer.

200 points for knocking down Screenslaver

-100 points for knocking down the Happy meal toy of Elastigirl I added to the display later

Though in practicallity, most of the time it was very small kids just throwing the disks over and over again with not final score.

It was a lot of fun and a big hit!

There was plans for more. There was going to be super hero coloring pages so guests could help Edna design their super suits (No Capes!). But we had a supply issue that week and decided not to risk being short on paper.

But the painting I did of Edna was still set up as a display.

20180613_164210.jpg

One last note, I was also thinking ahead as I designed this. The disks can easily have different logos added. The targets were made so the villains can be easily removed and swapped out with new targets. One afternoon is all it would take to have a whole new game set up.

Plus, the omnidroid was a separate piece from the rest of the city skyline, so that city can be reused for displays and games in the future.

20180613_153545.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
This is more of a HGTV tip;) - but have you ever walked into a Walt Disney World Resort hotel and thought - hmm it smells really nice in here?The lobby/hallways in particular of the Beach Club, Grand Floridian, etc have a distinct scent to them. I did some research and found out the scent is called Green Clover & Aloe (I'm sure some knew this ahead of time but it was news to me) and I was able to find a candle that had the same scent.

So now our house smells like a Disney Resort:D
vid201.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom